Anyone hunt 2 different breeds of dogs

czeger

Anyone hunt 2 different breeds of dogs

Post by czeger » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:33 pm

I have a 1 yr old gsp that I'm currentley working with and found a smoking deal on a finished 3 yr old llewellin setter anyone hunt 2 different breeds at the same time on here

cbump

Re: Anyone hunt 2 different breeds of dogs

Post by cbump » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:47 pm

I have a lab and a vizsla. They'll both go on dove/duck hunts but I just take the V for upland. I don't see a problem with having two different breeds at all.

orbirdhunter

Post by orbirdhunter » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:53 pm

Yeah...I own a Brittany and GSP currently, and I have owned a DD and GWP in the past.
I know that a lot of people are kinda one breed people or they have a retriever and pointer....But I am a little different, I like them all so I like having variety in the house. Actually the debate in my household right now is whether to go with a English pointer next or a pudelpointer......Eventually I will probably have both...

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:57 pm

I run a Pointer and a Setter personally, but they have both ran with Vizslas, Shorthairs, Irish, Britts, etc. If you're hesitant because you're afraid they'll conflict each other in the field, don't fret. A lot of it has to do with how they are handled and trained.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:35 pm

I own and hunt with Vizslas and GSP's. Certain pairs work better than other but no major problems.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:57 pm

czeger wrote:I have a 1 yr old gsp that I'm currentley working with and found a smoking deal on a finished 3 yr old llewellin setter anyone hunt 2 different breeds at the same time on here
It all depends on how YOU want to hunt and how the dogs have been brought along. Two pointing dogs is two pointing dogs. The fact that they are different breeds is pretty much irrelevant. It is, after all, pretty much up to you to get them to hunt together the way YOU want. You da boss. I hunt two dogs all the time. Two dogs, one a bit short and one a bit long can be incredibly effective.

BUT...if the llew was bred and trained to hunt close and you like a more rangy dog and your GSP fills up the available country, you might have some issues. The opposite can also be problematic. Just remember that you can shorten up a dog fairly easily, but you can't hardly push them out.

There are dogs that may not like to be kenneled together, but that should not keep them from hunting together effectively. The desire to find game should trump everything else. Just be careful about retrieves. That can get competitive.

RayG

CARAWAY57

Post by CARAWAY57 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:05 pm

I have hunted setters and pointers together many times without trouble.Any trouble I have had has had to do with having 2 males which can lead to fighting for dominance.As long as the dogs handle well and will honor(back) the other dogs point you should be OK. Good luck

Grange

Post by Grange » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:52 pm

I've been hunting my setter and lab together for 5 years. My lab is now 10 so her hunting days are numbered, but it still works great. I also hunt with brittanies and GWP's a lot.

41magsnub

Post by 41magsnub » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:35 am

We hunt GWP's, Brit's, GSP's, and an English setter all at the same time. It works well except one of the GWP's is a dirty little bird thief :)

It's all females though, the only conflict we've ever had was when my GWP (not the thief now) her first time out at 4mo tried to take a bird mid-retrieve from the Brit and got a very educational nip on the snout.

CCBIRDDOGMAN

Post by CCBIRDDOGMAN » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:40 am

We hunt with seven Brittany's and one English pointer.

Firelight

Post by Firelight » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:14 pm

We run my English Setters and my partner's French Brits together all the time. Works well for us.

Pepper

Post by Pepper » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:22 pm

I have a young lab flusher and a pup GSP. Right now I don't think it is a good match. Will have to play this by ear. My gut sezs conflict. :)

Grange

Post by Grange » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:35 pm

We just spent the last three days hunting brittanies, a lab, qnd an english setter together and we've been finding plenty of birds. I love watching the three breeds together. For example on one of the birds all three dogs split the find and between my hunting partner and I we dropped the chestnut colored grouse. We released the dogs and my lab came back with the grouse. It tasted pretty darn good.

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:02 am

I have a pointer and a GSP, they both run pretty big so I dont like hunting them together.

Runningdog

Post by Runningdog » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:24 pm

I have run my older shorthair with labs, she points they go in and flush and retrieve, the one problem we ran across is the labs started to watch her work they got lazy till the beeper went off....

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:58 pm

DD, Jagd Terrier and Teckel here

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:15 pm

We hunt a French Brittany and Springer/GSP mutt together, they do well. We do our best to keep the flusher in the heavy stuff and the EB in the open country. When the EB goes on point, I call my dog to heel and vice versa.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Aslowhiteguy

Post by Aslowhiteguy » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:17 pm

The only reservations I would have is hunting a young pointing dog with a flushing breed.

As far as chukar hunting, a fairly big runner teamed with a close worker is a deadly combo.
I assume it would be the same for other birds too.

Hunting two big runners at the same time can be a pain.

outofrshell

Post by outofrshell » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:30 pm

Great combo a pointer and a flusher. German Wirehaired Pointer and a standard size wirehaired Dachshund. The dachshund is also a great tracker and is riot to watch tackling a wing clipped bird. Dave

deke

Post by deke » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:35 pm

We just got back from a trip hunting wild pheasants and we were running a lab, gsp, pudelpointer, and a springer/english pointer mix. All the dogs hunted very well together, they are all a bit older though, and none of the pointers are trained very well. I did notice my lab starting to pick up on the other dogs pointing near the end of the trip, he would keep a eye on them and if they locked up he would bolt to where they were standing.