Another pigeon question

Djanes

Another pigeon question

Post by Djanes » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:18 pm

I have been working on building a flock of homers. I'm down to one flier do to hawks. A baby will be ready to fly soon. Anyway my one flier if you want to call him that does not go anywhere. He walks around the yard and then flies back to the coop after a litle hike around the place. I want to start training him for distance but don't know if he will find his way back since he has never gone for a litle jaunt out and about. Should I just take him a mile away and see what happens? If he wont fly I guess he is of no use to me.

MGIII

Another pigeon question

Post by MGIII » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:12 pm

Take him out and see if he comes back. I don't know if it's good advice but I'd be curious to see if he came back.

CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Another pigeon question

Post by CCBIRDDOGMAN » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:29 pm

I am certainly no expert, but I wouldn't take him more than just out of site of the coop for the first two or three times if he has never flown around and checked out his surroundings. Then maybe 1/4 mile. If you still have him after that, a mile shouldn't be an issue. But again, thats just me and I am new to the pigeon thing myself but mine have became pets too so I try not to lose them. And I also don't have to take mine very far, I can train right at the hose & close by.

Djanes

Post by Djanes » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:01 pm

Thanks,

I have thought of taking him to the neighbors yard and letting him go there. I just figure he will probably walk home. But I mught give it a try first. I wish I could train in my yard but can't. I have 40 acres 15 miles from home and can train there. Just not convenient keeping the pigeons out there. If my luck does not improve, I may just start trapping pigeons as needed. Just think it's more fun having trined birds. In the end either I'll have a well trained dog or well trained pigeons.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:43 am

Are you sure you have homer's? Hawk's or no hawk's My homer's and feral's will fly when I let them. One thing is for sure, if your bird won't fly and won't come back at least from your training area it's of little use to you. But it sound's to me like you have something other than homer's.