Ugly dog

cbump

Ugly dog

Post by cbump » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:39 am

Anyone ever paid a lot of money for a high prize puppy that just turned out to be super ugly?

We got a lab pup out of Texas Troubadour that has amazing drive, etc. but "bleep" she's ugly. She's 18 weeks old now. We have literally had people ask what kind of mix she is.

Just asking.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Re: Ugly dog

Post by Karen » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:53 am

BAD age to try and judge beauty on a pup. They go through some pretty awkward stages. MOST grow out of them....some don't.

cbump

Post by cbump » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:15 pm

Thanks for the reply. We love her, it's just kind of funny. My wife will talk to the dogs and say "hey handsome" to the vizsla and "hey ugly" to the lab. lmao.

jfwhit

Post by jfwhit » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:41 pm

I was at a small seminar recently. The trainer trained English Pointers. He started off giving advice on choosing a puppy. He said they must be pretty. He said if they point... no dog is ugly, but nothing worse than an ugly dog that won't point. Made me laugh.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:41 am

I know what you mean but they're usually the best performer's. Being female and a field dog bred only for performance not looks you've gotta expect it. My neighbor has the best looking and biggest lab I've ever seen, zero bird drive. I'll occasionally use him as a stud to my ugly field line females to get a pretty good looking dog with some bird drive.

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:53 pm

Then there are those of us who want Ugly Dogs.

Devilscreekw

Post by Devilscreekw » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:53 am

Many years ago I had a freebee dog given to me that was ugly as a mud fence. He was also a son of Fiddler so I thought I'd give him a try. He ran a bit, but looked awesome on point. And he could find birds.

But he smelled to high heaven, no amount of bathing could relieve it for more than a day. My wife told me to pass him down the line.

UglyD

Post by UglyD » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:38 am

Scott Linden wrote:Then there are those of us who want Ugly Dogs.

Wouldn't even think of anything else

cbump

Post by cbump » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:56 am

Thought I'd show her off.

Tioga's Magpie the Ugg
"Maggie"

Long snout, small beady eyes.

She's pretty awesome though. Click for video from yesterday.

Bluesky2012

Ugly dog

Post by Bluesky2012 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:48 pm

cbump wrote:Thought I'd show her off.

Tioga's Magpie the Ugg
"Maggie"

Long snout, small beady eyes.

She's pretty awesome though. Click for video from yesterday.

That looks just like two of my buddies HRCH labs. Both male and female are around 45-50 lbs. I'd rather have one like that then a fat oaf like most labs these days. Your dog looks like a good dog to me.

Out of curiosity is this the first high pedigree lab you've had or seen? I've had people ask what breed mine is because he's a lot smaller than most labs but he come drone field lines and both parents are HRCH/SH titled dogs.

cbump

Post by cbump » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:11 am

Blue, yes this is my first retriever and pretty much my first time around a good one. All of my buddies are deer hunters so no one I know has dogs. I do have a 2 year old vizsla so am a little experienced in hunting dogs in general.

Maggie the lab will literally want to fetch to the point of annoyance! This morning I got up at 630 to let them outside and I was standing at the window looking out and when she saw me she went and found a ball and brought it to the window. Lmao. I'm convinced it's all she thinks about.

Bluesky2012

Ugly dog

Post by Bluesky2012 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:55 am

cbump wrote:Blue, yes this is my first retriever and pretty much my first time around a good one. All of my buddies are deer hunters so no one I know has dogs. I do have a 2 year old vizsla so am a little experienced in hunting dogs in general.

Maggie the lab will literally want to fetch to the point of annoyance! This morning I got up at 630 to let them outside and I was standing at the window looking out and when she saw me she went and found a ball and brought it to the window. Lmao. I'm convinced it's all she thinks about.
Honestly most people are used to seeing 100lb big fat oaf labs. Yours looks like a true field bred lab. That's what you want. You'll see a huge difference between the dog you have and a regular lab.

sdsujacks

Post by sdsujacks » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:33 pm

My lab is about 70-75 lbs, lean, muscular, and in shape. You can see his ribs a bit, his stomach is high and tight, and his back hips aren't as wide as his chest. I have several people tell me he is too skinny because they are only used to fat 100+ lb labs. Well, if I take a pheasant hunting trip where I walk 10 miles 3 days in a row, I can only imagine how many miles he is running. Is a marathon runner fat? No. Do their ribs show a bit? Probably.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:05 pm

The difference is in how they are fed and exercised. Breeding has little to do with it. Any dog can be kept in good condition but Labs may be a little harder since they love to eat and because of conformation as well as coat have more of a challenge to exercise.

Ezzy

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:09 pm

If it's something easy on the eye that you want the catwalk is the place.
Personally ,If it looked like a cross between Jimmy Durante and Richard Kiel it wouldn't matter a jot if it done the business :mrgreen: