Competitive Event Compilation

TriSkeet

Competitive Event Compilation

Post by TriSkeet » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:19 pm

Hello everyone,
I am an owner of one GSP, Triton. I have started training him just with basic commands. Looking to move forward with his training, I have been researching and gathering tips. Additionally I have noticed there are certain associations as well as competitive events available like Field Tests and trials. I have yet to find a complete list and may never find a complete list, what other competitive events are available? How did y'all get started with events? Do y'all ever do any agility or dock dogs competitions? Personally looking for a new hobby and my pup is very ambitious and smart. Thank you in advance for any input!

Stephanie

Ps. I've been scanning the forum and may have missed a similar post, if someone can reference me to the already existing post that would be much appreciated!

smoothbean

Re: Competitive Event Compilation

Post by smoothbean » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:30 am

Where are you from?
I also have GSP's.
I compete in UFTA trials, BDC and BHU trials. I have also done Ultimate Air Dog Dock Jumping. I would like to compete in some shed hunting competitions but don't have any close to me. I have been thinking of hosting one myself to get it started in my area.

GunDogAdventures

Post by GunDogAdventures » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:59 am

Welcome to the forum Stephanie! We've got 1 GSP currently, will pick our 2nd up on the 16th of this month and are 3rd in line for a female out of a litter expected to be born today. I entered a NSTRA trial (www.nstra.org) last fall on a whim and have found the Lone Star chapter very friendly and helpful. I just showed up and ran figuring we could learn as we go. I also entered our current GSP, Lily, in a Trinity Valley Weimaraner Hunt Test last fall, in which she passed her first leg. We are planning on AKC Hunt Tests and Field Trials for these next two while continuing in NSTRA. For me, the best way to find out was to do my homework online and then get out and jump in!! Good luck with your pup - you chose a great breed!!!

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:25 am

One of my Vizslas competes in AKC hunt tests, Trials, Agility, Conformation, Obedience and has also trained for NAVHDA. They have plenty of brain space if you have the resources to fill it. :D

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:14 am

TriSkeet wrote:Hello everyone,
I am an owner of one GSP, Triton. I have started training him just with basic commands. Looking to move forward with his training, I have been researching and gathering tips. Additionally I have noticed there are certain associations as well as competitive events available like Field Tests and trials. I have yet to find a complete list and may never find a complete list, what other competitive events are available? How did y'all get started with events? Do y'all ever do any agility or dock dogs competitions? Personally looking for a new hobby and my pup is very ambitious and smart. Thank you in advance for any input!

Stephanie

Ps. I've been scanning the forum and may have missed a similar post, if someone can reference me to the already existing post that would be much appreciated!

Welcome to the forum!

It would be quite a list depending on where you live.
I started as a know- nothing in dog tests Jr. Pretty simple , but you get to talk to lots of experienced people who welcome you and so your learning begins.
One day I was driving in the country and came upon a trial. I stopped and watched and said "I want to do that." Much more difficult, but many years of enjoyment followed. ( Trials are competitive; tests/NAVHDA are not - your dog is measured against a standard.)

Add your location and folks in your area will be glad to let you know what is happening this Fall in your area. Highly recommend visiting these events before jumping in with both feet.

Here's a FEW:

http://strideaway.com/field-trial-links/

edit: Don't forget the cover dog trials which are only on wild birds.
Last edited by Sharon on Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

5andaback

Post by 5andaback » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:47 pm

Go watch as many different events as you can. Then pick the format you like best.