Reasonable amount to spend on pup

Minneguy

Post by Minneguy » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:31 am

gonehuntin' wrote:
These valued dogs of ours, they live a very dangerous and precarious existance. We have to enjoy them fully for the few short years God lets us be their keepers.
Man that's so true. I've never had a dog get sick hunting ,or seriously hurt, but I've seen armpits ripped up from cattails, noses and ears scraped up from brambles. my Aussie got giardia, and luckily that wasn't too bad. I do understand the risk that the dogs face when hunting, but I want to minimize the chances of anything that isn't an accident (I.e health issues). When I was a Kid, we had a lab that ended up getting put down because he stopped responding to his seizure medication. I know there are no guarantees but I want the odds in my favor

MNTonester

Re: Reasonable amount to spend on pup

Post by MNTonester » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:50 am

not trying to muddy the water here, but... My Springer Spaniel was an exceptional dog - I paid $175 for him back in 1998. My lab is an exceptional dog - I paid $200 for him in 2006. Those were both less than the asking price; but they were pups remaining from litters in which the breeder was willing to let them go because of the age of the pups. I had clipped ads for the litters and months later, inquired if any pups were still available and if they would be willing to sell at a lower price. The answer in both cases was "yes" and "yes". That being said, things don't always work out that way and I have put a large deposit on an upcoming litter for a particular breed I'm looking for. Some have mentioned $800 to $1000 (or more) for a pup of fine lineage. That's in the range of what I will be paying for my next pup and I'm fine with that. Best wishes on your pup.

Minneguy

Post by Minneguy » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:59 am

MNTonester wrote:not trying to muddy the water here, but... My Springer Spaniel was an exceptional dog - I paid $175 for him back in 1998. My lab is an exceptional dog - I paid $200 for him in 2006. Those were both less than the asking price; but they were pups remaining from litters in which the breeder was willing to let them go because of the age of the pups. I had clipped ads for the litters and months later, inquired if any pups were still available and if they would be willing to sell at a lower price. The answer in both cases was "yes" and "yes". That being said, things don't always work out that way and I have put a large deposit on an upcoming litter for a particular breed I'm looking for. Some have mentioned $800 to $1000 (or more) for a pup of fine lineage. That's in the range of what I will be paying for my next pup and I'm fine with that. Best wishes on your pup.
I wouldn't be oppose to an advanced age pup, actually I prefer that! I took my Aussie home at 10 weeks, and got to pay 1/2 price because nobody wanted a red bicolor Aussie for some reason. So I kind of get what you are saying. If the pup came from a good breeding and had clearances I would be more than willing to go that route