AKC Response to an email pertaining to E-Collar Use

shets114

Post by shets114 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:54 pm

I really expected more. There stance seems pretty clear to me. My reply is also shown below.

Dear Gary Sheets,

On Saturday morning, AKC agreed to appear on Fox & Friends to discuss our thoughts on the use of e-collars for pet training, a buzzed about subject triggered from the release of a recent study.

The AKC has never called for a ban on e-collars. The AKC supports choice in training methods, as well as trusting the experts. Our thousands of field trial, performance and companion participants are the experts, those with the training experience and knowledge to obtain AKC titles on their dogs. It is our opinion that when placed in the informed hands of professionals, e-collars are an appropriate and effective tool for training dogs that are not only well behaved in the home but also competitive in the field. In fact, listed under the heading “Training Collars,” our position in support of e-collars as it pertains to AKC events, dog clubs and professional trainers has not wavered since it was adopted by the Board of Directors in 2001.

When we accept national media opportunities, we see them as a chance to talk to the nearly 57 million dog-owning households across the country who may not know about AKC’s resources and offerings. For better or worse, the vast majority of those owners will face struggles at the most basic level of training, not the complexities of handling performance-level dogs in the field or advanced companion work. When we appeared on Fox & Friends, it was our intention to speak to those novice owners who are seeking the best methods to create well-trained pets. Those methods do not include misuse or overuse of e-collars at the hands of amateur owners, an opinion with which I’m sure any dog expert can agree. AKC maintains its encouragement of positive reinforcement techniques for those beginner owners.

We continue to support the training techniques used by our experienced, responsible, and dedicated performance and companion competitors, and we apologize for not making that distinction clear during Saturday’s segment.

Sincerely,
James Crowley, Executive Secretary
American Kennel Club

Dear Gary Sheets,

On Saturday morning, AKC agreed to appear on Fox & Friends to discuss our thoughts on the use of e-collars for pet training, a buzzed about subject triggered from the release of a recent study. The topic of the interview was "Is it right to use shock collars for dog training" AKC clearly stood to the left on this opinion and stated so as listed below on numerous occasions during the interview. If this wasn't the opinion of the AKC than Ms Dinardo should've been there to discuss the use of E-Collars and situations that best suite the use.

The AKC has never called for a ban on e-collars. The AKC supports choice in training methods, The AKC doesn't need to call for a ban. The PETA, HSUS customers will do it for you.

According to Ms Dinardo at 1:43 in the video, she says that the "AKC wants what is best for dogs" then goes on about Happy Healthy Dogs and there are better training methods (Not mentioning Pet or Performance Dogs)

AKC wants responsible owners and there are better training methods??? So if I use a Shock Collar I am an irresponsible dog owner neglecting to use alternative methods????

Also stating that Shock Collars cause Stress, Distress and Pain. (If I were the novice trainer as you say you were addressing at this point I would be thinking that Shock Collars are evil instruments and cause my dog pain)

as well as trusting the experts. Our thousands of field trial, performance and companion participants are the experts, those with the training experience and knowledge to obtain AKC titles on their dogs. It is our opinion that when placed in the informed hands of professionals, e-collars are an appropriate and effective tool for training dogs that are not only well behaved in the home but also competitive in the field. In fact, listed under the heading “Training Collars,” our position in support of e-collars as it pertains to AKC events, dog clubs and professional trainers has not wavered since it was adopted by the Board of Directors in 2001.

I'm sorry but I didn't hear anything of the sort during the interview or a recommendation to go to the AKC website and read on correct use or how to find a trainer to properly use the training aids.

When we accept national media opportunities, we see them as a chance to talk to the nearly 57 million dog-owning households (Households that also include the vary people who attempt to take positions on discontinuing the use of such training aids. PETA and HSUS. When AKC's Ms Dinardo who was clearly in opposition of the use of collars, to the point at 3:14 of rudely interrupting the other guest to insure her point was taken. She as a Vice President with AKC to hold such distain with such devices is concerning to owners such as myself as to the future direction of AKC with leaders of the mind set of Ms. Dinardo.

One thing with Dog Trainers is that you learn to read body language both in humans and pets. You don't wait for the dog to bite, you will typically see it before it happens. The look on Ms Dinardo's face spoke volumes on her thoughts on the subject. She was visibly on the side that Shock Collars are evil instruments. across the country who may not know about AKC’s resources and offerings. For better or worse, the vast majority of those owners will face struggles at the most basic level of training, not the complexities of handling performance-level dogs in the field or advanced companion work. When we appeared on Fox & Friends, it was our intention to speak to those novice owners who are seeking the best methods to create well-trained pets. And you took the position that Shock Collars are for irresponsible dog owners that want to cause their pets pain and stress.

Those methods do not include misuse or overuse of e-collars at the hands of amateur owners, Every Shock Collar I have purchased always came with a book or video of instructions. People should always be aware there are many professional trainers available to assist in training your pet correctly.

Using positive reinforcement if used wrong can create issues for the dog in the future. Obesity is a major cause of health issues in this country. Dogs being overfed treats is a major contributor. an opinion with which I’m sure any dog expert can agree. AKC maintains its encouragement of positive reinforcement techniques for those beginner owners.

We continue to support the training techniques used by our experienced, responsible, and dedicated performance and companion competitors, and we apologize for not making that distinction clear during Saturday’s segment. I can understand your position that there can be a distinction between performance and pet training however most techniques cross over effectively. I also understand that a major portion of the operating budget of the AKC comes from Performance Events. The obvious distain of certain training devices shown by Ms Dinardo leaves me in the position that I have to seriously reconsider which registry I will support in the future.

Thank you

chrokeva

Re: AKC Response to an email pertaining to E-Collar Use

Post by chrokeva » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:06 pm

Very good reply...I think you touched on many of the concerns regarding the interview and the letter.

Gooseman07

Post by Gooseman07 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:07 pm

I just got that email too and I'm just not sure I read an apology or there was a misunderstanding in the interview in there. I guess it's an easy decision for me, there aren't any AKC events within a few hours

JKP

Post by JKP » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:32 pm

Why not say that e collars are highly effective when used by knowledgeable and capable owners....and leave a it at that. You will continue to see "pandering" to the liberal base..

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:59 pm

So did you hear back from the AKC after your response?

shets114

Post by shets114 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:47 pm

Nope. Heard nothing since then.