Launcher solenoid

A_LOTA_NOTA

Launcher solenoid

Post by A_LOTA_NOTA » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:24 am

Does anyone know what the pull force is for the dogtra launcher solenoid? I was looking at using http://www.grainger.com/product/GUARDIA ... ?$smthumb$ but not sure a 3oz pull is enough.

aulrich

Re: Launcher solenoid

Post by aulrich » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:04 pm

Are you fixing one or doing a DIY remote?

A_LOTA_NOTA

Post by A_LOTA_NOTA » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:36 pm

aulrich wrote:Are you fixing one or doing a DIY remote?
I have three I fitted with servos a few years back. The gears are weak in the servos so I am looking at changing to solenoids

skyehunter

Post by skyehunter » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:57 pm

This is what i used on the bottom launcher in the pic below with success. Maybe work for your project. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shi ... 27864.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

A_LOTA_NOTA

Post by A_LOTA_NOTA » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:31 pm

In the beginning I tried using solenoids like the one you are using. I found the travel of the door lock actuator arm to be too short to launch reliably, that is why I changed to servos. The servos work OK, they have a short lag time and if you hold the trigger button too long you can strip a servo. What I ended up doing was removing the stop from the inside of the servo and using twin from the servo and the launch lever, the twin is more forgiving and helps prevent striping of the servo. The only problem I have now is that if I do not set the servo arm in the correct position it has to spin farther before engaging the release trigger, adding to the lag time. In my need to tinker I thought I would swap a servo for a solenoid and see how it works. I can measure the pull on my launchers when I get home, I thought maybe somebody might also be able to share some info from the solenoid on the dogtra launcher.

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:36 pm

Yea I can’t say I have been too happy with the door actuators, but I had seen a pic posted of an alternate configuration. My first kick I had all the electronics in a box on one end f the trap. The down side I had to turn the corner with the motion, and that was not as reliable as I wanted. Last night I moved the actuator out of the box and mounted it on the same side as the lever, I also rewired it to pull instead of push, Initial testing looks good.