Letting your dog around your quail pen?

sethonthefly

Letting your dog around your quail pen?

Post by sethonthefly » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:04 am

Wasn't paying attention and my 4 month old Brittany snuck in my shop where I keep my quail. Will this do any harm? On another note, for those who saw my post about my brittany with the dwarf legs, we decided to return him to the breeder. They refunded the money, and though it was traumatic for my two little girls, fortunately I was able to surprise them with a new brittany (from another breeder) the very next day. We couldn't be happier and the new pup is doing great. That's his pic in the avatar. Thanks for input.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Re: Letting your dog around your quail pen?

Post by Neil » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:04 am

If you did not overreact and correct him, it is all good.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:02 pm

Long as he can't get to them you're alright. That's a good looking puppy in your avatar. To bad it's not a setter! lol

GSP7

Post by GSP7 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:40 pm

Sneaking around finding quail ?

:mrgreen:

nevermind

Post by nevermind » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:33 am

I have wild quail in our neighborhood and my dog is always into them. I'll find him on point while working out in the yard, after awhile I'll either flush the birds or release him...cause the birds usually have moved on. I haven't seen where this is has been a problem at all.... I just can't see the harm in a dog finding birds...but what do I know I'm a hunter not a trainer.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:09 pm

nevermind wrote:I have wild quail in our neighborhood and my dog is always into them. I'll find him on point while working out in the yard, after awhile I'll either flush the birds or release him...cause the birds usually have moved on. I haven't seen where this is has been a problem at all.... I just can't see the harm in a dog finding birds...but what do I know I'm a hunter not a trainer.
Sound like a trainer to me. :wink:

Charlie

winchester pre64

Post by winchester pre64 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:58 pm

I have a 6 x 12 pigeon loft divided in the middle. Back half holds my pigeons, front half I keep their food, water, medications, launchers, ect. and my 10 mo GSP goes inside the loft every day when I feed them, I let her remain in the front of the loft while I feed and water the pigeons approx 5 min. She will stand patiently watching the pigeons feeding, on point but not an intense point. When we train on pigeons 3-4 times a week she is very intense on point and steady to wing and shot, (quail not availible right now in my area for steady to fall) and will not move until release. I am not an experienced trainer at all, but it's what did the trick on steading up my pup, she is intense and steady on point but relaxed not over excited waiting to break.