Recommendation on upland chaps

duckn66

Recommendation on upland chaps

Post by duckn66 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:43 am

I'd like to find a myself a nice pair of upland chaps but am unsure of which ones. I have been looking at the Filsons but I have heard that attention needs to be given to the oil cloth which I am not sure of what that entails. My basic requirement for a pair is easy on easy off (at least partial zipper), light weight (I tend to run hot even on cold days). I've always worn bibs but I tend to get to hot during the course of the day with those. Most days for me are a long sleeve shirt and upland vest.

deke

Re: Recommendation on upland chaps

Post by deke » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:21 am

I love my filsons, bought the single layer ones and had a 6 in zipper put into the bottom. They are very easy to re-oil ( I think its wax though) . All you do is rub some between your fingers and coat the material. Just like oiling boots, except you only need to do it once per season. I put mine on fairly heavy because we hunt in rain a lot.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:30 pm

Since you can no longer buy Wicks, Nite Light sell some on line nearly as good at a fair price. Filson makes great products, the chaps are just too heavy.

Big Dave

Post by Big Dave » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:53 pm

Anybody wear Boyts?

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:59 pm

Mule brand chaps.... Tough durable and nice big pockets

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:21 pm

I have a pair that I bought at Gander mountain 35 yrs ago. The fabric is a heavy nylon. Each leg has a zipper. It loops over my belt. Light enough to roll up and store in game bag if it gets hot. Waterproof, great for snow, lightweight, easy to put on & off. sheds brambles thistle and tumble weeds. If they every wear out ,I am taking them to a tailor and get new ones made.

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:34 pm

Oldbeek would those chaps be gander mountain brand chaps?

atothek

Post by atothek » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:56 pm

Has anyone tried any of the orvis pants? I would rather spend a little extra $ if I am going to get a pant that lasts longer.
Thanks
Aaron

Munster

Post by Munster » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:53 pm

I wanted a pair of chaps. But when I then about the mornings that we hunt with heavy dew. Walking through tall grass gives you a wet crotch and diaper rash! :oops: :D So now I am looking for pants with articulated knees. I have been using my ice fishing bibs ( Frabils) and they have been a dream, but are wearing out. On the wettest days I stay dry and on the coldest days all I have to wear is long underwear under the bibs to stay warm. SO the search begins again.

P&PGunsmith

Post by P&PGunsmith » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:45 am

i have been using the Cabelas dry plus chaps and i also have Filson. i rarely use the filson, they are just too hot. The dry plus are light and for the most part waterproof. i can wear mine in our mild climate, Depending on the climate any chap is going to be warm.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:28 pm

Filsons are too dang hot and stiff. No thinks. I have an old set of Orvis I use, about 20 years old now. Really though, the last few years I've gone to the brush buster jeans and I'm happy with them. I hate the darn chaps pulling down on your belt all the time.

Sodey

Post by Sodey » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:18 pm

I highly recommend Orvis and Filson chaps. Orvis are my go to because they are much lighter and more flexible. They go on and off easier too, because they zip at the bottom. Filsons work great for late season warmth. Orvis are maintenance free. Filsons get a 10 minute coat of wax once a year. (I saw recently that Filson has a model that zips now too)

blanked

Post by blanked » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:57 am

My filson single tin cloth are not stiff at all . Got them last year and they are just right.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:02 pm

duckn66 wrote:Oldbeek would those chaps be gander mountain brand chaps?
Just remember I got them through gander mountain. Tried to find the same chaps for my grandson recently and could not find them.

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:12 am

Filson double tins....................

mudhunter

Post by mudhunter » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:28 pm

https://www.coloradochaps.com/

Good price and they custom make every pair to fit. I got a pair last year and they have been great, I like them better than my Filsons that the dog ate, and I liked them!

Scout0861

Post by Scout0861 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:00 am

I wear a pair of Cabelas Stone Wall Chaps, they are a waxed cloth chap, I love them, they are about 15 yrs old now, and i went to buy another pair ( mine are torn and tattered but still good) to have a back up and found out that they stopped making them. I have pair of LL Bean Chaps that are great lightweight and waterproof that I wear early season.

Also if you are looking for Wicks chaps, danshuntinggear.com no produces them under their label
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.