Number of launchers

10Sam29

Number of launchers

Post by 10Sam29 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:19 am

What a sufficient number of launchers to use during training? Just trying to get some input on how many other people use. I will eventually have 4 to use, as soon they're changed over from manual to remotes. I will be using them for whoa and pointing work.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: Number of launchers

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:19 am

Three is pretty standard. That way you can run singles, a single and double, or a covey flush.

QuillGordon

Post by QuillGordon » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:34 am

I'm ashamed to admit I have three pigeon launchers...
What I do take pride in is they are currently covered in a layer of dust & the fact that I have no idea if they still work or not... :wink:

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:25 am

I run 2 but at times a third would have been nice and at times I ran just one, it sort of depends which steadying method you use. I had used perfect finish and even when you are using the launcher your still in front of the dog hand tossing birds enforcing there can be more than one bird. Having more would have been nice for steady to shot but the costs start adding up quick.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:43 am

I had 2 launchers for quite few years and did fine. I like at least 2 because the odds of a battery going bad on both units is pretty small.

I recently added a third launcher and will occasionally use all three, but more often than not, still use only two. I will often use a remote launcher in conjunction with a kick cage. This way if the dog takes that little extra step...I can instantly launch and then go back, reposition the dog and then resume flushing, this time doing the bird in the kick cage. With three launchers, I could use two in close proximity instead of a kick cage.

RayG

RichK

Post by RichK » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:22 am

Right now I have one, want to add another two though.

rinker

Post by rinker » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:43 am

I have three, and I frequently push the wrong button and launch the wrong bird. If I had any more than three I would be so confused I would never launch the correct bird.

Munster

Post by Munster » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:53 am

rinker wrote:I have three, and I frequently push the wrong button and launch the wrong bird. If I had any more than three I would be so confused I would never launch the correct bird.

Upside is, your keeping the dogs guessing too! :lol: :lol: