prepping for new gsp pup

mowermandan

prepping for new gsp pup

Post by mowermandan » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:07 pm

hello again my new gsp pup is coming in a few weeks and im prepping my buissiness for her as she will be living at the store with me and my brother im trying to decide wheather to go with chain link or electronic fence I have a small back area 30x30 in back its fenced on 3 sides with a roll up door into the shop and about a 70x5 ft area down the side of the shopopen on the far end im thinking of either closeing off the one end and putting a gate up across the entry [driveway] or putting wireless fence and setting it to cover back area but noy the front door so she would learn front exit means fun time is an 8 week old pup going to be quick enough not to get confused by electronic or should I stick with chainlink expence seems close either way so that's not a consideration by the way we will be with her pretty much 7-24 since this is our home and our buissiness

41magsnub

Re: prepping for new gsp pup

Post by 41magsnub » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:14 pm

Wow - you sound really excited about the new pup! No time to take a breath! :)

I'd say chain link, not sure I'd want to do a wireless fence on a brand new puppy.

Pepper

Post by Pepper » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:20 pm

Chain link got my vote as well. At a local hardware store I know of, the yellow young lab is a common place and folks enjoy the dog while shopping. Just don't go by the treats in bulk and look on what they have, because guess who will be there. LOL :)

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:55 pm

I vote for chain link as well.

Dogs can be escape artists. Invisible fence is only as good as your training and is only effective if you remember to put the collar on the dog,. Chain link is still chain link, training or not, electric power on or not, collar on the dog or not.

If the dog slips out of your grip at the back door or bolts past you through the door without the collar...what is going to stop the pup from getting into trouble? Answer: Solid fencing.

I would also consider putting down a small, (6X10) concrete pad and having a small run. 6X10 is as small as I would want to go for a bird dog, but it is adequate. My pointers are in 5X12 runs and they do just fine. Dogs can dig and get into all sorts of stuff when left to their own devices in a yard. You may think you can watch her all the time...but you cannot and it only takes a moment's inattention sometimes. They can't get into much trouble inside a 6 ft. high pen with a roof... on concrete.

One other thing...it is a female and she will come into heat twice a year. All it takes is for a neighborhood dog to jump the fence(and male dogs will perform some amazing feats when they smell a female in heat) and you have a problem. Even if you intend to have her spayed, you should not do that for at least two years to give her bones time to grow to full adulthood so she will be at risk for those two years.

RayG
Last edited by RayGubernat on Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:02 pm

The problem with a wireless fence is that any other animal/person can get in easily.

Pepper

Post by Pepper » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:54 pm

RayGubernat wrote:I vote for chain link as well.

Dogs can be escape artists. Invisible fence is only as good as your training and is only effective if you remember to put the collar on the dog,. Chain link is still chain link, training or not, electric power on or not, collar on the dog or not.

If the dog slips out of your grip at the back door or bolts past you through the door without the collar...what is going to stop the pup from getting into trouble? Answer: Solid fencing.

I would also consider putting down a small, (6X10) concrete pad and having a small run. 6X10 is as small as I would want to go for a bird dog, but it is adequate. My pointers are in 5X12 runs and they do just fine. Dogs can dig and get into all sorts of stuff when left to their own devices in a yard. You may think you can watch her all the time...but you cannot and it only takes a moment's inattention sometimes. They can't get into much trouble inside a 6 ft. high pen with a roof... on concrete.

One other thing...it is a female and she will come into heat twice a year. All it takes is for a neighborhood dog to jump the fence(and male dogs will perform some amazing feats when they smell a female in heat) and you have a problem. Even if you intend to have her spayed, you should not do that for at least two years to give her bones time to grow to full adulthood so she will be at risk for those two years.

RayG
Got my vote. :)

mowermandan

Post by mowermandan » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:14 pm

hey thanks guys I never considered outsider coming in so 6 ft chain link it will be the outside in influence just totally made that dececion for me