Chest/belly protector

RYNO

Chest/belly protector

Post by RYNO » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:41 pm

Looking for recommendations for a chest/belly protector for my little setter. Her nipples are getting rubbed raw on a long days hunt. I've read reviews on several brands and styles and a lot of them seem to cause chafing damage around the front leg pits, which already collect some cockle burrs. She's got a pretty short coat and not a lot of hair underneath... I'm thinking I should get her something before she gets tore up. Styles you like or dislike I'd like to hear.

Gertie

Re: Chest/belly protector

Post by Gertie » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:07 pm

I have a setter and I've lucked out and haven't had this issue. However, I read your post and remembered that my uncle runs his Brits with chest protectors so I asked him what he uses. He says he likes these two and has had good luck with both. Hope it helps.

http://www.filson.com/products/dog-ches ... duct=cc15/ http://search.dogids.com/search?asug=&v ... skid+plate.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:28 pm

I've used the SkidPlate protector on my dogs and it seems to work well, until there's snow. Then it just collects snow.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:05 pm

for retrievers:

SUGAR coat

" It is a cape-like coat in either camo or white water resistent shell (depending upon the time of year you are hunting) and has either a fleece or wool lining. The lining is removable so that the coat can be used at "warmer" temps strictly as a wind-shell or for drying out the coat. It has magnetic closures down the front opening so the dog can "break" out of the coat when sent for a retrieve. It also has a D-ring along the back edge so that you can stake the coat, so the dog can be sitting remotely from you, sent for the retrieve and not take the coat along on the retrieve with them!" quote 3 BD