Starter Gun

A_LOTA_NOTA

Starter Gun

Post by A_LOTA_NOTA » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:52 pm

Has anybody used a Traditions Starter gun? I would like some input on how they hold up and if the cylinder is indexed.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Re: Starter Gun

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:42 pm

I have had three. All were the 209 primer pistols. They are made by KIMAR.

They all worked fine for about 800 shots and then the striker plate breaks off. It is not repairable, per the company. Happened to all three at about the same usage level I assume it is metal fatigue.

It wasn't a bad deal when the pistol was fifty bucks. It was a bit less of a great deal at eighty bucks which was the price on third one I bought

I see now they are $112. Not such a good deal at that price.

If you don't use it a lot, might be a good deal for you.

RayG

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:49 pm

I had the same experience as Ray. I don't think they shot nearly 800 rounds but maybe. They are junk. I would not take one for free......Cj

A_LOTA_NOTA

Post by A_LOTA_NOTA » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:05 pm

Thanks. This is the kind if info I was looking for.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:55 am

If you can find an NEF or H&R blank pistol....buy it. It will last you a lifetime.

If GunX ever resumes manufacture, you should consider buying one of theirs. They are built for the long haul also. I bought a GunX 209 primer pistol, the wood handled model. I paid way more money than I wanted to at the time, but I am not sorry. It is another gun that is built for the long haul.

I have heard good things about the ALFA which is still available. I have not used or handled one myself. I seem to remember that their .22 model was a six shooter and the grips looked pretty large.

That's all I got.

RayG

RichK

Post by RichK » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:15 am

Alfa is an awesome pistol. Very well built.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:19 am

Ray is right. Scour the web for a used NEF or H&R. Most are selling for more than they did new, but they're worth it.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:15 pm

I have a friend here that has looked all over for an NEF but can't find one. She has mine for now and it will not fail her. You could make one of your own. Buy a small 22RF handgun and have a gunsmith either plug the barrel or get a short barrel blank to put on it. It'll also need a do-dad where the chamber should to divert the gas and wad out the side of the cylinder. Shouldn't be to hard to do.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:20 pm

Mine never worked from the day I got it.....POS.

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:17 pm

From an amateur one dog at a time perspective, a blank gun is a waste of cash, you use it a bit at gun intro, then you transition to shotgun and a bit again at steady to shot before you transition to shotgun if at all. A DT bumper launcher , without a bumper is a single shot blank gun and with a bumper you have a tool that is useful for the entire life of the dog. For me I happily traded convenience for multi tasking.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:49 pm

aulrich wrote:From an amateur one dog at a time perspective, a blank gun is a waste of cash, you use it a bit at gun intro, then you transition to shotgun and a bit again at steady to shot before you transition to shotgun if at all. A DT bumper launcher , without a bumper is a single shot blank gun and with a bumper you have a tool that is useful for the entire life of the dog. For me I happily traded convenience for multi tasking.
Hard to argue with the above. If you only have one puppy to start and it will be several years before you have another, ou probably can do without a starter's pistol

There are adapters that are made to fit in the chamber of break open shotgun. These allow you to use a 209 shotgun primer.

There are also popper loads or stage loads you can purchase in just about every gauge that have no shot. You can cut them open and dump out the powder for an even milder report. For that matter you can do that with regular shotshells( but PLEASE use care and personal protective gear).

RayG

A_LOTA_NOTA

Post by A_LOTA_NOTA » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:43 pm

Thanks for all of the input guys. I'll watch for one of the NEF pistols.

A_LOTA_NOTA

Post by A_LOTA_NOTA » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:44 pm

I think a good used launcher is harder to find then the pistols.
aulrich wrote:From an amateur one dog at a time perspective, a blank gun is a waste of cash, you use it a bit at gun intro, then you transition to shotgun and a bit again at steady to shot before you transition to shotgun if at all. A DT bumper launcher , without a bumper is a single shot blank gun and with a bumper you have a tool that is useful for the entire life of the dog. For me I happily traded convenience for multi tasking.

Mikezx18

Post by Mikezx18 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Good luck finding an NEF. So far the Alphas are a great pistol. I have two. One .22 for starting dogs with crimps and one .209 for field trials. They are well built and reliable. They feel like a real gun in your hand.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:01 am

Alpha's are the way to go IMO. They are firearm grade and easy to buy. If you ever did need warranty work, it goes to one of the best gunsmiths in the country.

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:10 am

I had the kimar, it broke also. I am ordering an Alfa. I had a cheap one fall off the horse a few weeks back.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:50 pm

Last time I checked, the Alphas had a Lifetime warranty. Does any other company offer that?