TEAM TRAD MENTORS NEW HUNTER

Irishwhistler

Post by Irishwhistler » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:15 am

Aye Mates,
T'is a known trend that the number of new hunters entering our "field sports" is dwindling and in particular, younger folks. Should this trend continue in an ongoing decline of young hunters, it will mot bid well for sustainability of such sports, nor for wildlife related programs, funding, and for our wildlife populations themselves.

TEAM TRAD was recently approached by a young lass (Mindy) that expressed an interest in learning how to hunt for ducks and geese. Having passionately pursued ducks and geese for a tad over 46 years o' me life, I knew in me heart that TEAM TRAD could set Mindy on course to become a competent waterfowler and upon the journey of fowling adventure that has enriched me own life in so many ways for so many decades.

I spoke with me most trusted gunning Mates and we invited Miss Mindy to join us on a field hunt for Canada Geese on the "opening day" of the second half of the split season. Despite torrential rain and frigid temps, Mindy remained focused and without complaint in our blind. She asked intelligent questions and took our pointers as helpful information as to how she might become a more experienced waterfowl hunter. In short, she was a total pleasure to have along for the hunt, and a whole lot more beautiful than the mugs I usually share a blind with. Ye might call it me "blind beautification program". :D

TEAM TRAD and Mindy take a break from picking up the decoy rig, just long enough to snap a post hunt photo.

How did Mindy enjoy her experience with TEAM TRAD? Me tinks the smile on her face in the above photo says it all. The little lass was so satisfied that she said she can't wait to get back together and do it again! Seems that handsome devil TRAD has been blessed with the curse of well pleasing the lassies. :D

So me Mates, do ye own part and try and get some new blood afield and share the passion ye have for hunting with others that might otherwise never get the chance. Bring some numbers into the sport and help maintain this most precious tradition that we all live for.

Cheers Mates,
IRISHWHISTLER
Last edited by Irishwhistler on Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

High Voltage

Re: TEAM TRAD MENTORS NEW HUNTER

Post by High Voltage » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:52 pm

That is awesome!

GSP4ME

Post by GSP4ME » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:39 pm

Way to go. Congrats to Mindy and thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge with someone who will no doubt some day do the same.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:32 pm

I sincerely hope everyone reads this and makes an effort to try it themselves. I know some of you already have but in my mind there is nothing in the outdoor life that equals the excitement on a beginners face when the experience something for the first time. I am in awe watching my dogs work and that has not lessened I don't think over the years but some of the memories I will never forget is the look on a grandsons face when I finally took him squirrel hunting after spending two or three years teaching him to shoot a 22 and handle the gun safely. So we went to the timber and wasn't seeing any activity so we were walking back to the truck and a squirrel high up in a tree chattered at us. With my grandson in the middle of a lane with out a tree to lean on he aimed almost straight up above his head and shot. And like most squirrels it held on to the branch for a bit before it fell and the look on the face as that squirrel fell after I am sure he thought he missed it was something no one can describe in words. I can't even tell you about it with out smiling myself. That day a hunter was born. And another memory is of a co-worker who I took hunting with our Britts, that was the first time he had ever seen a bird dog work. We walked quite a distance when Cappy went on point. I told him to walk in front and find the bird and as he did a rooster got up squawking as they do and he shot as the rooster disappeared over a hill. Cappy went after it as he was wondering how he missed it when she came back over that hill with the bird in her mouth, and as I pointed for him to look, the most astonished look came over his face and he was basically speechless as she brought the bird and gave it to me. Another new hunter, Brittany owner, wonderful friend, a memory that will never dim was made.

Try it folks, don't wait for someone to ask, but you make the effort to get someone into the field. You will be doing us all a favor but even more you will make a memory that will last your life time and beyond. These are just two of many that I was lucky enough to experience over the years but each are remembered oh so clearly even though this old mind is getting more forgetful it seems.

Ok back to the dull real world.

Ezzy

MGIII

Post by MGIII » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:03 pm

That's awesome. Great job

Irishwhistler

Post by Irishwhistler » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:11 pm

Many thanks Mates! Now get out there and share ye know-how with some would be hunters!

Cheers,
Irishwhistler

Pepper

Post by Pepper » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:44 pm

Congrats and thank you bringing another person to share the experience. :) Kudos man big time. 8)

Irishwhistler

Post by Irishwhistler » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:49 am

Thanks to all for ye kind comments. We have properly fitted Mindy for a shotgun and she will be gunning againmwith us tomorrow. This girl is hellbent on shooting her first Honker and I think tomorrow might just make her day. Sta tuned and I will make further posts on her developments as a waterfowl hunter.

Cheers,
Irishwhistler

GunDogAdventures

Post by GunDogAdventures » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:27 pm

Hats off to you mate! I've taken a couple of my daughter's friend-boys (as she calls them) out to expose them to upland hunting. I also took a Veteran, recently returning from Afganistan out for his first duck hunt this last year. All of us need to share our love of the sport with others - it can only help share nature, conservation knowledge, and commaraderie. Kudos!!