Pup has worms

Sundby

Pup has worms

Post by Sundby » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:37 pm

I noticed my gsp pup 13 weeks old had a glob of worms come out today, it wasn't a good sight to see, he had his deworming at 7, 9 and 11 weeks by the vet he did a fecal exam at 11 weeks and no worms, he went #2 twice in the morning and they looked fine, then about 2 o'clock they came out looks like roundworms , I called the vet and he told me to go to tsc and get some puppy dewormer with pyrantel, so i bought some sentry wormxplus broad spectrum, the puppy seems fine, still playing and eating, he hasn't gone #2 yet since I gave him the chewables, I have him with me everyday and watch all his stools and keep an eye on what he puts in his mouth but not sure what else I could do... I have too bring him to the vet in a week for his rabie shots and whatever else he does, but what else can I do for the puppy or further prevent this? Thanks for your help.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Pup has worms

Post by Sharon » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:20 pm

It happens . If you walk him on the sidewalk don't let him sniff other dogs' feces - eggs are easily sniffed up.

Sundby

Post by Sundby » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:54 pm

Okay thanks for your help, it does seem like no matter where we go, there's feces everywhere. Doesn't the dewormer he got from the vet suppose to prevent worms or kill the eggs? And in the future when dogs get older do they still get worms this easy? And what's recommended brand and schedule to give dogs when there older for preventative measures?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:04 am

Do you give your dog heartworm medicine? If so see if they have a plus version which has the extra ingredients to kill worms

I personally do 1/10thcc of Ivermectin 1% solution per 10lbs of body weight and that will also take care of round worms Seen that action work when I gave pups the 2 week and 4 week dose of pyrantyl that didn't work as at 6 weeks I gave the ivermectin and about 12 hours later pups were passing round worms

Safeguard will also work

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:54 am

kninebirddog wrote:Do you give your dog heartworm medicine? If so see if they have a plus version which has the extra ingredients to kill worms

I personally do 1/10thcc of Ivermectin 1% solution per 10lbs of body weight and that will also take care of round worms Seen that action work when I gave pups the 2 week and 4 week dose of pyrantyl that didn't work as at 6 weeks I gave the ivermectin and about 12 hours later pups were passing round worms

Safeguard will also work
Are you doing this bi-weekly? It would be way more cost effective instead of the many other types of wormers. I've used safeguard at 2,4, and 6 week's and still had them pass worms at 8 weeks when switched to the cheap doc Roy's wallyworld piperzine.

GSP7

Post by GSP7 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:03 pm

And in the future when dogs get older do they still get worms this easy?
No, shouldnt.

After a year old you can do the heart worm pills that have the intestinal dewormer anti parasite meds.

Im useing Iverheart max

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:52 am

talk to your vet about getting the dog on some type of monthly heartworm prevention. That will take care of intestinal worms as well.

werkin2liv

Post by werkin2liv » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:48 pm

I worm mine once per quarter with Panacur (fenbendazole). Hooks and whips are a problem here in AR especially if the dogs get in mucky water or we have a wet spring or fall. The eggs live in the soil. I use Ivermectin as HWP so don't have problems with rounds. Rounds are pretty normal with pups and unless pup isn't holding weight, I would follow the directions on the package and not worry too much.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:23 pm

dog dr wrote:talk to your vet about getting the dog on some type of monthly heartworm prevention. That will take care of intestinal worms as well.
x2

I use Heartguard - if you only have 2 or 3 dogs. After that it would be too expensive unless you have $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$