Pigeons Stretch Their Wings

GunDogAdventures

Pigeons Stretch Their Wings

Post by GunDogAdventures » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:17 am

Well, I've kept my feral pigeons in the coop for 6 weeks now and got some squawkers (or is it squeekers?) 2 weeks ago. Yesterday evening I was working in the barn, so I fastened up a landing grate right outside the front door and left the door open for about 2 hours. The pigeons got close but none ventured out. So, this morning I opened up the door again and went about my business. They've ventured out and onto the roof just kind of checking out the scenery. We'll see how many I have when we get back from our day of running around! Hope they don't all don't fly the coop!

10Sam29

Re: Pigeons Stretch Their Wings

Post by 10Sam29 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:00 am

Feral pigeons are tough to keep. The squeakers might acclimate better for you. Check your local Craigslist for some true homers, they'll adjust quicker for you. Good luck. :)

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:23 pm

easiest way to settle ferals is to get them on a nest. Lacking that, they are hard to settle but the squeekers will be a done deal. Don't worry about ferals that don't come back in, they are free! Just leave that door open for awhile. The squeekers will go out look around and back in. First few flights will probably be to the roof, no problem. If you get homer's, they will probably cost you. if they aren't squeekers, don't plan on getting them settled. Those you lose will cost you!

GunDogAdventures

Post by GunDogAdventures » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:08 pm

True to form....or is that forum.....the ferals were free and never returned even after being held captive 5-1/2 weeks. The squeekers flew to the barn roof, did a couple circling flights, saw one on the neighbors house, and all were back in the coop by mid-morning. Thanks for the tips!!
Last edited by GunDogAdventures on Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GunDogAdventures

Post by GunDogAdventures » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:28 pm

Of course, I just went out to change out water and there sit two ferals on top of the coop.When I started filling the water, one flew down and almost came right up to me he was so thirsty. Nothing like home "cookin' " I guess!!