Thoughts?

ewalker

Thoughts?

Post by ewalker » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:45 am

I have been in contact with a owner of what he says is a Llewelin Setter almost 2, he advised he has very little bird work only yard work. The guy said he lost his papers and just wants to give him to a home where he will be used. I have a picture of the dog and is a very nice looking Tri, question is would there be a way to get him registered and would he be worth the time with him being almost 2? I have to sell to the wife that it would be worth it so any help or advise would be great :D . I currently have a setter, and this would be another dog to the house.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Re: Thoughts?

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:08 am

If the dog was registered there should be a way to get to the registry by way of the owner or breeder. If the current owner was indeed the person who registered the dog, they should be able to obtain duplicate papers from whatever registry the dog is listed with. If they did not register the dog but the breeder enrolled(registered) the litter, it should still be possible to register the dog. You may have to prove the dog was from that specific litter via DNA or documentation, but it should be possible.

If the dog or the litter was not registered with AKC or FDSB, the dog will probably not be able to be registered in the conventional sense with AKC or FDSB.

If you want to try to make the dog into a hunting dog, you don't need papers for that. If you want to breed or compete, you do.

RayG

ewalker

Post by ewalker » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:34 am

I am looking more to hunting, but would like the option. I live 2 miles from Amo Conservation Bird dog Club home of NSTRA. I do not run trials now but I am considering, would be a way to see my dogs work more than just he few months a year. I have heard there is alot of false claims of Llewelin's when they are not. I am going to go take a look at him and try and get some more information, I just enjoy watching dog work and have very fond memories of a dog my dad had when I was a todler. I really want to be able to pass this experience on to my kids so they also can enjoy.

Ed

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:02 am

Ed -

I am not familiar with NSTRA registration requirements,, but I am sure they are listed somewhere on their website.

As far as Llewellin's are concerned, all you need to remember is that underneath all the BS and hyperbole, they are, or should be, a good 'ol English Setter hunting dog.

There are folks that get all exercised about whether or not they are llew's or laveracks or this or that, but they are all English Setters. In the pointer world there were and still are those who proudly announce that their dog is an ELHEW. For the most part, that only means to me that the person paid waaaaaay too much for the dog because they bought the hype and the marketing.

As long as it hunts the way you want who gives a toot what kind of English setter it is called? Not I, for sure.

RayG

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:15 am

If the dog is registered with FDSB then it can be either a setter or a llew. If it's registered AKC, then your choice is English Setter. I don't know about other registries.
In my experience there are folks, especially of the older variety, who call any field-type ( as opposed to bench or show type) setter, a llewelyn. In reality, a llew is a strain of setters and to be registered as such with FDSB it needs to meet some DNA requirements.
If you don't have any luck getting the original registration papers on the dog, you can register him with AKC under their PAL program. That will enable you to run the dog in the hunt test program. AKC hunt tests have three levels of training so you can enjoy running your pup pretty much from basic instinct level in Junior Hunter, to serviceable gundog in Senior, to a completely finished dog in Master.