Myoglobinurig?

Runningdog

Myoglobinurig?

Post by Runningdog » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:45 pm

Just got off the phone with a friend who hunted his 2yr. old EP and notice his urine was brick red took him to the er the doc said he has myoglobinurig something to do with muscle breakdown by the kidneys, he did say rare in dogs more common in horses keeping him overnite on IV to flush kidneys. Anyone hear of this? My first any info would be appreciated...

Fran Seagren

Re: Myoglobinurig?

Post by Fran Seagren » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:14 pm

Only had something like this happen once - about 10 years ago. A lab hunting early season blue grouse at about 4,500 ft. It was pretty hot and humid. Even though he was young and in good condition, and I'm pretty careful with my dogs, he started peeing dark pink! Definitely catches your eye. We stopped hunting and took him to the vet immediately. By the time we got to the vet, he was pretty much back to normal. I can't remember if the vet gave the condition a name, but he gave "Jonz" some IV fluids and it never happened again. :) Lived to be almost 14.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:59 pm

Have your buddy ask the vet about exertional rhabdomyolysis. It can be something he might want to becareful about.
Sometimes dogs have exercise induced hematuria and it turns out to be no big deal, but if it's more than that you're looking at muscle breakdown and damage to the kidneys.

Runningdog

Post by Runningdog » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:28 am

Thanks all, last report he doing well..

41magsnub

Post by 41magsnub » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:19 am

Maddie had this on Saturday while hunting out of town. Started peeing blood after about 12 miles of hunting (about midway for her on an average day). Caught a urine sample and took her to the emergency vet. I thought it was going to be a UTI, but the analysis of the sample was clean other than the fact there was blood in it. Vet said it was exercise induced, but put her on a course of antibiotics in case there was a UTI or she picks up a UTI from all the blood. Got her home and she was peeing clear again.

Bit of a scare and we will be keeping an eye on her. I'm going to talk to our regular vet today. For all I know she has done this before, we just noticed this time it because of the snow.

deke

Post by deke » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:11 pm

If I am not mistaken, this is the same thing that Junior Dos Santos had after one of his fights in the UFC. How it was explained to me was his body had almost no fat, and he was training so hard trying to cut down on weight that his body basically starts cannibalizing muscle tissue to make up for lack of any other food source.

houghtonic

Post by houghtonic » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:07 pm

I'm no vet, but I used to have a racing whippet and it's Myoglobinuria, most often caused by exertional rhabdomyolisis or "running off the back" in racing dogs. It's when the dog puts out so much effort and usually in hot/humid conditions and their muscles are putting out so much toxins due to lack of heat management, the kidneys can't keep up and they shut down. It happened to my racing dog once. It got bad with him. He couldn't stop urinating, all of the water in his system was leaving over a few hour period...the skin started to sag and he started going into total body cramps as he started to dehydrate despite attempts to hydrate at home. Treatment was that he went to the vet for IV with sodium bicarbonate solution. Treatment is detailed in the book "care of the racing greyhound", although I'm sure other dog athlete books detail the treatment and causes. My dog ended up fine after the initial scare. He did lose a little speed after that, but nothing too noticeable. I went through the protocols of watching certain chemical levels in his urine for the next month to make sure the kidneys were recovered and working fine. A lesson I'll always remember and will always watch out for any oddly dark urine when the dogs are working hard.