Thinking of getting a new beeper collar

Fithunter

Thinking of getting a new beeper collar

Post by Fithunter » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:33 pm

I have an older tri tronics collar and beeper I like but am toying with getting a new one. I really like the idea of turning the beep locater on and off remotely. I grouse hunt so I can't see my dog at times but when I can I'd like to turn the beeper off.

I also like the hawk scream when on point. I'm looking at Garmin upland, TT 550 style w beeper or dogtra 2500. Any recommendations on which is best.

Looks like Garmin Upland is least expensive. I don't like to be frivolous but if the others are worth the extra cost I could talk myself into buying.

Just looking for opinions on what people like/dislike and ideas. Realize everyone has different preferences and interested for suggestions.

slower

Re: Thinking of getting a new beeper collar

Post by slower » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:49 am

I have 2 gsp's and use the dogra 2500 on one of them. Then I use the sportdog upland on the other. Out of the two I really like the dogtra. It does everything a good beeper/ecollar should. My only complaint and its a big one is the fact that it is not very loud. I used it on my smaller dog because its a compact system but after the first day with it I really hated it. She is a big runner and after a few minutes of her being released I had no clue where she was. I ended up buying the sportdog for her and have had no issues after that. Now my other dog is a close hunting dog that ranges maybe 75 yards and closer. I use the dogtra on him now and it is a match made in heaven. I turn the beeper off most of the time cause I can usually see or hear him. I run it on point only mode. So in my opinion if you have a fairly close range dog then the dogtra would have my vote.

I am curious to hear some opinions on the garmin. That came out after I bought my two but looks to be very nice.

Fithunter

Post by Fithunter » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:08 pm

slower- thanks for the reply. My dog ranges further than 75 yards even in grouse wood. Eventually she tires out, then she hunts a little closer. I checked out the Sportdog Upland and am interested. Looks like it will do all the things I'm looking for. I was reading some buyer reviews (I think on cabelas) and remember reading some bad stuff about sport dog e collars. Glad to hear you like yours. I will throw that one in the mix as well to research.

Prices for via cabelas are:

Dogtra 2500: $350

Garmin Upland Delta: $300

Sportdog Upland 1875: $379

Tri Tronic Upland G3 EXP (with beeper): $439

Obviously Garmin is the least expensive- anyone have any experience with that? Or strong opinions on which collar I should consider?

slower

Post by slower » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:46 pm

also you cannot turn the sportdog beeper off from the transmitter. If it had that function it would be perfect for me.

Vman

Post by Vman » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:27 am

Slower, I agree the Dogtra could be louder. With that said, just be sure the volume is at the highest setting. You can turn it up or turn it down, one of the nice features of this collar and you can do it from the transmitter. Not aware of any other that can do that. But certainly wish it was louder. This why the old 2000 T&Bs are selling for what they cost new.

slower

Post by slower » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:47 pm

if only they would make a combination of the 2500 and 2000. Would be a perfect collar...

fithunter - where do you hunt in SW OH?

QuillGordon

Post by QuillGordon » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:02 pm

I use the Dogtra 2500 T&B & I'm just about deaf in one ear & can hear the beeper just fine. I worry more about my hounds hearing when it's on the high volume. Of course my hound is about a three hundred yard max runner so maybe that's the difference. I've only owned the Dogtra as far as beepers go but have been very pleased with it

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:00 pm

Very happy with my Dogtra 2500 B/T also. Like all collars with beepers, how far the sound travels depends on the terrain - how many hills, ponds,valleys, bush etc.

Had a recent incident where I couldn't locate one of my my old dogs. Some guy found a dog seemingly lost ( to him:) ) a half + mile away. He headed back to the main parking lot , dog on leash, to look for an owner. By the time he found me , he was ready to choke me as he had had to listen to that beeper for a half hour. :)
Dog was mad as she knew exactly where she was and missed out on a good run.

chrisss

Post by chrisss » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:35 pm

I own a dogtra 2500 and so far I like it. I prefer to position the beeper near the top of the ear. This allows the beep to travel farther

nevermind

Post by nevermind » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:08 pm

I also have a Dogtra 2500, before the 2500 I had the model that had a beeper separate from the receiver. I like the 2500 it has some nice features, but the range seems shorter than the previous collar. I have to wear the 2500 high on my shoulder to get good range from it....not a big deal for me, but might be for the hip carriers.