Cockers Asemble!

IronRangeECS

Cockers Asemble!

Post by IronRangeECS » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:34 pm

Hi I'm new to this forum and new to the gundog world, but I was happy to see Spaniel Folks amongst all the GSP crazies! My wife and I have been married for almost four years now, and September of '13 we bought our first dog. We live in an apartment with a 35lb limit, so my dreams of having my own golden retriever were short lived. Needless to say that 35lb limit forced me into the buying the best little bird dog I've owned. (Including my dogs growing up)
I was not expecting the level of energy however! walking behind my fathers golden retrievers one could imagine a man with a tuba following the dog around as he deliberately picked his way across the field. My dog on the other hand reminds me of the flight of the bumble bee. :D

Okay! what I want to know is this. Do you have a cocker? Do you hunt ruffed grouse? How did you come to own your first cocker? What is your best hunting story involving your pint sized bird dog?

GO!

mnaj_springer

Re: Cockers Asemble!

Post by mnaj_springer » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:37 am

Hey IronRange,

Welcome... You may want to ask those questions in "The Spaniel Spot" under "Training." That's where you'll find the most spaniel folks on this forum. But again, welcome!

chrokeva

Post by chrokeva » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:35 pm

Hi and welcome!
I too have my first cocker and can definitely relate to the bumble bee analogy! The crate is my best friend as there are times I just can't take her high energy for hours on end. I am spending a lot of time just getting her to sit quite (quite a challenge with these little dogs).
We decided on a cocker also mostly due to the size but also were attracted to a dog that works closely.
My little girl is almost 8 months old so she is not out hunting yet but plans for the future include grouse, quail, pheasant and even duck if we can settle her down some.
Looking forward to hearing more about your little dog!

mask

Post by mask » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:19 pm

lol, I thought this was a thread about cock fighters. :lol:

IronRangeECS

Post by IronRangeECS » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:19 pm

chrokeva wrote:Hi and welcome!
I too have my first cocker and can definitely relate to the bumble bee analogy! The crate is my best friend as there are times I just can't take her high energy for hours on end. I am spending a lot of time just getting her to sit quite (quite a challenge with these little dogs).
We decided on a cocker also mostly due to the size but also were attracted to a dog that works closely.
My little girl is almost 8 months old so she is not out hunting yet but plans for the future include grouse, quail, pheasant and even duck if we can settle her down some.
Looking forward to hearing more about your little dog!

My dog was the same way. Crating the dog is counter productive, but sometimes it's the only thing that that keeps you sane. Once we decided that breeding was not in her future we had her spayed. shortly after that she calmed a bit becoming much easier to train. people now comment about how wonderful and well trained she is, and how they want two of her because she's so cute. I always chuckle a little and think "is that my dog they're talking about?"

All that being said I would do it all over again to have the dog i have now.

IronRangeECS

Post by IronRangeECS » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:43 pm

chrokeva

Post by chrokeva » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:04 pm

What a good looking dog!
I believe my pup will probably end up getting spayed as well but figure I will wait to make that decision until more of her training is complete.
I have to say that I do not believe I have ever known sweeter and more fun loving dog as this little cocker. They truly are amazing little dogs.
Last edited by chrokeva on Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IronRangeECS

Post by IronRangeECS » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:48 am

Here is a pic minus all the mud hahah

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:09 pm

I also have a cocker but mine wouldn't fit your wife's standards. He's a lean and mean hunting machine at 40 lbs.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:11 pm

Forgot to mention - yes we hunt ruffed grouse (almost exclusively):

birdshot

Post by birdshot » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:43 pm

Welcome IronrangeECS. I like the looks of your dog and love hunting behind a spaniel. Were you inviting us to come up and hunt grouse?

IronRangeECS

Post by IronRangeECS » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:50 pm

birdshot wrote:Welcome IronrangeECS. I like the looks of your dog and love hunting behind a spaniel. Were you inviting us to come up and hunt grouse?
Hahaha! sure :D I've got 80 acres of prime grouse property. some of it isn't the easiest to walk but it holds a lot of birds including woodcock and ducks. there are tons of other trails up here to make a trip from out of state worth it.

UplandJim

Post by UplandJim » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:18 am

A few pics of my boy
blazegrouse.PNG
blazebumper.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.