Problem with Foxes

mm

Problem with Foxes

Post by mm » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:25 pm

I train on a large property but it is in the center of all residential single family homes. The property is large and fenced and I watch it for the owner and in exchange I am allowed to train my dogs. My problem is there are several foxes on the property. We have had one incident where I was lucky to have two dogs down and they confronted a fox and killed it but not until it bit one of them. Today I came across two separate foxes while training. They are out in the day and they don't fear people you can get within 20 feet of them and throw something at them and they run fifty yards and turn and look at you. I suspect they are eating at the houses from garbage or people may be feeding them. It is not legal to shoot a gun in this town as it is very densely populated. Any ideas on how to get rid of them. I was thinking of a trap but not sure if it is legal.
MM

MonsterDad

Re: Problem with Foxes

Post by MonsterDad » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:35 pm

mm wrote:I train on a large property but it is in the center of all residential single family homes. The property is large and fenced and I watch it for the owner and in exchange I am allowed to train my dogs. My problem is there are several foxes on the property. We have had one incident where I was lucky to have two dogs down and they confronted a fox and killed it but not until it bit one of them. Today I came across two separate foxes while training. They are out in the day and they don't fear people you can get within 20 feet of them and throw something at them and they run fifty yards and turn and look at you. I suspect they are eating at the houses from garbage or people may be feeding them. It is not legal to shoot a gun in this town as it is very densely populated. Any ideas on how to get rid of them. I was thinking of a trap but not sure if it is legal.
MM
They are all over NJ now, as the turkey population grew so did the fox population. They will come very close to people like you said. Animal Control will not come and trap them.

CCBIRDDOGMAN

Post by CCBIRDDOGMAN » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:49 pm

Carry a slingshot. They will get to where they wont just hang out and watch you. I have a family of Red Foxes here at my house / neighborhood, they drive the dogs crazy at night running up and down the street and in between properties.

mm

Post by mm » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:06 pm

Slingshot is a good idea I will have to find one.
MM

41magsnub

Post by 41magsnub » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:13 pm

Air rifle? Probably still illegal but a lot less likely to get you caught! :twisted:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:50 pm

We have had foxes for all of my life and never knew them to be a problem unless you are free ranging fowl of most any kind. They do love them. We have a pair here right behind the house and it is nice to see them catching mice and moles. Actually saw the vixen catch a squirrel a couple of years ago. Sly little animals that don't fair well in the same area as coyotes. Our pair always raise a litter of 4 in the spring and the kits are really cute. I just never saw the dogs react to them while the dogs are kenneled and never see the foxes if the dogs are lose.

Ezzy

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:54 pm

I would hunt them with the dogs

Max2

Post by Max2 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:07 pm

I would call the town and tell them you have a fox problem and your concerned of a bad confrontation and that one of your dogs were attacked. They would probably hire a nuisance wildlife trapper and take care of the problem .

mm

Post by mm » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:02 pm

Here is the one they killed but there were 2 dogs and my small dog got bit and I suspect the bigger one killed the fox I heard it and when I got there he was already done. They don't run away and when I run a dog they stand there and watch and the dogs see them, they wont chase but when they get out running out of sight I don't want them getting into a fight.
mm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mm

Post by mm » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:04 pm

Sorry don't know why that's so big it is off my phone. Not sure how to fix it.
mm

BlackwellGWP

Post by BlackwellGWP » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:02 pm

I would take the dogs to the vet and get a rabies booster before you call the town. "IF" their rabies vaccines are expired...DO NOT call the town. By law, in many areas of the country, officials are required to test animals that have had contact with wild animals. You don't want to know what the test is for rabies ;(

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:48 pm

BlackwellGWP wrote:I would take the dogs to the vet and get a rabies booster before you call the town. "IF" their rabies vaccines are expired...DO NOT call the town. By law, in many areas of the country, officials are required to test animals that have had contact with wild animals. You don't want to know what the test is for rabies ;(
I wouldn't worry about a dog getting in a fight with a poor little 12 to 15 lb fox. They aren't much bigger that a house cat and sure aren't known as a fighter. Our little rat terrier would chase then away when we were kids, We wouid dig them out of their dens and raise the kits but you just couldn't really tame them. Sharp little animals though.

Ezzy

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:18 pm

most people think foxes are much bigger then they really are. Any sporting dog or terrier can make short work of one if confronted. However, as long as they are healthy they do a great job of keeping the vermin under control.

