Hunting gloves

Big bloc

Hunting gloves

Post by Big bloc » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:39 am

What type of gloves you use? Looking for something where I can shoot and find the buttons on the ecollar. Nothing big and bulky. Need to keep hands warm too. Right now it is18 and a 18mph wind. Thanks

denvergsp

Post by denvergsp » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:49 am

Under Armour cold gear liner gloves. They keep your hands warm and it feels like you have full motion of your hands and fingers. It's like you aren't wearing gloves. I just got my pair this year and I love them.

mnaj_springer

Re:

Post by mnaj_springer » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:30 am

denvergsp wrote:Under Armour cold gear liner gloves. They keep your hands warm and it feels like you have full motion of your hands and fingers. It's like you aren't wearing gloves. I just got my pair this year and I love them.
+1. They are warm but still allow you to manipulate your gun, ammo, e collar, remotes, etc. The only weakness is when they get soaked.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: Hunting gloves

Post by DonF » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:33 am

I might have to try a pair of those. Never had a pair of gloves that kept my hands warm and still allowed me to use the shotgun.

UglyD

Post by UglyD » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:35 pm

I might have to look into those- used to work in a pair a leather gloves until they looked like the Riflemans. Then earlier this year a saw a 3 pack of camo stretch with leather palms at Home depot for $9.99/ Bought them- great hunting gloves- slim - fit great and shooting is no problem- worn them all fall- It was 7 this morning - projected 2 tomorrow morning- I'll see how they are when it's below 27 for the first time.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:18 pm

UglyD wrote:I might have to look into those- used to work in a pair a leather gloves until they looked like the Riflemans. Then earlier this year a saw a 3 pack of camo stretch with leather palms at Home depot for $9.99/ Bought them- great hunting gloves- slim - fit great and shooting is no problem- worn them all fall- It was 7 this morning - projected 2 tomorrow morning- I'll see how they are when it's below 27 for the first time.

In really cold weather I always have hunted with a heavy warm left glove and a thin tight right glove if I had to have one on. I find it easy to carry the gun with the left hand and keep the right hand in your pocket most of the time. But the thin tight glove works in the trigger guard. I have used the shooters gloves that fold open or the ones with the index finger slit open. Don't like the slit as well as the open ones I started using while bow hunting.

Ezzy

P&PGunsmith

Post by P&PGunsmith » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:04 pm

I hate wearing gloves but have used the mechanics gloves which are pretty comfortable but not that great in cold cold weather. I tried last year the neoprene tactical gloves made by Hatch which kept my hands pretty warm in very cold conditions. There are lots of different manufacturers and thicknesses of tacticals all designed to be worn in cold weather and obviously have good feeling.

Escopeton

Post by Escopeton » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:10 pm

Because I have read "Pheasants of the Mind", I use normal leather gloves with the trigger finger tip cut off.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:19 pm

Some models of Glacier Gloves, worn with a silk liner, are fair for warmth and dexterity but, mostly, all one can do with gloves on...is whistle.

outofrshell

Post by outofrshell » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:58 pm

I start in the fall watching Walmart and when they get there new hunting clothes I look for a light Thinsulate glove that still gives you some dexterity,they usually only last a season or two but for the price thats okay.The problem is they never have the same gloves from year to year so if you find some that you really like stock up.I've looked at the brand names and more expensive ones but seems like as price goes up bulk and stiffness follow. One little trick I use that keeps your hands dry and doesn't impede your dexterity is use pair of nitrile gloves under a pair of light insulated gloves, carry a couple pairs of nitrile gloves and if your hand get damp from sweat change them out. Dave

Pepper

Post by Pepper » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:12 pm

Just my two cents...I will wear a heavy glove on my left hand (I am a right handed shooter) and a green military wool glove on the right with a hand warmer placed in the top part of my hand. Just shake and about 20 minutes later, it is giving off heat. They are small and plausible. :) I like wool because it still retains heat when wet. Just me.

