2 new setters.

jbonesky

2 new setters.

Post by jbonesky » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:50 pm

Last week I was offered a free English-Llewellin Setter. Since I've been dying for a bird dog anyway I agreed. But when I got there I ended up leaving with him and his sister to kind of "rescue" her. Now with 3 dogs in our small home with a smal yard, my wife is pleading with me to find another home for one of the setters. My original plan was 100% the male dog, he seemed much more confident and outgoing. Though after 6 days with these dogs now I'm a litte undecided. I am praying you all can give me some insight on how to figure out which one may make the better bird dog???

They are 8 months old, I have not seen either point. They both show a lot of interest in the black birds that sworm the pond behind our house.

Gooseman07

2 new setters.

Post by Gooseman07 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:12 pm

You can handle 3 dogs. We just moved in town with our 3 boys. Your yard may need some extra help but that's another story.

jbonesky

Re: 2 new setters.

Post by jbonesky » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:32 pm

Gooseman07 wrote:You can handle 3 dogs. We just moved in town with our 3 boys. Your yard may need some extra help but that's another story.
Well you and I are on the same page! My wife not so much!

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:40 pm

I'm a wife with 6 dogs.

A good vacuum cleaner, and I'm good to go to 7. :lol:

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:34 pm

shags wrote:I'm a wife with 6 dogs.

Now there is a princess. last girl friend I had told me my dog's had to stasy out of MY house. I sent her back to her own house 75 mi from here. You have to be firm, not a lot of shags in this life.

Cicada

Post by Cicada » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:01 pm

Make sure one or both of the rescues are not gun shy; one of the top reasons folks give away bird dogs is because they made them gun shy.

Grant

jbonesky

Post by jbonesky » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:19 am

Haha well I would love to keep them both, but already have to make time to work with one let alone 2.

nevermind

Post by nevermind » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:13 am

Pick the one that bonds to you the quickest... seems choosing a dog can be a crapshoot hopefully the dogs came from good breeder.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:56 pm

shags wrote:I'm a wife with 6 dogs.

My husband went away for a week and came home to find a GSP here. :) He'd never had a dog in his family and was not pleased. He got over it and many dogs later............although, he doesn't go away as often now.

"Make sure one or both of the rescues are not gun shy; one of the top reasons folks give away bird dogs is because they made them gun shy." Grant

good advice. Don't shoot near the dog to find out. Shoot from 100 yards and watch what happens.

jbonesky

Post by jbonesky » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:26 pm

-Sharon,
I'm trying to wait a little longer on checking gun shy, they both had very minimal human contact and a lot of that was negative. The female is a LOT more skiddish/jumpy. Though she is a lot more "lovey."

-Nevermind,
They were bred by a buddy of mine, who bred his 2 hunting dogs and kept a pup. He actually sold them to the guy, and then when he found out they were being neglected talked the old guy into giving them up. Both parents are pretty good grouse dogs.