Wirehaired vizsla

Minneguy

Wirehaired vizsla

Post by Minneguy » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:09 pm

Hey guys! I ran into a rarity yesterday, a guy in my town was walking a darn good looking dog, so i walked up to him and it was a hungarian wirehaired viszla. I was trying to do some research on how they compare to DD or GWP but the interweb is not cooperating. Anybody have information? It was the biggest viszla ive ever seen, and seemed to be even bigger than most DD. Is that common? He said it was an import... Whats the deal? Has anybody got real wkrld experience with them? Im just curious and looking for more info.

aulrich

Re: Wirehaired vizsla

Post by aulrich » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:29 pm

All I know about them is there is one that uses the same off leash as I do, My son has met him but I only ever seen him from a distance once. I got the impression from my son that the dog was a euro import, but that is from a teenager so suspect.

Minneguy

Wirehaired vizsla

Post by Minneguy » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:40 pm

It seems like theyre really rare. Imo its a shame, he was very friendly and a really good looking dog. I just wonder how they compare to a DD

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:20 am

The breed is fairly common and popular here in Scotland , a good few of my friends own and work them. In Britain the breed seems to split into two "camps" ....the dogs that take after the vizsla side of the breed and those that take after the wirehair or D.D. I think most of them take after the vizsla in nature and in their work. Most of them tend to be close in hunters .....well within 100 yards and often less. Most of them do not run as fast as I think they could if they really wanted to. I see this regularly in the pure bred vizslas and the trait seems to have continued into the wirehaired vizsla.

The wirehaired vizslas are however considerably easier to control than the majority of other versatile breeds , that trait comes from the vizsla too I think . Almost all of the wirehaired vizslas I have seen have been very good retrievers and needed not too much training to make them good either. I.M.O. any hint of harsh treatment or of force by the trainer will knock him back quite a bit , this breed, like the vizsla, can be a bit of a "softy."

Personally, I like the breed very much and would simply adjust to the dog in front of me if it proved to be softer or "harder" than I expected. I think it is a very worthwhile breed unless you like to see dogs hunting fast and far out. Some of this breed will do that but not very many.

One of my friends uses his wirehair vizsla purely for deer stalking and he is delighted with her. She walks quietly beside him and points deer, she lies flat and crawls alongside him during difficult stalks and she will remain in the down /stay position for an hour or more if needed. She also tracks down any wounded deer but I don't think she gets much practice at that !

The breeds size and it's coat length and "wiryness" also varies greatly and that can happen with pups from the same litter. A gamekeeper friend of mine has a wirehair vizsla bitch. She is large in size and her coat is long and a bit fluffy in texture. She is stripped and not clipped but her coat remains soft and fluffy.
I.M.O. this is a breed still in it's infancy and it will need time and thoughtful breeding before it regularly shows the best of both sides of it's ancestry.

Bill T.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:12 am

They are 2 different Breeds over here from what I have seen. Haven't seen a Wirehair yet that runs nearly as big and fast as even the slowest V"s. I will check but I don't think there is even an AKC Senior hunter Wirehair. I helped a Pro work with one for months and it was struggling for JH but if you like slow close working dogs that make good couch potatoes ,thats the breed to get. Be prepared your to loosen your wallet, you can get two of the best bred Vizslas for one Wirehair.

I helped Import the first one over the pond that supposedly came from some of the best field stock.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:12 am

They are 2 different Breeds over here from what I have seen. Haven't seen a Wirehair yet that runs nearly as big and fast as even the slowest V"s. I helped a Pro work with one for months and it was struggling to get to the JH level. But if you like slow close working dogs that make good couch potatoes ,thats the breed to get. Be prepared your to loosen your wallet though, you can get two of the best bred Vizslas for one Wirehair.

I helped Import the first one over the pond that supposedly came from some of the best field stock.

seadog

Post by seadog » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:08 am

Have a couple of friends with them for the last 15 yrs or so and its pretty much what Trekmoor said ....... One has to watch which kennel they get the dogs from , being a breed with a limited gene pool there is some genetic problems .

jasonw99

Wirehaired vizsla

Post by jasonw99 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:46 pm

know a person in Michigan who raises them.