Jakeismydog2

Post by Jakeismydog2 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:37 pm

I wear these:
http://t.homedepot.com/p/Grease-Monkey- ... /202709678

Which are pretty much gloves that are made out of pantyhose and thin dipped in a thin layer of rubber. (These are different than the standard rubber dipped work glove). They allow for almost 100% finger tip feel yet keep the the finger tips surprisingly warm.

Then a pair of these go over top:

http://www.basspro.com/White-River-Fly- ... ct/100145/

The whole setup costs less than $10.00

hettmoe

Post by hettmoe » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:17 pm

PDSC_6835=tc1b - Copye.JPG
Pepper wrote:Just my two cents...I will wear a heavy glove on my left hand (I am a right handed shooter) and a green military wool glove on the right with a hand warmer placed in the top part of my hand. Just shake and about 20 minutes later, it is giving off heat. They are small and plausible. :) I like wool because it still retains heat when wet. Just me.
Yeah. I'm a wool guy,too,on my shooting hand. I often wear an elkskin chopper with wool liner on my left hand. I just keep moving the hand warmer back and forth between hands if it's really cold. Our definitions of "cold" may differ. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:18 am

I am proud to say I wear the brown jersey type glove with the little grips dots . I hate gloves also but hate worse when my hands go south on me.

deke

Post by deke » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:32 am

I wear those little stretch gloves that you buy for little kids in the winter. Buy a few pairs for your pocket just incase you get them wet. They are just enough to keep your hands warm enough to move, but not bulky enough to slow you down. I usually only wear them in SD, mostly because of the wind. Go to walmart and spend ten bucks on them and you should be set, and you will have enough colors to coordinate with any outfit. :D

UglyD

Post by UglyD » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:10 pm

I might have to look into those- used to work in a pair a leather gloves until they looked like the Riflemans. Then earlier this year a saw a 3 pack of camo stretch with leather palms at Home depot for $9.99/ Bought them- great hunting gloves- slim - fit great and shooting is no problem- worn them all fall- It was 7 this morning - projected 2 tomorrow morning- I'll see how they are when it's below 27 for the first time.
UglyD Rank: Junior Hunter Posts: 98Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 12:29 pm

Looking at them now- they are called Firm Grip- as far a cheaper gloves- probably none better

MJB64

Post by MJB64 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:49 pm

UglyD wrote:I might have to look into those- used to work in a pair a leather gloves until they looked like the Riflemans. Then earlier this year a saw a 3 pack of camo stretch with leather palms at Home depot for $9.99/ Bought them- great hunting gloves- slim - fit great and shooting is no problem- worn them all fall- It was 7 this morning - projected 2 tomorrow morning- I'll see how they are when it's below 27 for the first time.

Looking at them now- they are called Firm Grip- as far a cheaper gloves- probably none better
You call them Rifleman's, we always call them "Heath Barkley's".

Pepper

Post by Pepper » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:12 pm

hettmoe wrote:
PDSC_6835=tc1b - Copye.JPG
Pepper wrote:Just my two cents...I will wear a heavy glove on my left hand (I am a right handed shooter) and a green military wool glove on the right with a hand warmer placed in the top part of my hand. Just shake and about 20 minutes later, it is giving off heat. They are small and plausible. :) I like wool because it still retains heat when wet. Just me.
Yeah. I'm a wool guy,too,on my shooting hand. I often wear an elkskin chopper with wool liner on my left hand. I just keep moving the hand warmer back and forth between hands if it's really cold. Our definitions of "cold" may differ. :)
Believe it or not...It does get cold here in the eastern side of Idaho. My definition of cold is when the dog's paws freeze up and they can't walk. You then end up trying to remove the ice in between the paws, and worst case you will have to pick them up carry them back to the rig. :)

Edit to post: forgot to add that there is snow on the ground. My bad. :)

UglyD

Post by UglyD » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:42 am

MJB64 wrote:

You call them Rifleman's, we always call them "Heath Barkley's".

Boy that shows my age- when Chuck put on those gloves someone was going to die.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.