Anyone hunt a mixed breed?

GSP4ME

Post by GSP4ME » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:37 am

Despite my username, my current pup in training is a Pointer/GSP mix. He was part of an "oops" breeding but we couldn't be happier with him to this point. Just wondering how many others have mixes/mutts/drops whatever you call them(ones you're willing to admit anyway :wink: ). My only regret with Ranger is that I cant run him in trials.
Rangerpoint.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Southwind

Re: Anyone hunt a mixed breed?

Post by Southwind » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:03 am

I have had 1 mix. Chubbs was half Elhew Pointer/ half GSP. I paid $35 for pick of the litter for him when I was in college. I got him to keep my setter company in the kennel. I just lost him last year at the age of 12. He lived longer and hunted just as good as any other dog I have every owned. My favorite dog I have ever owned and the only one to ever live inside the house.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:24 am

Sure makes for some awful fine looking Shorthairs!!

Txboykin

Post by Txboykin » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:31 am

Beautiful dog

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:08 pm

GSP - you can run him in AKC hunt tests if you get him an ILP or PAL designation. I've registered several dogs from the shelter through that program and gone on to hunt test two of them. If you enjoy the hunt tests then you can likely run the dog. You'll just claim it as a GSP and register it that way.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:15 pm

JRT mix for rats /voles and groundhog. :)

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:38 pm

I've heard it said that those blood lines (GSP X EP) are consistent with the current make-up of the GSP's floating around now. So your dog is not that much different than everyone else's. Just repeating what I heard :twisted: :P

Thoughs are some handsome dogs...for shorthairs...

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:49 pm

I know of a number of people happily hunting their Pudelpointers .......... I mean labra-doodles

They don’t seem to care there designer dog is a mutt, they hunt it and have fun.

Just to be clear I mean the labra-doodles not the Pudelpointers I was just making fun

CCBIRDDOGMAN

Post by CCBIRDDOGMAN » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:08 am

I have a GSP / Brittany mix that is pushing 14 years old right now. has never been a big, hard charging bird finder by any stretch of the imagination but has always been the best dead bird finder we have had. He is a great inside dog (wifes dog) and well mannered. He stayed about 65 pounds in his younger days but hanging out inside all the time laying in front of the ac vent, he is probably closer to 75 right now. Gonna miss him when he goes.

GSP4ME

Post by GSP4ME » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:45 am

Southwind, Chubbs was a good looking boy. I'm sure that was the best $35 you ever spent.

I initially got Ranger just to be a pet for the wife and be companion for my 7 year old American bulldog and occasional blood trailer and antler shed finder. At about 12 weeks he was pointing everything with wings and I'd find him locked up in the kitchen pointing house flies. His drive is out of this world and he loves his birds, so I figured it was only fair to him to train him and allow him to do what he wants to do most.

His sire (GSP)is a guide dog and just last year started running in and winning NSTRA events. Mom is a wild bird finding machine who also works as a guide dog on a central Ok preserve.
all.jpg

Munster

Post by Munster » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:51 am

Darn..........I was hoping to see true mutts. Hard for me to call to mixed sporting breeds a mutt. :D
I want to se ewho is hunting with their german shepherd/yorkie poo mix.