Pigeons

ruffbritt4

Pigeons

Post by ruffbritt4 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:59 pm

What is your preferred method of getting pigeons? Do you trap them or catch them with a net?

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Re: Pigeons

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:16 pm

When I lived in the NJ 'burbs, there were feral pigeons all over the place. The first one was the hardest to catch.

Eventually I found that a box held up by a stick(tied to a string) and some cracked corn under the box and within an hour or so, I would have one pigeon. If I put that first pigeon in a pigeon cage, with bobs and some more cracked corn, I would have a half dozen birds in a few hours. As long as I had at least one pigeon, they were easy to catch. I would go out to the pigeon cage and remove most of the birds, leaving one or two and more would leave room for more to walk in. I had caught as many as 12 in a day. Most times I only needed three or four birds per training session.

I did go netting just one time...at night. Down the road from my home, there was an overpass for I-287. Pigeons roosted in there by the dozens. I put a net on a long bamboo pole and went there with a strong light. I caught about 20 birds in an hour, but I did not relish clambering around under the overpass in the dark, and I kinda wondered how my explanation would go over if the local gendarmes spotted me as they cruised on by, so I didn't do it again.

Now I live in Delaware and there are no pigeons or overpasses nearby. I do have an Amish fellow who will catch them for me off his farm. He has young boys who will clamber around the haymows and such. I am waaaay too old for that stuff. I pay him $2.50 a bird and when I use them, most of them fly right back to his farm, which works fine for both of us.

RayG

aksportsman

Post by aksportsman » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:57 pm

Step one: Buy bread, cracked corn, old cereal, rolled oats, bird seed, you name it...

Step two: Go to a nearby park where pigeons are feed regularly and there are lots of them.

Step three: Scatter some out get the birds excited then sprinkle some by your feet, continue to do so until you get some brave lil suckers close.

Step four: Grab the pigeon, one motion straight down, and stuff him in a box.

Step five: Repeat....

Try to keep the bird from flapping when you grab em. Put the back of their head between your middle and ring fingers, and hold the whole bird and wings so it doesn't make a commotion. They are so surprised and in shock they don't put up much of a fight and the others will waddle back as soon as you start feeding again.
Did this Tuesday caught 8 on one loaf of bread in 10 min.. pretty easy :)

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:01 pm

I've never tried trapping them. Got my start with a net and MTY barns. If you can get up to them, you don't need a net, just a flash light. Just walk along and pick them up one at a time. Like picking fruit. Been a lot of years since I've done that. Past 25+ years I've kept a loft of them, have two loft's now. There were time's in the past I had to sell some to get down on birds. Most my birds I let fly away and killed just enough to get the dog's going on shot birds. Then turned them over to quail. I think people make a huge mistake shooting to many of their pigeons, best training bird going. Teach with pigeon's finish with quail, or other game bird's.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:02 pm

aksportsman wrote:Step one: Buy bread, cracked corn, old cereal, rolled oats, bird seed, you name it...

Step two: Go to a nearby park where pigeons are feed regularly and there are lots of them.

Step three: Scatter some out get the birds excited then sprinkle some by your feet, continue to do so until you get some brave lil suckers close.

Try to keep the bird from flapping when you grab em. Put the back of their head between your middle and ring fingers, and hold the whole bird and wings so it doesn't make a commotion. They are so surprised and in shock they don't put up much of a fight and the others will waddle back as soon as you start feeding again.
Did you dream that up yourself? never heard anyone explain that before! Neat idea!

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:41 pm

aksportsman wrote:Step one: Buy bread, cracked corn, old cereal, rolled oats, bird seed, you name it...

I would love to see this! Sounds awesome!

aksportsman

Post by aksportsman » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:45 pm

Don F,
HAHA It was out of desperation and failed attempts, far to many at that. Eventually I tried the most basic thing possible.. I tried the trapping and with limited time I didn't have much success... I tried the cast net, it worked but not exactly a mess you want to deal with and they get skiddish real quick... tried a net and once again skiddish... tried overpasses at night, and well lets say i don't fit in with the local crowd.

walked to the park one day and wouldn't you know it, couldn't have been easier.

aksportsman

Post by aksportsman » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:49 pm

Ill have to ask a friend to send me his video, he thought the whole thing was pretty comical as well and took a video.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:48 am

A video would be great!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:17 pm

I go to the weekly small animal auctions.

"tried overpasses at night, and well lets say I don't fit in with the local crowd. " quote DF

I tried that only ONCE - the policeman who stopped was not happy. :)

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:08 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHrRxQVUFN4

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:10 pm

ruffbritt4 wrote:What is your preferred method of getting pigeons? Do you trap them or catch them with a net?
Better of starting with what you want them for ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb0bbznFCPo

nevermind

Post by nevermind » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:52 pm

polmaise wrote:
ruffbritt4 wrote:What is your preferred method of getting pigeons? Do you trap them or catch them with a net?
I watched this youtube video, but couldn't figure out what was going on....maybe I needed a translator. LOL!

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:16 pm

nevermind wrote:
polmaise wrote:
I watched this youtube video, but couldn't figure out what was going on....maybe I needed a translator. LOL!
Probably 'listening' rather than 'watching' LOL!