Heck of a time finding pigeons

bgcole

Heck of a time finding pigeons

Post by bgcole » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:17 am

I haven't been able to spot any birds roosting at night to catch.... also dont have a ton of time to be snooping around under bridges but...
Haven't been able to find any for sale on Craigs....

I guess im going to have to start a loft in order to have birds around to train, but at this point idk it it make sense to do it now rather than wait till spring... how do they fair with alot of snow and around 0 temps for a couple of months?

where do you other "suburbanites" get your birds? Im in Rochester NY.... need some leads or new ideas.

Thanks

RichK

Re: Heck of a time finding pigeons

Post by RichK » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:16 am

They are relatively hard to find in this area. I have homers, $10 a bird.
Pigeons will be fine all winter, last winter was very cold and I didn't lose any birds to the weather.

I would start a loft now, they will breed over the winter if you give them light.

bgcole

Post by bgcole » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:53 am

Rich, can you PM me your contact details so we can meet up?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:10 am

If you are coming any where near northern IL I have 40 or 50 available.

Ezzy

RichK

Post by RichK » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:02 pm

bgcole wrote:Rich, can you PM me your contact details so we can meet up?
Not sure if my PM sent or not.

Feel free to text me at 585.991.3195 or email me richknarr@gmail.com

I have birds ready to go now but can hang onto them for you if you need to get your loft built first.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:10 pm

I used to haul film out of Kodak in Rochester. Had a guy with me on time from there. we went to see a friend of his on a farm near there and they had a ton of birds in the barn. Nick name for feral's is "barn pigeons", there's a reason for that. If you can buy some even at $10 each, get about six, three pair. That is what I started with with homer's three years ago. Since then I've given a good number to friends starting loft's and sold some to people I didn't know. Right now I'm pushing 50 birds in that loft counting young one's running around. They are easy keeper's and you could house them in a refrigerator packing box. $60 would be one of the best investment's you'll ever make!

10Sam29

Post by 10Sam29 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:06 pm

If you have an opportunity, contact a local pest control company see if they sub-contract. I found a seller on CL out here who charges me $2 a bird. Come to find out, he's a sub-contractor who does nothing but pigeon trap for a pest company. The birds I buy aren't really good homers, but they do the job for shooting and retrieving work. Good luck.