Get him out farther

Smathers003

Get him out farther

Post by Smathers003 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:00 pm

What's the best way to get my dog running in front of me more. Right now he spends a little time out front and then comes back to heel.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Re: Get him out farther

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:51 pm

Sounds like you taught him to heel before letting him run & explore on his own & become independent.You now have to forget heel & put him into as many birds as possible to get him fired up hopefully.
Once you have him running & hunting on his own then you can go back to heel if you feel it's necessary.Things like this happen when you apply to much pressure & obedience at too young of age it creates robots not stylish hunting dogs.
JMO

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:34 pm

A bit more info might help. What breed? Age and how much bird work. Has he spent time on a check cord or leash. Some dogs are not genetically programmed to run much. If this is a pointing breed letting him run, explore and find some birds should open him up a bit..................Cj

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:14 pm

I agree with Vonzep... somehow the dog got its desire to push out squelched a bit. The fact that it returns to heel means to me that it is coming to a safe place. The dog wants to be with you and feels safe near you. That is a good thing and you can build on it. You gotta try to put the run back and make being out front a safe place in the dog's mind.

I would keep walking and when the dog comes back to heel, and you do not want it to, I would cast it off again, just as you would when you start your hunt. No fanfare, no recriminations, just "attaboy go git 'em" type of thing. Birds will most likely take care of the rest.

As the dog is coming back in, you could call it in, so it becomes YOUR idea, not his. This will help when you turn the dog around and send him out again.

RayG

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:17 pm

cjhills wrote:A bit more info might help. What breed? Age and how much bird work. Has he spent time on a check cord or leash. Some dogs are not genetically programmed to run much. If this is a pointing breed letting him run, explore and find some birds should open him up a bit..................Cj
Include info on terrain, and distance.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:57 pm

I think we should get the guys who want their dog to not run so big , with the guys who want their dog to run bigger , and switch dogs. :) ( Just kidding folks.)

How old is your dog? If he's that pup in the basket in your avatar, I wouldn't worry. Independence takes time.:)

Personally I would say nothing when he came back ... just keep walking. Any word - negative or positive- is attention for the dog.
Last edited by Sharon on Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smathers003

Get him out farther

Post by Smathers003 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:02 pm

Appreciate the help guys. He is a two year old cocker that I've only taken out to hunt a couple times in southeast Pennsylvania. We just came back here from California where he was constantly on a leash. I assume that caused the majority of the problem. We went seven miles today and he was about 50/50 at my side or 30 yards out front. Will try again tomorrow and let you know.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:49 pm

Birds, birds, and more birds. He needs to figure out what those walks are all about. If you can carry a couple pigeons (one live and one freshly killed) with while hunting, you can help keep his interest up. As you're walking drop the dead one with your pup seeing, walk another 50 yards, and then bring him around and work your way back. Take your time and he'll find the bird and hopefully (if you've done some groundwork) he'll retrieve it. Then continue on your hunt. If after another half hour or so you don't get into more birds, dizzy the live pigeon and toss it behind you again, walk a little ways, then work your pup back into it... This time he should rush in anticipating a retrieve and flush the bird... Shoot the bird, and let him retreive it. This should keep his interest peaked, and if you do it right, he'll find both birds within a comfortable range.

A couple other things to consider... If a dog is out of shape, they may "rest" by walking next to their handler. Also, think about doing some formal patterning training.

Smathers003

Get him out farther

Post by Smathers003 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:18 pm

He was much better today. When he started to come back to me I would tell him to go hunt and he would just head on out. I notice though that he does better in the fields of I start him out in the woods. He seems to hit his stride in the woods and then carries over to the other terrain.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:54 pm

I think more than anything it's a bird contact/experience issue. My pup struggles at times to "Get out" but I chalk it up to her age (7 months). But when we get into the birds her range expands.

Pepper

Post by Pepper » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:13 pm

As said before...be patient. :) Let dog mature and gain your trust and in return.... :)