Backing dog design/ideas needed.....

10Sam29

Backing dog design/ideas needed.....

Post by 10Sam29 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:34 am

I would like to make a backing dog figure out of plywood so I can introduce my pup to backing. Does anyone have dimensions or a pattern available?

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: Backing dog design/ideas needed.....

Post by DonF » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:45 pm

Out in the barn I think I still have a backing silhouette I made years ago. if your close enough and I can find it, you can have it. I used it a few times and didn't care for it. Problem was it had to be set up out of sight of the dog. Then you bring the dog into sight of it and stop the dog. So here you are with your dog on it's first back, the silhouette is thirty yds or more away and to move the dog on and give it a reason to back, you really should produce a bird in front of the pointing dog. So, use a trap and pop the bird but the d@mn silhouette is still standing there! There's someone, Dogtra maybe, that makes one you can control up and down by remote, pretty expensive though for a guy just doing a couple dogs. Use another finished dog a bird in a trap and when your dog first spots the pointing dog, pop the bird out. Theory is the backing dog is supposed to think it's movement flushed the bird and the pointing dog told it the bird was there. Now I don't know if they think that way or not but, it does work!

Mikezx18

Post by Mikezx18 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:07 pm

You may want to consider the plastic corrugated cardboard. It can be bought at most lowes or Home Depots. Much lighter and easier to work with. Then just use some small drill rod like 1/16" to steak it in the ground. The drill rod fits through the corrugation. I paint them differently on each side to represent different breeds

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:16 pm

I am working on a diy remote, that is the same components as a DIY launcher, I too can use a PDF that I could use as a cutout since my art skills are questionable.

Vision

Post by Vision » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:47 pm

Have a graphic design print shop print one on the corrugated plastic. I had one made double sided cost me $76.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:16 pm

10Sam29 wrote:I would like to make a backing dog figure out of plywood so I can introduce my pup to backing. Does anyone have dimensions or a pattern available?

Find an adult bird dog, lay it down on a sheet of plywood or whatever you choose and trace around the outside of the dog. Then cut it out with a skilsaw or whatever.

I Put a 30d nail on each leg section, then glued and clamped it in place. You could do the same thing, probably better with drill rod. I rigged a brace out of a small piece of @X$ and some 3/8" dowels that fit under the chest portion of the silhouette so it would not blow over.

I did that years ago and still have the silhouette around here somewhere.

RayG

QuillGordon

Post by QuillGordon » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:22 pm

ooops

P&PGunsmith

Post by P&PGunsmith » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:32 pm

RayGubernat wrote:
10Sam29 wrote:I would like to make a backing dog figure out of plywood so I can introduce my pup to backing. Does anyone have dimensions or a pattern available?

Find an adult bird dog, lay it down on a sheet of plywood or whatever you choose and trace around the outside of the dog. Then cut it out with a skilsaw or whatever.

I Put a 30d nail on each leg section, then glued and clamped it in place. You could do the same thing, probably better with drill rod. I rigged a brace out of a small piece of @X$ and some 3/8" dowels that fit under the chest portion of the silhouette so it would not blow over.

I did that years ago and still have the silhouette around here somewhere.

RayG
That is what I did and came out with this. not pretty but it worked. named him Jim and gave him a new paint job as well.