Base for Kennels

woodsway

Base for Kennels

Post by woodsway » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:00 pm

Was wondering if anyone has ever used limestone in their kennel runs..Pros, Cons etc....Pea Gravel? Thanks for any input.....

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Base for Kennels

Post by shags » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:45 am

Not limestone, and not a kennel, but we use river gravel in a little dog yard where the dogs are kept when we don't want them running around in the big yard. It's about 10X30. We laid landscape fabric before putting in several inches of the stones, and contain the gravel with treated 6 foot X 8 inch posts we laid around the perimeter.
The cons -It's hard to pick up poop without picking up and wasting gravel too.
-If the dogs are in there too much, it can get smelly from urine. Hosing it isn't as simple as hosing a concrete run.
-The gravel tends to travel especially when the dogs are active in there, so we have to rake it back to the thin
spots. If we don't, the fabric is exposed and the dogs tear it up.
-I had to get after my puppy because he liked to chew stones and I was worried about him eating them.
The pros - For our situation, it keeps dog feet clean so they don't track so much dirt into the house.
- It's easy on their feet and I think it's comfortable for the old ones to lie down on.
- Not expensive to replenish.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:04 am

Had no problem for years with gravel, until my lab got bored and decided to fill his belly. $1200 later at the vet the concrete didn't seem like such a bad idea.

P&PGunsmith

Post by P&PGunsmith » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:33 am

I have had concrete, pea gravel and now decomposed granite.
Concrete is great, permanent and expensive. keep it rough for non slip and the dogs feet, this also makes it harder to clean but worth it if you are going to hose down.
Pea gravel went everywhere. I don't know how but it ended up in every part of the house and the yard. You lose a lot of material when picking up the turds. I dislike very much. it has been gone now for 8 years and it still shows up.
Decomposed granite if done right is very good and inexpensive. it compacts nicely and doesn't seem to travel. it also toughens there feet. turds are easy to pick up without too much loss of material. problem is they can still dig in it so you need concrete perimeter containment.

woodsway

Post by woodsway » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:19 pm

Thanks for the comments

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:28 pm

I used limestone at one time. If you use containment boards around it it will get about as hard as concrete and makes a pretty good surface.

Ezzy