Let's talk gun's . Does it matter to you ?

Max2

Let's talk gun's . Does it matter to you ?

Post by Max2 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:58 am

I shoot and love my auto-loader Franchi AL-48 . Every time I see my bud at one of our over lapping coverts he with his CZ SxS . I tell him I'm a "single barrel man" and he laugh's and say's that I am an auto-loader guy. Almost sounding a little cynical. 8) I say I think some folks don't like auto's in the uplands. I started late in life with shotguns and can't seem to put it together with SxS's . & O/U's ah, I'm a little better with. But single pipe works for me. I love the look's of a lot of these type gun's SxS & O/U. Having said that .
Here's my take : Back when man stopped throwing stick's & rocks at upland game. The single barrel evolved. Then the double gun . Two barrels two shot's. I mean why not an auto loader ? The guy's throw'n rock's and sticks would have loved to have had one. how do you feel about an auto loader in the uplands ?

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Re: Let's talk gun's . Does it matter to you ?

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:12 am

Max2 wrote:I shoot and love my auto-loader Franchi AL-48 . Every time I see my bud at one of our over lapping coverts he with his CZ SxS . I tell him I'm a "single barrel man" and he laugh's and say's that I am an auto-loader guy. Almost sounding a little cynical. 8) I say I think some folks don't like auto's in the uplands. I started late in life with shotguns and can't seem to put it together with SxS's . & O/U's ah, I'm a little better with. But single pipe works for me. I love the look's of a lot of these type gun's SxS & O/U. Having said that .
Here's my take : Back when man stopped throwing stick's & rocks at upland game. The single barrel evolved. Then the double gun . Two barrels two shot's. I mean why not an auto loader ? The guy's throw'n rock's and sticks would have loved to have had one. how do you feel about an auto loader in the uplands ?
Well I hunted for about forty years with a humpback, so I guess I am, fine with autoloaders. The way I see it, the birds do not know what they are getting shot with and the dogs don't cvare, as long as they get to wrap their gums around a bird.

I started out with my dad's double barrel LC, 12 ga. Couldn't hit squat with it ...and got beat up in the bargain. That thing kicked like a mule. When my brother went into the Navy I switched to his Lefever 16 ga. Did a little better but nothing to write home about. My Christmas, birthday and yardwork money for two years went toward the purchase of a 12 ga. Browning A-5. My first two paychecks when I was 18 went toward the purchase of a 20 ga. Browning A-5 with an IC choke because the modified choke 12 was too much for birds over pointing dogs. I was never a great shot and that is still true, but I did hit most of the game I shot at with those Brownings.

I like the sight picture of the single tube. I especially like the sight picture of the humpback, because, if all you see is black...you mis-mounted, are looking at the back of the receiver and need to try it again. I am currently shooting an O/U. I do like the balance of the O/U. It helps.

My son started out with a youth model 20 ga. Winchester 1300 pump shotgun. He got pretty good with it, to the point where he could routinely hit multiple targets, launched on first report from two separate throwers. Right now it is sitting behind my den door, has an adult stock on it, no magazine plug, clamp on iron sights and is loaded with 20 ga. buckshot and slugs.

The way I see it, if my hunting buddies look down their nose at my choice of firearm, I would need to find new hunting buddies. It would be the same as someone looking down their nose at my choice of dog to hunt over.

RayG

nevermind

Post by nevermind » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:40 am

We shouldn't care what gun preference others bring to the field...We all have more important battles to fight such as protecting our rights to hunt. Anyway off the soap box....I don't carry a auto loader cause I waste enough shell with my O/U!

Grange

Post by Grange » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:42 am

People care what style of shotgun someone else is using? I use an O/U because I shoot better with the O/U than I do with any of my other shotguns, but I have used pump action, auto-loaders, single shot hammer, bolt action, and even a SxS shotgun and can't remember anyone say anything about the style of shotgun.

