My 8 month old lab broke his left back femur :(

SoGaLabLover

My 8 month old lab broke his left back femur :(

Post by SoGaLabLover » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:01 am

Greetings. This happened on September 1st, my vet performed surgery on September 2nd, said it was a clean break and surgery went great, they had to put a rod to hold femur together which is common from what I hear. This actually happen the Monday before my wedding weekend, talk about good timing! However, I am kind of glad it happen when it did and I have a good vet, they kept him for nearly 2 weeks due to me being on my honeymoon and all, I truly think/hope that is going to pay off in the long run with his recovery. I have had him at home going on 2 week, keeping him in crate only to go out to bathroom every few hours, per the vets intructions. I do take him out of crate at night to let him sprawl out in floor to watch some TV w/ him mom and I :). He is doing great, thankfully, taking him back tomorrow for 2nd check up.

Have any of you have any experience with this? How long did it take your pup to recover? Any recommendation on rehabing it once the vet clears me/him to do so? We do have a pool and am hearing light swimming will help tremendously once the vet gives me permission to do so. They are taking rod out in about 2 weeks if all continues to go well, that will be 6 weeks. He is walking on it better and better every day!

Thanks for any input, just looking for some advice and encouragement my boy is going to be ok :) Broke my heart he had to miss his first dove season, he was/is ready!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: My 8 month old lab broke his left back femur :(

Post by Sharon » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:40 pm

The dog is always ready to go , but up to us to follow the vet's instructions. One of my setters has had two TPLOs... ruptured cranial cruciate ligaments. He is fine now... can go 2 hours at a full run. Slight limping when he gets up from sleeping. My only advice is to start only slowly when the vet says he can run- 10 minutes and then increasing week by week. One bonus with a lab is that they love to swim. Swimming when the vets says o.k is great ! ( You pay $300.00 a rehab session for the dog to swim.)

SoGaLabLover

Post by SoGaLabLover » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:33 pm

Sharon, thank you so much for your reply. And yes, you are right, the little guy is ready to ROLL in his mind :D

When you say 300.00 a rehab session, do you mean if I had to take him to a proffessional or something? I dont think you did but wanted to confirm. I would think I would be able to get in with him in our pool and start doing some light swimming, WHEN the vet says its ok?

Thanks again!

deke

Post by deke » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:34 am

Not sure how this relates to dogs, but I can tell you from experience that breaking your femur is about the worse bone in your body to break as far as healing time goes. I was out of commission longer than my buddy who broke three neck bones. He was back to work in three weeks, I still needed someone to help me get out of bed at that time. And the pool was amazing for rehab, you can exercise the muscles without putting a lot of weight onto the bone.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:56 pm

Our pup broke hers at about 3 months. It is absolutely CRITICAL that you keep the dog under control. They can quickly jump up or down, turn too fast, etc. I know crate rest sucks (I had one dog on crate rest for almost 5 months) - but in the end, it's best for the dog. We did buy some crazy dog puzzle games for the dog to help keep her sanity (it helped a little), also frozen kongs stuffed with wet kibble - all this in the crate. We did lots of night time movies and interaction as much as you can. It's hard to keep a lab down, but it is for the dogs' own good - be tough and be firm on the rules - you won't regret it. Leash walking means a short, short leash and no steps. We did water therapy on our pup because we have a pool. It was good for her - but again, no steps. Good luck with him!

Pepper

Post by Pepper » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:09 pm

I wish speedy recovery for your dog. :)

SoGaLabLover

Post by SoGaLabLover » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:38 am

excellent advice all around. he has been back for weekly check-ups every week, and he is doing great! if all goes well this coming tuesday with the exray, they will take his pins out and he will be good to start his rehab therapy. He seems to be doing great though, crazy how fast time has gone but yes, he is SICK of that crate. We have been very disciplined with him, but we are'nt out of the woods yet! Thanks again and happy hunting!

If all goes well, he will get to go on his first dove hunt in the next couple/few weeks :)

deke

Post by deke » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:53 am

They are taking the pins out? I still have six in my leg, and a plate. Wonder why they take them out of dogs?

ByronL

Post by ByronL » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:19 am

RE. My 8 month old lab broke his left back femur :
by byronl .
I had a black lab that I was running in field trials , he was 2 yrs. old. I was heading to a trial some distance away , had stopped to let him out of the crate in an open area when a car came around a corner and hit him , breaking the right femur - 3 spiral breaks . I had a friend who is a vet . in that area so we operated and plated the breaks . Had to keep him from any activity for almost a year . he heeled with no complications we went on to win many trials . yours should heel well - don't allow him too much activity for a few month to allow the bone to mend .

SoGaLabLover

Post by SoGaLabLover » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:46 am

deke wrote:They are taking the pins out? I still have six in my leg, and a plate. Wonder why they take them out of dogs?
The rod/plate I should say. This is what he has said numerous times, I assumed the pins too, I am actually fairly certain of it.

deke

Post by deke » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:57 pm

SoGaLabLover wrote:
deke wrote:They are taking the pins out? I still have six in my leg, and a plate. Wonder why they take them out of dogs?
The rod/plate I should say. This is what he has said numerous times, I assumed the pins too, I am actually fairly certain of it.

If you are going to take one out you might as well take the others out, I had the opportunity to take mine out but they said no bad effects if I didn't.