Shells vs Full body??

Double Shot Banks

Shells vs Full body??

Post by Double Shot Banks » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:27 pm

Hello,
I'm thinking of buying some field duck decoys. I'm pretty set on GHG because of the price but also i love how they look and have only heard good things about them. They have field shells for 150 a dozen and full body for 190 a dozen. for ducks (and geese with a mixed spread) will it spook them or look odd? Is there any reason i should spend more and get the full bodies?
Thanks for your input
Isaac and Banks

deke

Re: Shells vs Full body??

Post by deke » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:35 pm

I have never noticed a huge difference in how they produce. I would pocket the $40 and go with the shells

MSU Aggie

Post by MSU Aggie » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:07 pm

I like shells as I can carry so many more with me. Only down side is in strong winds they fly away.

USMC

Post by USMC » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:15 am

Okay here we go! Season is upon us.. :D

Full bodies will outperform shells, especially when you are hunting heavily pressured birds or late season birds. Suggest buying a mix and keep the full bodies closest to you as those are ones they will be eyeballing the most. Assuming you are doing the calling in a field.

Good luck with your decision and seasoned,

Frank,

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:50 am

USMC wrote:Okay here we go! Season is upon us.. :D

Full bodies will outperform shells, especially when you are hunting heavily pressured birds or late season birds. Suggest buying a mix and keep the full bodies closest to you as those are ones they will be eyeballing the most. Assuming you are doing the calling in a field.

Good luck with your decision and seasoned,

Frank,
My experience as well. If you hunt floaters over water you can owe them as resting full bodies as well.

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:03 pm

We run a mix as well, space is a big issue I don’t have a stock trailer to haul the decoys around. But we spread our full bodies around theory being since they are far more visible from a distance we think it makes the flock look bigger. Mind you I suspect I will be going through a re-education, my oldest is taking his first fall after high school to work for a goose hunting outfitter. I am already getting text like “Dad you got to get a mojo you don’t even need to call and the ducks pour in”

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:23 pm

A few years ago, Sportsman's Guide, the mail order catalogue had some collapsable vinyl full bodies for about $80.00 or less a dozen. I bought a dozen, loved them, and bought two dozen more. They are light, stuff in a bag and you don't have to worry about nicking them up. I THINK they were made in Minneapolis, but not sure. If you can find them, they're the ticket. We also keep a couple of the silo sox geese flapping in the decoys. That gives you a nice spread.

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:48 am

If your hunting the X shells will be all you need. Period. You can carry a bunch of them too. If running traffic you may want something more realistic such as full bodies, but, you can't carry as many and they are a PIA to deal with but worth it on traffic. In any instance being well hid and no movement is 10 times more imortant than decoys.

Mikezx18

Post by Mikezx18 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:03 pm

We run full bodies around our kill zone and the front row and then fill in with shells. We fill in behind us with silhouettes. There is no substitute for full bodies especially late season when the birds are being shot at on a regular basis

bdu

Post by bdu » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:18 am

ive used bigfoots for a while but not impressed with the new ones the feet dont seem to stay on, ive started replacing them with the avian x full bodys they are pricey but worth it from people i know that use them.

Mikezx18

Post by Mikezx18 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:28 pm

The feet don't seem to stay on the B2's but they always stay on the originals

Springer

Post by Springer » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:38 pm

Full bodies. I don't think the GHG shells stack like honkers because the sides curl down some. I have 3dz G&H shells and they do not look nearly as good as the full bodies I have. I don't have an issue with the feet staying on my B2's.