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:43 am

Shoot what you like & what works for you - anybody that looks down on your choices has problems unrelated to & beyond upland hunting. Just enjoy your time out in the field.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:49 am

I couldn't care less about the gun I carry. I'm not a gun guy, I enjoy hunting, being in the woods, and watching my dog do what he was bred to do. To me, a gun is just a tool you use to knock the birds down. Its like guys that like working on their cars... I doubt they get overly excited about a particular wrench - its just a tool to help them enjoy their real focus. That's just me though, I know a lot of guys are really into guns. Personally I don't care, I'd use a sling shot if I could do it as effectively as a shotgun.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:52 am

Shoot the gun you like to shoot and can shoot. heck with anyone else's opinion. Lot of snobs in the upland world.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:05 am

Years ago I had a Browning Double Auto, best grouse gun I've ever had. I shot pumps for a long time and even still have one. Keep telling myself I need to take it out and use it. Have had a couple O/U's. Browning Citori that just couldn't get my head around, beautiful gun though, and a Savage 330. Loved that Savage! Other than my old Browning D.A., I've never picked up an auto I liked. I shoot SxS's, light, fast and they make me look good! lol

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:57 am

It's illegal to shoot over a pointing dog with anything but a double (at least that is what I told my wife). When we are toing field work with the NAVHDA chapter a break action is required by club rules and I can see the logic since you can tell from a distance if it is safe or not. That attribute is nice in the uplands with a large number of people but nothing truly replaces safe gun handling.

If you are hunting with me , it does not matter as long as your safe.

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:30 am

I'm a double snob, but could care less what anyone else uses. With that said, some of the Southern plantations do require a break action gun for safety. At least that's what they claim. I think it's a snoby issue as well though. I grew up shooting an 870 for pheasants. I shot the gun "OK". When I moved to the South My wife bought me a used 686 White Onyx 20ga. I immediately started hitting a lot more birds, and I never missed lack of the third shot. I find that being able to choke the gun with an open choke for close shots and a tight choke for the longer shots greatly inhances my shooting ability. Add on how much quicker doubles are, and I'll never look back. I was the first in my family to switch to a double, then my dad did as well. When we went to SD pheasant hunting several years ago my dad and I easily outshot my brother and his 870. He got frustrated at times. Two years later my dad upgraded his 686 to a higher grade, and gave my brother his original 686. My brother quickly realized the same thing we had earlier, and he immediately began shooting much better. I'm not saying doubles are magic, but when your a mediocre shot like I am, an open choke on close birds can make you look a lot better then you are.

Ez4

Post by Ez4 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:07 am

I've had people several comment that my 12ga semi is too much for pheasant/quail. With a wide choke I've not once had a problem over-damaging birds. Not that I don't like the idea of adding a 28ga o/u to my collection at some point!

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:57 pm

The only kind of shotgun I am not fond of shooting with is an over and under. They just don't feel comfortable to me.

Bill T.

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:38 pm

The only thing I don't care for in a pump. I love O/U, S/S and repeaters. I never got the point of having several guns unless you have a different one for different types of game. I have an Remington 878a Automaster made in the '50s. It's the same exact thing as my first gun, but I lost that gun in a house fire, so when I was shopping for one not long ago I ran across it and had to have it. I like it because it's cheap, durable, looks good and fits me great. I like double guns, but they don't typically have enough drop for me, so I end up scrunching my shoulder up and dropping my head and do a lot more missing. I'd like to have my gun a little lighter and in a 20 gauge. I like repeaters a whole lot and will take one over a double gun any day even if they're not as pretty and I typically only load two shells it.

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:22 pm

12 gauge is a bit big for shooting just about anything over a dog, but 1 -1/8 oz #6’s seem to do OK down to Huns without obliterating the bird.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:32 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:Shoot the gun you like to shoot and can shoot. heck with anyone else's opinion. Lot of snobs in the upland world.
Tooling wrote:Shoot what you like & what works for you - anybody that looks down on your choices has problems unrelated to & beyond upland hunting. Just enjoy your time out in the field.
I agree with this completely as well as many others(just didn't want to keep bang'n the quote button) Even the guy who told his wife it was against the law :D In any case I do not care at all what anyone say's or call's me. :D just don't call me late to the grouse woods. It appears there are some down to earth grouse & woodcock guy's out there !

welsh

Post by welsh » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:54 am

I prefer an O/U or SxS for safety reasons: I do a lot of woodcock hunting in thick cover where I appreciate being able to quickly make the gun safe to crawl over, under, and through stuff, simply by breaking it open. Nothing is easier to handle than a break gun. If there's no need to crawl over, under, and through stuff, then it comes down to preference.

