Insulated outdoor dog house plans

chrisss

Post by chrisss » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:40 pm

Anyone have any good dog house plan available? I have a 80lb dd nd is in need of a warm dog house for to upcoming winter. He stays out side and would refer on with insulation and maybe a heat lamp thanks

deseeker

Re: Insulated outdoor dog house plans

Post by deseeker » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:07 pm

chrisss wrote:Anyone have any good dog house plan available? I have a 80lb dd nd is in need of a warm dog house for to upcoming winter. He stays out side and would refer on with insulation and maybe a heat lamp thanks
Don't use a heat lamp---I had a buddy come home to a flaming dog house because the lamp fell, landed flat on the wood and started the dog house on fire---It was a good thing it was a big pen so the dog could get away from the flames. Use a hound heater or something that is more safe :roll:

jfwhit

Post by jfwhit » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:04 pm

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:31 pm

I wouldn't insulate it but it should be free of draft's. Use straw for bedding, stuff is great. Don't use hay, It mat's down. straw is hollow and holds the dog's heat. Turn the opening away from the wind and set it off center, the dog can get behind the wall that way. Most dog's handle cold very well if you keep them dry and out of draft's.

MGIII

Post by MGIII » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:33 pm

DonF wrote:I wouldn't insulate it but it should be free of draft's. Use straw for bedding, stuff is great. Don't use hay, It mat's down. straw is hollow and holds the dog's heat. Turn the opening away from the wind and set it off center, the dog can get behind the wall that way. Most dog's handle cold very well if you keep them dry and out of draft's.

I agree with this

hettmoe

Post by hettmoe » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:43 pm

I guess I would insulate it if your dog lives in ND. :wink:

glk7243

Post by glk7243 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:45 pm

I built 3 of these many, many, years ago. They have lived thru multiple dogs. They work very well, warm in winter and cool in summer if ya paint em white. This new version has a porch, mine do not have that.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/articles/hun ... tt-mansion

Fun dog

Post by Fun dog » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:35 am

When we first had our sled dogs we we made un insulated houses for them and gave them straw for warmth. We had to clean the straw out several times a year. Now we don't live in a place considered cold by Alaskan standards, but one year we decided to insulate all the dogs houses. We added rigged foam and another layer of plywood. With the insulation there was no condensation inside the house and the straw stayed dry so we didn't have to clean the straw out, just replace it as it broke down. We never used heat of any kind. Check this out for some nice plans. Issuu.com/smellydog/docs/insulated-dogs-houses

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:47 am

I used the general design back when I needed outside houses. However, I hinged the front at the top so I could open it to clean but I also left it propped up in the summer so they had the open house plus a roof over the deck. Worked really well. Should have patented my design. I do think an insulated roof is a good idea.

Ezzy

UglyD

Post by UglyD » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:53 am

glk7243 wrote:I built 3 of these many, many, years ago. They have lived thru multiple dogs. They work very well, warm in winter and cool in summer if ya paint em white. This new version has a porch, mine do not have that.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/articles/hun ... tt-mansion
I used this design- no porch also- double walled- insulated the roof- put it on casters so I could roll them around the kennels to clean under and it keeps them off the concrete. We have our -20 plus days in Northern Utah- Not Dakota but none the less a bit nippy- dogs greet me when I come home- shake off a little straw and are certainly toasty.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:25 am

ezzy333 wrote:I used the general design back when I needed outside houses. However, I hinged the front at the top so I could open it to clean but I also left it propped up in the summer so they had the open house plus a roof over the deck. Worked really well. Should have patented my design. I do think an insulated roof is a good idea.

Ezzy
I deal more with heat than I do cold so your Idea sounds Perfect... I need to draw it up.

chrisss

Post by chrisss » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:33 pm

Would this fit a 80 pound dog

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:04 pm

I have pro built houses for my pointers. Several different sizes available. Very reasonably priced and durable. Several different door options available as well. I put hound heaters in mine with a door on. No worries about warmth at all. In he summer I prop open the doors and the dogs love to be inside them.

I prefer prairie hay or a similar hay instead of straw. I put a flake in each box and change it out once a week. Lids on these houses come off very easy. It's been my observation that straw will quickly flatten out and push off to the side out from under a dog.. A hay like prairie grass will intertwine and allow the dog to "nest" down in it and yet still have a thick base. When I had k9 condos (which I still have two) the owner gave me this tip about hay and also the owner of pro built said prairie hay was the way to go. A 55 gallon drum with a lid is an easy and clean way to store your bale of hay too.

LarryH

Post by LarryH » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:35 am

My 9 month old Lab pup sleeps in our heated-cooled garage. She runs on our fenced property. I thought about building her a house/kennel out back. But she's our pet and may end up sleeping inside.
I'm thinking of designs for my next home and may incorporate an attached dog kennel.

But we've only been in this place a year. And it took me 2 years to build. No hurry to move.

art hubbard

Post by art hubbard » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:11 am

duckn..grass hay +1