Let's talk gun's . Does it matter to you ?

ruffbritt4

Re: Let's talk gun's . Does it matter to you ?

Post by ruffbritt4 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:00 am

P&PGunsmith wrote:Nowadays there are numerous lightweight auto loaders such as the Benelli legacy and ultralight.
I love my benelli legacy. It is lightweight and I shoot really well with it.

jubal

Post by jubal » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:48 am

Just a comment. We went to 20 ga, field load 8's years ago for quail - less damage to the birds. Considerably less damage.

chickenhound

Post by chickenhound » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:28 pm

I like old sxs's. I really like the broad sight plane. I don't have anything really pricey. An ithica flues 12 gauge,from 1924, a 20 gauge skb and I recently picked up a savge fox 20 gauge for a song. They all are mod and full except the skb. The chokes may be a little tight for upland but spreader loads take care of that plus in the two older guns I shoot 2 1/2 inch low pressure shells.

DougB

Post by DougB » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:16 pm

I have carried a Sportsman 48 in 16 gauge for about 55 years now. An 1148 built for ducks. Long barrel, full choke, only holds 3 in the gun. Shoot a long way. I don't think I have ever killed a bird with the third shot. If I miss them with the first two, the third is just one more miss, and a POd dog. I have a Beretta o/u that does nicely. It is actually heavier than the semi, but fits me better when it gets cold out and the coats get heavy.

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:59 pm

I have hunted with quite a few different types over the years, and find that every situation calls for something different.

Still pull out the trusty 870 pump for bad weather days.
My over under is great for days at the preserve/farm where the walking is easy.
Hiking through the woods in search of grouse and my lightweight semi auto 20 gets the call.
When I am out in search for rabbits, I have a youth size single shot 20 that is a bunch of fun.

Same goes for me and my rifles. I have one for every occasion it seems.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:47 pm

CDN_Cocker wrote:I couldn't care less about the gun I carry. I'm not a gun guy, I enjoy hunting, being in the woods, and watching my dog do what he was bred to do. To me, a gun is just a tool you use to knock the birds down. Its like guys that like working on their cars... I doubt they get overly excited about a particular wrench - its just a tool to help them enjoy their real focus. That's just me though, I know a lot of guys are really into guns. Personally I don't care, I'd use a sling shot if I could do it as effectively as a shotgun.
I'm far more picky about my mechanics tools!

But yeah, I'm a dog man, not a gun guy. Personally I don't like autoloaders, but I don't care at all if someone else loves them.

MNTonester

Post by MNTonester » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:50 am

There are two types of upland hunters, those that kill birds, and those that carry side x sides.
I just noticed this when going through this thread again - that is funny

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:19 am

I represent that! :oops:

41magsnub

Post by 41magsnub » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:26 am

If we have enough shooters, I'll happily trade out my shotgun for a hiking pole and just work the dog.

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:04 pm

41magsnub wrote:If we have enough shooters, I'll happily trade out my shotgun for a hiking pole and just work the dog.
I did that once last season and it was a great time. Plus, I got to make fun of everyone for missing lol!

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:27 pm

I continue to be baffled by the lack of popularity for 16ga.

I have my late Pa's Remington autoloader in 16ga and I swing it very well. Probably won't ever seek another upland gun. I struggle with ultralight guns in the higher gauges and our tighter confines of woods and meadows here in NE makes the 12ga a bit of overkill. Just my opinion...and the opinion of a rooster I once obliterated by not letting it fly out. The 16ga is a perfect compromise.

NLsetter

Post by NLsetter » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:32 pm

Deets wrote:I shot a pheasant this morning on my third shot. I'm glad I had the option of a third. My hold up with doubles is the price. Anything decent cost $1,500 plus. I can take a lot of hunting trips for that kind of money.
I have a early 80's Lanber and its a great O/U and wasnt an expensive gun. I actually prefer it over a few other O/U's today in the 1500+ range

NLsetter

Post by NLsetter » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:36 pm

Gun in my advatar is a Ted Williams from sears with poly choke. Was my Fathers gun he purchased in early 70's, heavy gun but one of my favorites for some reason.