In any kind of social setting -- hunting in groups, public land where you routinely meet other hunters, etc. -- break guns are nice because you can easily see that the gun is open.

But safety is really in the operator rather than the gun ... I crossed paths with another hunter a few days ago who had his gun back over his shoulder, looked at me, turned the other way and barrel-swept me. If you're going to be sloppy and lazy in your gun handling it doesn't matter what you're carrying.

UglyD

Post by UglyD » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:48 am

Grew up with an 870 12 ga loved it- shot it for 30 years. I had hunted with other guns that Dad and Grandpa had but that was my gun- Then about 10 years ago I changed- went to a 20 ga 870- (0: About 5 years ago I picked up a 20 Benelli Montefeltro. Haven't hunted with anything since for Grouse , Chukars or Pheasants. Would someday like an O/U but that Benilli fits the bill for long CRP hikes and climbing for Chukars. Plus I am 27 for 31 birds this year and for me that's near perfection. With out those dogs I'd be whatever for 5

Tejas

Post by Tejas » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:05 pm

I used a 12 ga. Remington 1100 for about 30 years and then with a Citori 20ga for a couple of years then switched to a 20ga Benelli Montefeltro. I not going back. I don't call dove upland game because it is fairly stationary shooting. I shoot dove with a Caesar Guerini 28ga.

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:08 pm

Tejas wrote:I used a 12 ga. Remington 1100 for about 30 years and then with a Citori 20ga for a couple of years then switched to a 20ga Benelli Montefeltro. I not going back. I don't call dove upland game because it is fairly stationary shooting. I shoot dove with a Caesar Guerini 28ga.
My wallet fears looking at a Caesar Guerini 28g :|

Mikezx18

Post by Mikezx18 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:23 pm

I have and use all types. I shoot best with my old A-5 but I like to carry my O/U because it is light. It really doesn't matter to the birds or dogs. Whatever is comfortable within your budget and you can hit targets with is best.

Pepper

Post by Pepper » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:26 pm

I started out with a beretta 410 companion that my dad bought for me in the sixties. I now use a automatic Winchester in the 20 gauge. Very light and can walk a bunch with it in the field. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:29 pm

aulrich wrote:12 gauge is a bit big for shooting just about anything over a dog, but 1 -1/8 oz #6’s seem to do OK down to Huns without obliterating the bird.
I would take exception to that. The 12 is the most versatile gun on the planet. Hunt waterfowl in the morning with 1 1/4oz steel, hunt Hun in the afternoon with an ounce of 8's, shoot pheasant and sharptail with 1 1/8oz copper 5's. Lot of birds get up a good way out even over a pointing dog.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:44 pm

The action doesn't matter to me, as long as it shoots where I point. That being said I prefer 20 ga. shotguns. Maybe it's the weight, maybe superstition, I don't even know. But I do know that ever goose I've killed has been nearly on top of me.

MNTonester

Post by MNTonester » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:13 pm

In the woods I use a .20 gauge O/U. I never get a chance to shoot more than that anyway (although yesterday a third shot would have been nice). In the fields, it's a Benelli Monte semiauto

Lucky Dog

Post by Lucky Dog » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:27 pm

There are two types of upland hunters, those that kill birds, and those that carry side x sides.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:08 pm

Lucky Dog wrote:There are two types of upland hunters, those that kill birds, and those that carry side x sides.
Sounds a lot like a troll trying to start an argument.

Pepper

Post by Pepper » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:43 pm

I really believe it is not what shotgun we use, but what causes us to go out hunting and enjoy the day with or without a companion be it a dog or fellow hunter or both. I believe it is an inner self that gives us a sense of satisfaction in a very complex world and/or society. It gives us a sense of what we are and forget who we are in, in that moment.I believe this gives us reason to wake up in the morning. :)

hettmoe

Post by hettmoe » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:27 pm

Sorry....I can't even fathom the thought of hunting without a dog.

