The intense point......

10Sam29

The intense point......

Post by 10Sam29 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:09 pm

I see posts of various dogs on point. What I notice on the majority is the intensity in the eyes and the staunchness of the point. Is this intensity in the gene of the posted dog, something that can be taught, or is it a combo of both? My dog will go on an intense point while training, and sometimes he goes into this posture, but will turn his head and look at me as I approach as if to say, "hey, get over here dummy". He doesn't break after giving me the eye, but I'd like to know if others have anything similar with their dog.

I don't remember if he gave me this look last season, so I'll be looking for it this year.

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: The intense point......

Post by shags » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:08 am

You can't put intensity into the dog, but there are ways to bring out what's there. There are also ways to take it out, and it can be done in a heartbeat.

If a dog is normally intense but has an occasional looser point, IME it's because he doesn't have the bird full bore. For my trial dogs, when that occurs, I urge them to establish better before I go for the flush. They learn pretty quick how much to push.

CCBIRDDOGMAN

Post by CCBIRDDOGMAN » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:57 am

I have a female Brittany that if she goes on point, but then turns to look at me as I walk up, I can promise you, it ain't a bird, most of the time it's hogs. She doesn't even attempt to chase them, but will point them and watch them run off after I flush em. If she is on birds, she will never turn and look at me.

P&PGunsmith

Post by P&PGunsmith » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:16 pm

Sometimes it is the picture. I have pictures of dogs with there eyes bugging out but it is not the greatest angle. Same point different angle and the picture looks great but you really don't notice the eyes. Same thing with showing the intensity of the body, sometimes it comes out in the picture and sometimes it doesn't. definitely can be in the gene pool too, i know of one breeder who's dogs are very intense and the end of there tails will bulge with excitement. i would think that is in the genes because it has not happened with all of my shorthairs.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:19 pm

The dog in my avatar says it all for me . never a doubt about whether there is a bird there or not.

10Sam29

Post by 10Sam29 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:03 pm

I don't doubt that he's on a bird, I can read him pretty good. Now I'm starting to think it might be the distance when he enters odor. The further away the more looser he is, the closer the more intense. I'll have to confirm my next training session.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:14 am

I agree that a loose sort of point can be caused by uncertainty in the dog. If I see that sort of point I often send the dog further in ....if it hasn't done so itself. Sometimes I see a loose point that only lasts a short time and then the dog moves sideways a few feet on the wind and then points "properly." I think that is caused by the dog having stopped and pointed on the outside edge of the bird's scent cone, hence the dogs sideways movement towards the centre of the scent cone rather than moving towards the bird.

I am very suspicious of a dog that turns it's head to look at me as I approach. If I see that then I start to think it will be an unproductive point or, and more worryingly, that the dog has been corrected for moving in at some point in the past and it fears to do so again in case it is corrected.

Bill T.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:44 am

shags wrote:You can't put intensity into the dog, but there are ways to bring out what's there. There are also ways to take it out, and it can be done in a heartbeat.

If a dog is normally intense but has an occasional looser point, IME it's because he doesn't have the bird full bore. For my trial dogs, when that occurs, I urge them to establish better before I go for the flush. They learn pretty quick how much to push.
Egg zackly! I have talked about relocating the dog into the bird a number of times. I use it for teaching the dog to better locate the bird and that it can only push a bird so far and it lose's. End result is more intensity. Another thing I've wrote about is watching the dog as you flush. Don't go in kicking around cover testing your dog, it's past the test, your in front and it's still on point. You get close to the bird pop it. Also if your going in and your watching the dog and notice it's eye's shift to you, pop the bird. Everything needs to happen as though your working a wild bird. They don't always wait for you to get on top of them, they flush sooner than that. Now you play those testing games and it will sooner or later take intensity out of your dog. And of course, your dog will become bored with training birds.