Registered name questions

MGIII

Post by MGIII » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:44 pm

So when giving your dogs registered names what protocol do you guys follow?

I am getting a dog from K nine Brittanys so would the first part of the name be KNine's or because it's going to be my dog would I put my name there?

Does the second part of the name have to honor the sire? I read somewhere that some breeders require this.

I saw the rules on the akc website but from what I gather there are also some unwritten rules.

Thanks in advance.

GunDogAdventures

Re: Registered name questions

Post by GunDogAdventures » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:27 pm

I'm quite impressed with the thought that goes into the naming of some dogs. IMO, I like to see the call name as part of the actual registered name. If you plan on a dual registration (AKC & AF) just understand that AF limits the name to only 3 words.

MGIII

Post by MGIII » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:36 pm

Good to know about AF. Thanks

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:55 pm

It's your dog so you can name it anything you want. There aren't rules excèpt those laid out by the registries. Look on their websites for info about number of letters, words, etc.

Some breeders/kennels prefer to use their names on all their pups; some don't prefer it but don't mind if you do; others don't want you to use their registered kennel name. Ask when you pick up the pup and receive the papers.

You don't have to include any part of the sire's or dam's name in the pup's name. Some people do it to honor one or both or to sort of "boost" their pup's status - more or less fame by association.

Pick the kind of name that appeals to you. Some people like really long names with as many words as allowed, others prefer names of just one word and few letters. Names can reflect a sense of humor or a sense of pride in ownership and everything in between. You might try checking the AKC website for placements or the Field Trial database, the events section of this forum ( for running orders) and the American Field online version to get a feel for different approaches to naming dogs.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:10 pm

GunDogAdventures wrote:I'm quite impressed with the thought that goes into the naming of some dogs. IMO, I like to see the call name as part of the actual registered name. If you plan on a dual registration (AKC & AF) just understand that AF limits the name to only 3 words.
Seem's to me AF limit's you to 24 letter's.

jfwhit

Post by jfwhit » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:31 pm

I like clever registered names that somehow eludes to the call name.

GunDogAdventures

Post by GunDogAdventures » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:45 pm

I went back and looked at my AF paperwork, and it is actually 4 words AND limited to 24 letters. Thanks Don!

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:00 pm

jfwhit wrote:I like clever registered names that somehow eludes to the call name.
+1 Dibs on "Trick Shot Lady"- call name: "Oakley"

MGIII

Post by MGIII » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:15 pm

I have a couple in mind for when I get my pup. I'll let the family come up with her call name.

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:28 pm

Usually you would put Knine's leading the name, but a lot of breeders don't care. I think Arlette would, though. If you ask, though, they often times won't care. Just give her a ring.

MGIII

Post by MGIII » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:47 am

I think she would want KNine's to leads the name too. I'll ask her next time I talk to her.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:32 am

We name the pups we buy with our name first and the pups we breed with our name last. This gives us a way to keep track. I wish I would have went the opposite way to start with. We would like the buyers to put our kennel name last but it is the buyers choice. Many do not register the puppy any way. It is really their choice.......................Cj

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:35 am

I think if you want to use the name of the kennel, the breeder would be flattered. I think unless using the kennel name is part of your contract of sale it should not make any difference with AKC or AF. Unless you are going to start your own kennel and breeding program, it is unnecessary to incorporate your name unless you want to. I like to incorporate the name of a "notable" dog up front in a pedigree like a NAFC or NFC HOF. Their was a NFC Brit Champion called Lobo's Klickitat County Line and his call name was "Jim". I don't think there are any hard and fast rules on this other than what Don and the other posters said. Keep your call name short and use hard syllables if you can. It carries farther in the field when you call.

MGIII

Post by MGIII » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:08 am

I spoke to Arlette to see what she requires or prefers. Thanks for your help everyone

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:49 pm

I sometimes look at the pedigree and see what I can make up from it or take a theme ...I appreciate when people use my kennel name K Nine but I don't mandate it so if you go look at the pedigree sire is going to be K Nines Wind runner aka Dakota and the same is K Nines Microburst aka squeaker ...K Nines Blazin the wind aka Windy ....or look deeper on the pedigree you will see a bunch of things that you can play with. These pups haven't been conceived yet squeaker will be another 4 plus days before she is ready to be bred

Brit1432

Post by Brit1432 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:21 am

I didn't use the kennel's name, but did include the Sire as well as his grandfather. Ike's Amsterdam Bullet, call name, Dutch.