Homemade dog box

MGIII

Homemade dog box

Post by MGIII » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:49 pm

Any of you make your own dog box? I would like to make a single dog box for the back of my Titan and was hoping you guys have made some and could give me a few ideas

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: Homemade dog box

Post by DonF » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:48 pm

Yes I have. Years agio made a three dog box that fit in the bed of my little Toyota PU. Made the floor, then Put in the divider's, the front and finally the top. Once it was together I cut out the door's and used the cutout's for the door. Draw in on the front first them cut out the hinge side, stop there and put on the hinges. Cut out the rest and remove the cut out and draw a hole in the door using a coffee can as a pattern. I got a bunch of rubber belting, heavy duty stuff and used it on the roof. First put drip edge all the way around and glue the edge's of the belting to the drip edge and then nail all the way around with 3/4" roofing nails. Still have mine and it still in good condition. Been years since it's been used though. If I built another I'd make it two compartment's. Squirt and Bodie balk at going in, kind of small for them.

I should sell the thing and make a new one.

MGIII

Homemade dog box

Post by MGIII » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:08 pm

DonF wrote:Yes I have. Years agio made a three dog box that fit in the bed of my little Toyota PU. Made the floor, then Put in the divider's, the front and finally the top. Once it was together I cut out the door's and used the cutout's for the door. Draw in on the front first them cut out the hinge side, stop there and put on the hinges. Cut out the rest and remove the cut out and draw a hole in the door using a coffee can as a pattern. I got a bunch of rubber belting, heavy duty stuff and used it on the roof. First put drip edge all the way around and glue the edge's of the belting to the drip edge and then nail all the way around with 3/4" roofing nails. Still have mine and it still in good condition. Been years since it's been used though. If I built another I'd make it two compartment's. Squirt and Bodie balk at going in, kind of small for them.

I should sell the thing and make a new one.
Awesome. Do you have any pictures of it?

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:36 am

I'll see about one tomorrow.

Gooseman07

Homemade dog box

Post by Gooseman07 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:47 am

Don, what material did you use for the sides? I'm trying to make a storage box and want something weatherproof but I'm skeptical of straight plywood. The box I currently have is plywood inside and some sort of plastic/vinyl on the outside.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:55 am

When I got my first gun dog the man who got me into gun dogs made this box for me. He is a talented man not only with dogs as this box speaks for itself. It was used hard transporting Jax to the coverts. When Jax passed away I retired it and refinished it and it is now an end table in our living room. When max was a pup he would go in it. Max is ham'n it in the pictures. :)

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:17 am

We made these a few years ago for our horse trailer. There's aluminum channel along all inside edges, and we cut a 1" thick stall mat up to fit very tightly into each box for some cushion and to hold up to any digging the dogs decided to do. We used it for 2 years, then sold it to a pro trainer when we needed the space in our trailer for another horse. Wish we had kept it. Hind sight is 20/20 of course.

codym

Post by codym » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:51 pm

Karen wrote:We made these a few years ago for our horse trailer. There's aluminum channel along all inside edges, and we cut a 1" thick stall mat up to fit very tightly into each box for some cushion and to hold up to any digging the dogs decided to do. We used it for 2 years, then sold it to a pro trainer when we needed the space in our trailer for another horse. Wish we had kept it. Hind sight is 20/20 of course.

Thats sweet! I wish I was talented at making stuff

MGIII

Homemade dog box

Post by MGIII » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:12 pm

Those are impressive dog boxes. Thank you for sharing. I don't know if I could build the quality of either one of those.

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:30 pm

Somewhere you can buy replacement doors for a plastic type kennel those will save you a lot of time during your build the next one I build will have those doors the last one I built my own doors

Springer

Post by Springer » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:10 pm

search for owens DIY dog box. Just need to add the plywood.

MGIII

Homemade dog box

Post by MGIII » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:24 pm

Springer wrote:search for owens DIY dog box. Just need to add the plywood.
Those are nice. Didn't see a price on them.

Fun dog

Post by Fun dog » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:34 pm

Here are a couple my husband made. Maybe a bit more than what you want, but impressive none-the-less.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MGIII

Homemade dog box

Post by MGIII » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:46 pm

Very impressive