A GOOD IDEA

Neil
GDF Junkie

A GOOD IDEA

Post by Neil » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:25 pm

http://blogs.twincities.com/outdoors/20 ... ird-hunts/

I like it.

A special novice hunt (not just youths, but adults also). I would have a special pre-season Weekend to entice the mentors to participate.

Neil

Bluesky2012

A GOOD IDEA

Post by Bluesky2012 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:12 pm

That's a fantastic thing. I've taken rookies hunting, and no matter the age, much can be learned and enjoyed. This is great.

NC Quailhunter

Re: A GOOD IDEA

Post by NC Quailhunter » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:20 pm

I think that is a great idea. I think introducing new people of all ages is going to not only grow our sport but help defeat stereotypes and bring in more people to help recruit more. Let us know how it goes.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:27 am

that is really cool. Wouldn't it be cool if bird hunters were instrumental in getting kids heads out of computer games and into the field. You get the the right mentor . A person who can show the kids how much fun can be had in the field pursuing gamebirds. Throw a dog in the mix and I think you could set the hook . This is a great idea !

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:15 am

We're doing the same in Missouri using dove hunting as a tool to get more novice hunters out there. We had 6 fields this year (Quail Forever/Pheasants Forever did 4, NWTF did 2) on private land - so you can have multiple hunts and not shut down an entire public land field just for our hunts. We worked closely with the Missouri Dept of Conservation through all of it so far - and first day hunts were awesome! Had people from 11 years old up to 48 that were new hunters. Paired each with a mentor from the local PF/QF chapter (or other NGO volunteer or MDC staff) and the folks absolutely had a blast. Lots more youth than adults, but we plan on more adults next year as the word gets out.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:12 am

Adding adults is great, but still think it should be on a special, early "only" mentored hunt like some states do for youth hunts. Couldn't do it for dove, woodcock, ducks, geese, because of the feds, but sure could for the other upland game.

I just think for the chance at an early exclusive hunt some would look hard for new hunters.