Deets

Post by Deets » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:37 pm

I shot a pheasant this morning on my third shot. I'm glad I had the option of a third. My hold up with doubles is the price. Anything decent cost $1,500 plus. I can take a lot of hunting trips for that kind of money.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:41 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
Lucky Dog wrote:There are two types of upland hunters, those that kill birds, and those that carry side x sides.
I didn't take it like that but rather a SxS guy pok'n fun at a single barrel guy :D Were all on the same team just different choices of what works best for us. I'm a single barrel man :)

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:56 pm

Deets wrote:I shot a pheasant this morning on my third shot. I'm glad I had the option of a third. My hold up with doubles is the price. Anything decent cost $1,500 plus. I can take a lot of hunting trips for that kind of money.
I think that depends on your definition of decent :)

Pepper

Post by Pepper » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:09 pm

I believe some folks are on a budget meaning wants and needs. Do what is in your budget and not sacrifice the needs. It just not makes sense otherwise. :)

Lucky Dog

Post by Lucky Dog » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:33 pm

Max2 wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:
I didn't take it like that but rather a SxS guy pok'n fun at a single barrel guy :D Were all on the same team just different choices of what works best for us. I'm a single barrel man :)
Actually neither.

Just a guy who has witnessed time and time again, a person switching from a side x side to a single plane gun and suddenly being able to shoot well.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:01 pm

Lucky Dog wrote:
Actually neither.

Just a guy who has witnessed time and time again, a person switching from a side x side to a single plane gun and suddenly being able to shoot well.[/quote]

+1. I've seen the exact thing. Yup. Owned both types.

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:33 pm

I've always been drawn the older 20 ga SXS. I had 12 and 20 gauge pumps and automatics but nothing shoots as well for me as my old SKB 280 20 ga with an English stock. I love the lightness of the gun and has always been by far the easiest gun for me to hit targets with.

I know people who love their pumps or automatics just as much.

41magsnub

Post by 41magsnub » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:57 am

I've bounced around to different general types of shotguns and have finally settled on my A400 Xplor's. I have both the 20ga and the 12ga both with the kick off feature. Love them both. Selling everything else now except one Winchester youth pump action 20ga and my beat up old 12ga wingmaster to be a catch all backup shotgun/loaner.

But to answer the OP, nope - don't care one bit what somebody else carries as long as they are safe with it and are not wounding birds excessively. On that note, we did finally have to ask a member at our hunting club to put away the 410 double he was using and go back to his 12ga, he was lightly wounding pheasants constantly, we didn't recover many of his birds. That was a shooter problem rather than a gun problem, but the 12ga fixed it.

We have folks running a cheap mossberg 500 up to expensive doubles and everything in between. The only guy that ever got any crap was the one that brought out his Browning gold 10ga 3.5" when we had a bunch of chukar in the field.
Last edited by 41magsnub on Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

41magsnub

Post by 41magsnub » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:01 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:Shoot the gun you like to shoot and can shoot. heck with anyone else's opinion. Lot of snobs in the upland world.
Heh - it's kind of the same thing in fishing. OU/SxS shooters = fly fisherman who looks down on the rest of them, semi-auto shooters = the guy with a fancy spin fishing rig, pump action shooters = the guy with a cheap bait casting set up siting in a lawn chair watching a bobber.

*Note - this is entirely in jest, well - mostly.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:21 pm

A good gun is one that fits and you are use to. Makes little difference as to type, how many shells it holds or how fast it shoots when you can hit what you are aiming at with the first shot.

Nutmeg247

Post by Nutmeg247 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:06 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:
Lucky Dog wrote:
Actually neither.

Just a guy who has witnessed time and time again, a person switching from a side x side to a single plane gun and suddenly being able to shoot well.
+1. I've seen the exact thing. Yup. Owned both types.[/quote]

I'm not a good shot, but for me the single plane is definitely easier. The SxS I have is more fun to carry assuming the terrain isn't too rugged, and mounts well, though. For rugged terrain my next gun might be a used pump that I worry less over wear and tear for.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:04 pm

I own a Camry and a 870, they are both super reliable and nothing to be ashamed of IMO, however I wouldn't walk across the street to look at either one, like I would a 65 mustang or a Win 21. A shotgun can be a tool, a work of art or both, nothing wrong with that.

