Pigeons not loft flying very long or far.

CCBIRDDOGMAN

Pigeons not loft flying very long or far.

Post by CCBIRDDOGMAN » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:07 pm

All summer my birds have been loft flying and most of the summer they were flying out pretty far, I live on a lake and would even see them from out on the water while fishing, circling my house, then flying around the neighborhood, over the lake, etc. for the past few weeks, when I let them out, they pretty much just hang around in nearby trees for an hour or so & most of them will trap back in. Sometimes there is 2-3 on the roof or in a nearby tree for longer but for the most part, they just want back in the coop. Yesterday was a beautiful day and I was at home sick, so I went out early (like 2pm) and let them fly, they just hung around on the ground for an hour or so & went back in the coop, a couple of them flew a little bit but not much. When I went back out at 4:30 to let the dogs run, all but one was back in the coop. I have been seeing a hawk more lately and assume he got one of my young birds last week that had only been out of the coop twice, maybe they know the hawk is around? I was really getting used to watching 8-10 birds in a group flying around, can't figure out why they quit. Any suggestions?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Pigeons not loft flying very long or far.

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:57 pm

I am guessing that they are molting and aren't feeling real perky. They need to be in resting and also getting a high protein diet for a while.

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:57 pm

In the fall when the raptors are moving south, my birds don't fly far if I just loft fly them. Sometimes they will spend three or four days in a row just going out, then trapping back in within 15 minutes or so. I think they are very aware that the predators are not the same ones as the 'home grown' ones who were hanging about all summer. In a week or so I'll bet your birds will be back to normal if there aren't so many hawks and falcons around. I don't force them if they seem a little shy; I figure they know something. Pigeons are a lot of fun.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:56 pm

If I don't lock my birds in at night, they will leave at the crack of dawn and not return until nearly sundown. Beats me where they go.

CCBIRDDOGMAN

Post by CCBIRDDOGMAN » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:07 am

they are moulting, so that is probably it.