Personally I loved to see them trot by our house in PA. The terriers however were not so thrilled, and one was dispatched by my 13 lb Border Terrier. It was over before it really got started.

mm

Post by mm » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:10 am

I just have to many and they are always out there when I am training. They are like little nosey PIA's. I am pretty sure they are wise to the fact that I am putting out poor flying birds.
mm

Max2

Post by Max2 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:54 am

ezzy333 wrote:
BlackwellGWP wrote:I would take the dogs to the vet and get a rabies booster before you call the town. "IF" their rabies vaccines are expired...DO NOT call the town. By law, in many areas of the country, officials are required to test animals that have had contact with wild animals. You don't want to know what the test is for rabies

;(
Our little rat terrier would chase then away when we were kids,

Pound for pound the little rat terrier is a tuff little dog. I know folks who have told me theirs killed a raccoon twice it size without hesitation . As far as having a hunting dog not current with rabies shot to me could be dangerous for family and dogs. Call the town. The nuisance trappers love this type work .

rich223

Post by rich223 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:42 am

mm wrote:Slingshot is a good idea I will have to find one.
MM
Some slingshots are illegal in NY. And don’t ask me why?
http://www.slingshots.com/html/new-york ... -laws.html

mm

Post by mm » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:51 pm

Thanks I did not know that. I know why they are illegal it is because it is New York, nothing is allowed.
mm

CCBIRDDOGMAN

Post by CCBIRDDOGMAN » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:58 pm

A kid can walk down the street carrying a slingshot where I live (the great state of Texas). As long as he isn't being stupid with it.

BlackwellGWP

Post by BlackwellGWP » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:09 pm

Not saying the dog can't handle the fight. I know that my wires would not have a problem!! You need to understand your states laws on rabies before you start talking about it publicly. There was a recent story on a lady and her dog, the dog protected her from a coyote. Made the news and the state stepped in. Rabies vaccine was overdue, her choice was to quarantine at her expense for six months at a facility or test for rabies. The dog went away for six months, had she elected testing the dog would not come back if you get my drift..... The states don't mess around with exposure cases. I know it's crazy!!!! We can use our dogs to hunt them, but depending on any other situation it's the call of some local animal control officers if they are informed... Me personally, if you have rabies in the area, I would get the booster just to be safe!

Soooo, what would I do? Forget about the 1 fox down and don't mention it again. Since you can't shoot them, I would call the town and tell them that the foxes behavior is strange, and that they are chasing you, your kids and your dogs. Make it dramatic, act afraid, and I'm pretty sure they would be right on top of it ;) They would most likely be relocated up the island to state land.

Pepper

Post by Pepper » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:52 pm

Foxes and skunks here are not welcome. They are shot when seem and yotes as well. Good money on a yote's pelt in the winter. :evil: Our sage grouse numbers are very very low and so far it is due to the above.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:57 pm

Pepper wrote:Foxes and skunks here are not welcome. They are shot when seem and yotes as well. Good money on a yote's pelt in the winter. :evil: Our sage grouse numbers are very very low and so far it is due to the above.
Foxes do not kill many wild birds. They live on animals much smaller such as voles occasional rats, moles, etc. They are just too small to handle big game. They do a number on pen raised game on our hunt clubs though. Just don't understand anyone getting concerned about foxes unless you have chicken and ducks around the yard. They sure are no danger to a dog.

Pepper

Post by Pepper » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:09 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
Pepper wrote:Foxes and skunks here are not welcome. They are shot when seem and yotes as well. Good money on a yote's pelt in the winter. :evil: Our sage grouse numbers are very very low and so far it is due to the above.
Foxes do not kill many wild birds. They live on animals much smaller such as voles occasional rats, moles, etc. They are just too small to handle big game. They do a number on pen raised game on our hunt clubs though. Just don't understand anyone getting concerned about foxes unless you have chicken and ducks around the yard. They sure are no danger to a dog.
They eat eggs. :)

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:27 am

Rabies is an issue with so many foxes living close to people, though.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:13 am

MonsterDad wrote:Rabies is an issue with so many foxes living close to people, though.
Never heard of a fox with rabies though I suppose it could happen. But if that worries you , then you better be scared to death with coyotes, skunks, possums, raccoons, squirrels, and bats.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:16 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
MonsterDad wrote:Rabies is an issue with so many foxes living close to people, though.
Never heard of a fox with rabies though I suppose it could happen. But if that worries you , then you better be scared to death with coyotes, skunks, possums, raccoons, squirrels, and bats.
They all get shot on my property, I don't discriminate.lol And BTW, yes, I have seen a Fox with Rabies that attacked a woman while she was jogging down a busy trail.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:04 pm

We have had 3 people attacked by rabid fox in the last year in our area, also a couple coon, a feral cat and a cow.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:58 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
Never heard of a fox with rabies? I love the little buggers, don't get me wrong but a rabid fox is more dangerous than a rabid possum or raccoon.

http://www.nj.com/sussex-county/index.s ... abies.html

http://www.nj.com/middlesex/index.ssf/2 ... d_fox.html

rich223

Post by rich223 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:24 pm

All mammals are susceptible to rabies. Some like fox’s, bats, skunks, coyotes, raccoons and others are more susceptible because the way they inter act with each other during their mating season or how they establish territories or how they live in large numbers in close proximity. The scary thing is your dog can get tangled up with one of these animals and bring it home to you unless you take the proper precaution and keep the dogs vaccination up to date.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:29 pm

Haven't heard of a case of rabies in this area for many years. With all of the dogs vaccinated it just doesn't get much chance to spread within our domesticated animals. Just not something I would worry about.

gamekeeper

Post by gamekeeper » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:37 pm

They are very spooky in my area ,if my GWP or Border Terriers saw one they would run them out of town.Not really a threat.