P&PGunsmith

Post by P&PGunsmith » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:26 pm

The evolution of upland guns usually goes about like this. Pump gun handed down or very affordable to start. either stick with the pump for life or decide it is time to upgrade to the autoloader. the auto loader sometimes coincides with that time in our life when we want to shoot a lot and kill a lot. The auto loader becomes heavy to carry and we pick up some one double and decide that wow this is light, easy to carry and looks really cool. some try the sxs at this point and may go on to shoot nothing else, while some cant hit a darn thing but go on to the o/u and usually shoot better with a single sight plane. Some just go on to the o/u and love them.
Me, i shoot a very light 12 guage (touch under 6 lbs. ) o/u on upland game except dove, i reload to get a good load but light enough to use in the gun. i shoot an autoloader for ducks, geese and dove. it just gives better flow on pass shooting game than the shorter o/u. i also have several pumps, in fact the first gun i bought was an 870. i think Gene Hill said it best in one of his books , beware of the man with a well worn pump.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:42 pm

After 50 years of swatting flying stuff, I realize the profound mistake in not choosing the Browning Sweet 16 about 48, or so, years ago.
Style, practicality, esthetics and panache all in one superb shuffle-shucker.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:32 am

Ok so I am the O/P and I talked to my bud the other day and asked him how he had been doing with the SxS and he had complained that he wasn't hitting that good with it this yr. I simply said " don't take it to heart you look good carrying it" :D
All in good fun ! If you can't smile once & a while what good is it . That being said for anyone thinking about an auto loader and feel it may be to heavy for the grouse woods next trip to the gun shop pick up a Franchi Al 48 in 28 gauge and see what you think. I'm a single barrel man ! :D

P&PGunsmith

Post by P&PGunsmith » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:41 am

Mountaineer wrote:After 50 years of swatting flying stuff, I realize the profound mistake in not choosing the Browning Sweet 16 about 48, or so, years ago.
you can still get one on the online gun auctions.

P&PGunsmith

Post by P&PGunsmith » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:42 am

Nowadays there are numerous lightweight auto loaders such as the Benelli legacy and ultralight.

deke

Post by deke » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:26 am

This is the Ford, Dodge, Chevy argument all over again. I drive a chev, so i give my buddies crap that drive dodges or fords, and vice versa. We all know that each truck can do the job, but it is still fun to talk a little smack every once in a while. Same rules apply to compound bows, fishing gear, and dogs. Different strokes for different folks.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:58 pm

P&PGunsmith wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:After 50 years of swatting flying stuff, I realize the profound mistake in not choosing the Browning Sweet 16 about 48, or so, years ago.
you can still get one on the online gun auctions.

Yes, I have a couple and light 12s...older Belgium ones made new again by several sources.
An auto 5 is one scattergun that can be purchased on the net with the knowledge that it can be returned to service or better condition, comparably, easily.
There are things to be alert to ..but, generally, the guns respond well.
Dishragged a pheasant with a Sweet today in a neighboring state.
Just wish I had started....earlier, but most of us can be a bit fickle or fall to never really being satisfied.
Plus, it is so easy to blame whatever we are using for the mistakes between our ears.

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:49 am

Don't tell that to my old LC Smith. You might hurt its feelings. At almost 100 years old, who only knows how many birds it's killed. ;-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:16 pm

I think most people that have trouble with a SxS do because they are trying to sight over a barrel. Don't sight at all. Just get it mounted right and watch the bird. You'll see the barrels but sighting down them will hurt you. Been so long since I fired a single plane gun I suspect it would look strange. Gonna have to try out my mod 37 on birds this year, maybe a shooting preserve.

Pepper

Post by Pepper » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:37 pm

If you have the right shotgun, then by sighting the birds with your eyes, then the bird will come down. I find that being patient while bird flushing and using your eyes for the point of shoot and not to rush and shoot, will cause the bird to come down. When a bird flushes, concentrate on the bird with you eyes and mount and follow through. This will reduce the shoot on the hip response. :)