When to neuter my small munsterlander

jegan

Post by jegan » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:46 pm

Hi everyone, I have a question in regards to neutering. I have a 16 week old male small munsterlander. He is quite energetic right now and I am fine with that. Last time I was at the vet, he suggested that I get him neutered early and suggested that we get it done at the beginning of October. He said that it will calm him down a bit and help him to focus more. He will be 5 months old by that point. I have done alot of research on this topic and most of what I am reading is that neutering early will inhibit mass growth because of the removal of the testosterone. However, I have also read that neutering early will enable the pup to heal better and faster and reduce the risk of potential health complications due to being intact. Can you give me your thoughts on this? I am open to all suggestions and advice. What has been your experience with neutering your hunting dogs? Thanks in advance!

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Re: When to neuter my small munsterlander

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:56 pm

Look it up in the archives plenty of info & opinions there no need to start up the same old disagreements.

jegan

Post by jegan » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:38 pm

ok, great, thanks alot

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:43 pm

I think you will find little disagreement any more since it has been well documented the problems early neutering causes. If you feel you must neuter wait till physical maturity which means 2 or over. I would not neuter unless you are having a problem you can't handle any other way. The only real good reason to neuter is to prevent the dog from siring puppies. Most of us with gun dogs take care of our dogs and the are not allowed to run loose and that eliminate the breeding problem with out neutering. The advantage of neutering as far as health issues go is it eliminates testicular cancer but it also presents a greater chance of other cancers. I base my actions on what is the best for the dog and I think we can prove hands down the intact dog has the greatest chance of a long health life.

Ezzy

Luminary Setters

Post by Luminary Setters » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:57 pm

I don't think Ezzy could of said it any better.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:24 pm

I didn't mean to be short or rude just that this has been discussed & argued over & over & there is all the info you need to make your own decision in the archives. :D

Oh & I agree with ezzy but others will not.

jegan

Post by jegan » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:30 pm

I did look into past posts and have read quite a bit about it. It seems as though it is highly beneficial to keep him intact at least until he fully matures. It will be training that will curb some of the behaviours that most people believe neutering will fix. Also, it seems like the pros of keeping him intact outweigh the (potential) pros of neutering him. I appreciate all of the help.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:04 pm

I sure don't want to argue, and totally agree with Ezzy.

But thought I would share my personal experiences.

I have owned over a 100 male dogs, most from pups to death, not one has died from anything preventable by neutering and not one has been.

I have had more females, and have had 4 or 5 that did die with cancers that might not have if they had been spayed. Therefore, I do spay all non-breeding females before their first season, at about 6 - 7 months.

I do not believe either has any positive on behavior.

Good luck with your decision.

USMC

Post by USMC » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:55 pm

ezzy333 wrote:I think you will find little disagreement any more since it has been well documented the problems early neutering causes. If you feel you must neuter wait till physical maturity which means 2 or over. I would not neuter unless you are having a problem you can't handle any other way. The only real good reason to neuter is to prevent the dog from siring puppies. Most of us with gun dogs take care of our dogs and the are not allowed to run loose and that eliminate the breeding problem with out neutering. The advantage of neutering as far as health issues go is it eliminates testicular cancer but it also presents a greater chance of other cancers. I base my actions on what is the best for the dog and I think we can prove hands down the intact dog has the greatest chance of a long health life.

Ezzy

Listen to this advice!

jegan

Post by jegan » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:05 pm

I agree, I think Ezzy did a good job at summarizing the topic and the research that has been done on it. Thanks!