Sufficient or too much training time?

10Sam29

Sufficient or too much training time?

Post by 10Sam29 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:00 pm

At this point, I plant birds for training and give them at least a 15 minute "cook off" period to get some odor out. As I wait, I do my obedience work with my dog. When it appears he is doing well to my satisfaction, we then go to the bird field. This can take another 15 - 20 minutes to complete this part of training. So, I'm looking at approx. 30 minutes of training time with a quick water break in between the two. Any thoughts on my amount of time? He is doing well, but I'm curious about whether to push him a little longer.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Sufficient or too much training time?

Post by Sharon » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:13 pm

How old is the dog?

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:14 pm

The dog will tell you.

How many birds? How many times a week? Are you killing some of the birds? You can overwork them, but they will tell you as they get stale with a loss of style and animation. Remember two 15 minute sessions an hour a part is better than a 30 minute one for most dogs.

Few with a job and family will work one too much, except when they spend all day at it.

10Sam29

Post by 10Sam29 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:30 pm

The dog is coming up on 2 years old. I work with live pigeons.

10Sam29

Post by 10Sam29 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:32 pm

Sorry forgot, I usually train 4-5 days a week.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:32 pm

Neil wrote:The dog will tell you.

How many birds? How many times a week? Are you killing some of the birds? You can overwork them, but they will tell you as they get stale with a loss of style and animation. Remember two 15 minute sessions an hour a part is better than a 30 minute one for most dogs.

Few with a job and family will work one too much, except when they spend all day at it.
That's the best answer you'll probably get. If the dog starts looking lethargic and bored, decrease the training.

Fun dog

Post by Fun dog » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:51 pm

The last five weeks I've worked my dog 2 times a day, every single day, on yard work. 2 times a week on birds and 3 times a week on ducks. Sessions were not long and she never tired of it. My dog is just over 2. Keep it short, make it count and always end on a happy note. The result- a happy dog that was able to pull off a UT prize 1 and have fun doing it. The hardest part of training is getting her collar on so we can get to work! Your dog will tell you if you're over doing it.

10Sam29

Post by 10Sam29 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:33 am

Hey Fun Dog,
What type of yard work are you doing? I like the idea of mixing up the trainings.

Fun dog

Post by Fun dog » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:25 am

Just your basic stuff. Heel, Here, a few long retrieves with no marks, a few marks, all with good deliveries (at least that's the plan). 10 - 15 minutes. Just things I can do in the yard or our un- busy road. Anyone else have any good yard work drills? I'm open to ideas to keep things interesting. Now that the test is over I'm just doing yard work once a day and going on longer walks with heel.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:20 pm

I would like to say something about "yard work". When I mention doing yard work, most people assusme it is always in my back yard. My so called yard work is done in my yard, at a park, baseball diamond or even in and open field with no game, or even while taking a walk around the block. I like to do yard work in various locations and at every opportunity. It is just obedience training and laying a foundation before transitioning to the field. I don't know why, but I just felt the need to clarify that :?

Charlie

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:09 pm

All forms of training should be conducted in as many places as possible. "yard work" means nothing to me.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:15 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:"yard work" means nothing to me.
Interesting view.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:57 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:All forms of training should be conducted in as many places as possible. "yard work" means nothing to me.
Call it what you want, it is pretty much a figure of speech and I call it yard work.

Charlie

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:39 am

gonehuntin' wrote:
Interesting view.
Why? Because you quoted only a portion of my post? I was simply trying to say that dogs need to learn in several different environments so I don't do "yard work". Every where we go is our "yard" and we are always learning.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:53 am

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:
gonehuntin' wrote:
Interesting view.
Why? Because you quoted only a portion of my post? I was simply trying to say that dogs need to learn in several different environments so I don't do "yard work". Every where we go is our "yard" and we are always learning.
I think I misunderstood what you were saying.

Charlie

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:40 am

Are we defining yard work now? It means gets your butt out there and cut the grass and pull the weeds. :)

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:32 pm

Yes, I agree a dog can't be trained and finished in one place. I think we think of yard work differently. Nearly every basic that dog will be taught, will and should be, taught in the yard. That's where the pressure comes. That's where the basics come. That is where the confidence is built. I NEVER teach basic commands and concepts in different places becuase i NEVER want the dog associating pressure with the field. So obedience, force, staunchness, honoring, are all FIRST taught in the yard and only when the dog has a total grasp of these fundamentals is he taken to the field for advancement and finishing. I my own view, it heeps a happier, harder going dog.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:57 pm

Sharon wrote:Are we defining yard work now? It means gets your butt out there and cut the grass and pull the weeds. :)
Easier said then done when its over 100 degrees when the sun comes up. The dogs don't even want to do their yard work right now. (that's a first).

Charlie, I think I miss communicated on that previous post....I think we are on the same page and understand that training should occur in multiple places but I was trying to let any NEW faces know that "yard work" doesn't end at the YARD.. That's all.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:05 pm

Charlie, I think I miss communicated on that previous post....I think we are on the same page and understand that training should occur in multiple places but I was trying to let any NEW faces know that "yard work" doesn't end at the YARD.. That's all.
Ya, I agree. I think one reason I brought it up is that there is a popular and very effective training method that is used by many trainers,both ameteurs and pros, that do it all in the field. And while I am sure it is a very effective program, it just doesn't suit me personally.

Charlie

Fun dog

Post by Fun dog » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:04 pm

Yard work for me takes place anyplace but the field. I like to separate the two. For yard work I use the yard, the road, the empty lot, the creek, the cabin on the lake, the neighbors yard, even the living room if the weather is bad. I do some sort of yard work every day.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:29 am

Fun dog wrote:Yard work for me takes place anyplace but the field. I like to separate the two. For yard work I use the yard, the road, the empty lot, the creek, the cabin on the lake, the neighbors yard, even the living room if the weather is bad. I do some sort of yard work every day.
That's what I am talking about. :wink:

Charlie