Garmin Astro 320 dog distance

outofrshell

Garmin Astro 320 dog distance

Post by outofrshell » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:49 pm

I hunt mostly public lands in Wyoming for chukar and blue grouse so there is a lot of room for my German Wirehaired pointer to run. I use a Garmin 320 Astro to keep track of her and have checked her track distance at the end of the day and it is usually 3x my miles (example mine 8 her's 24). Just curious if other hunters using a tracking collar have found this to be about the same ratio. Dave

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:26 pm

I see more like 5x with my pointers.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: Garmin Astro 320 dog distance

Post by DonF » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:59 am

I don't know how to do that with mine?

mask

Post by mask » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:07 pm

3 to 5 times is fairly common in big country.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:31 pm

DonF wrote:I don't know how to do that with mine?
Just down load it to your computer with the cord that came in the box. The track and report is straightforward. It will tell you a lot.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:06 pm

Thanks Neil!

ruffbritt4

Post by ruffbritt4 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:10 pm

you can go to dog then hit enter and show info. It will show dogs average speed along with the dogs distance traveled. Never tried to see my distance

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:40 pm

You don't have to do that Don. From the DOG page, click Menu. Click "show info". It will show you how far the dog has gone and how fast it has gone. For yourself, go to "trip computer". Click on it. It will give you your distance and speed. Both the trip computer and dog info have to be reset at the start of each hunt and they don't do it together. Each has to be reset individually. You can monitor all that right on the receiver, no need to download anything.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:41 pm

I'm old. So's my dog. She averages 2-2-1/2 times my distance.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:27 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:You don't have to do that Don. From the DOG page, click Menu. Click "show info". It will show you how far the dog has gone and how fast it has gone. For yourself, go to "trip computer". Click on it. It will give you your distance and speed. Both the trip computer and dog info have to be reset at the start of each hunt and they don't do it together. Each has to be reset individually. You can monitor all that right on the receiver, no need to download anything.
While true, there is so much more info if you do download, not just average speed, but speed in any segment. The track is much easier to see, etc. I do reset before each run. Try it.

ruffbritt4

Post by ruffbritt4 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:18 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:You don't have to do that Don. From the DOG page, click Menu. Click "show info". It will show you how far the dog has gone and how fast it has gone. For yourself, go to "trip computer". Click on it. It will give you your distance and speed. Both the trip computer and dog info have to be reset at the start of each hunt and they don't do it together. Each has to be reset individually. You can monitor all that right on the receiver, no need to download anything.
how do you reset them?

outofrshell

Post by outofrshell » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:15 pm

Thanks to every one for the replies it pretty much confirms what I have been recording plus I learned some more about my Astro. Thanks again Dave and have a great season

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:22 am

Neil wrote:
While true, there is so much more info if you do download, not just average speed, but speed in any segment. The track is much easier to see, etc. I do reset before each run. Try it.
I will Neil, I have never downloaded to a computer. What are the steps to download to a computer? Thank You.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:24 am

ruffbritt4 wrote:
how do you reset them?
For the dog stats, It always asks you if you want to start a new hunt, say yes, and if you want to mark the location of the truck, say yes. It will also ask if you want to delete previous dog info or save it. Personally, I delete for each day and only run a days hunt on it.

To reset your personal trip computer, go to trip computer, reset, and hit the ok or yes. Whenever you turn on the Astro it asks if you want to start a new hunt and save old info. With the trip computer, you have to remember to do it.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:27 am

The download is neat and easy, just hook up the cord that comes in the box and it will take you through it step by step. It will show the dog's track in 5 second intervals (,or whatever refresh rate you have set).

From years of scouting I knew many goof off when they go over the hill. But the smart ones will mouse here, chase a squirrel over there, plop down in a mud puddle, etc. And then race to show to the front. It is a hoot to see proof.

41magsnub

Post by 41magsnub » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:12 am

Last weekend my GWP did 50.4 miles split between Friday and Saturday according to my Alpha. I did 10 miles in total the two days with my temporarily gimpy foot. She was on fire on Friday, we had 6 hunters and 3 dogs but Maddie wanted to quarter in front of all 6 of us early on and as such racked up a bunch of extra miles. She was slower on Saturday :)

So.. 5:1, it's more like 3:1 when I'm not hobbling.