porcupine

ruffbritt4

porcupine

Post by ruffbritt4 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:39 am

While grouse hunting yesterday my dog got 20 quills in his face when he encountered a porcupine. I've heard most dogs want revenge after the first encounter and are likely to go after a porcupine again. Have any of you guys had a dog that wants to keep attacking them? And what did you do? Unfortunately we did not see the porcupine before, or would have used the e collar to show the dog that they are bad news. Thanks

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: porcupine

Post by Sharon » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:29 pm

I don't believe dogs think "revenge"; they are better than that , unlike humans.

One lesson is enough for some dogs, and some go back every time. :)

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:57 pm

Same way you snake break a dog, you porcupine break a dog. They're just another piece of trash. I kill em' all.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:26 pm

Yep, just like snake breaking. I've never had a dog get into one and learn a thing from it. You'll swear it's revenge!

birdshot

Post by birdshot » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:15 pm

And some never learn.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

omega

porcupine

Post by omega » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:19 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:Same way you snake break a dog, you porcupine break a dog. They're just another piece of trash. I kill em' all.
And if you kill em, please bury them and don't be lazy and leave them for the next dog to roll in!!

QuillGordon

Post by QuillGordon » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:37 am

I must be lazy then as I already have my hands full in the woods & do not carry a shovel to bury a Quilled Pig. Heck, I don't even think about it as most Pig encounters are rare. Out of say a hundred times out I have had approx. five encounters this past year.
Maybe I'll stuff a garden trowel in my back pocket next time out. :lol:
I've hunted or ran my hound in places that I have previously put the kibosh on a Porcupine and never had my hound want to roll in it...
I thought I had my boy cured & then he killed this critter and was back getting quilled again. Prey drive is too much in some...

gsp1985gj

Post by gsp1985gj » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:33 pm

Two dogs, each have had one significant and one minor episode. Have worked on avoidance every chance I get, the collar works. For me the small ones have done the most damage, my older dog got 450 quills on her first encounter and killed the porcupine. Big running dogs can find a lot of birds but it's a double edge sword sometimes.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:47 am

omega wrote:
gonehuntin' wrote:Same way you snake break a dog, you porcupine break a dog. They're just another piece of trash. I kill em' all.
And if you kill em, please bury them and don't be lazy and leave them for the next dog to roll in!!

Never buried one yet and never intend to. Train your dog.