"Elhew " Pointer sires

S'setter

"Elhew " Pointer sires

Post by S'setter » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:03 pm

I have a young elhew female pointer! Have bred several setter litter in the past. Fully understtand the pitfalls of breeding! So i'm consdering breeding her down the road! She's a fibber & sinbad grandaughter both sides! Even though there are many fine pointer lines out there! I'm only interested in "Elhew sires"! My preference I prefer the larger size, closer range grouse type Sires! Maybe a damascus, jefferson or sea wolf son? I would like to hear your input!

rinker

Re: "Elhew " Pointer sires

Post by rinker » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:03 pm

I have seen a couple of pups off of Four Rivers Commander, and really liked them. I think he is a Sinbad son. I don't know if your looking for more of an outcross than that.

Escopeton

Post by Escopeton » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:47 pm

My Duke is out of "Elhew" and "Miller" lines. His grandsire is Elhew Sinbad and his sire is Dateline Blacklist. Last spring I bred him to a Honky Tonk/Crow Little Joe lines.

"Duke" Conde Duque.

This is one of the pups he sired. "Jax" is doing well in his training. And, he lost his baby fat.

hustonmc

Post by hustonmc » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:26 pm

Y'all need to remember Elhew Sinbad isn't really what you'd call an "Elhew" dog. He's out of Elhew Swami, which her herself is only technically called Elhew herself because she was so awesome, her bottom side being that of super blue hen who was kinda a hodgepodge Elhew breeding by someone other than Wehle.
Sooooooooooooo, to answer your question on sires. There really isn't any "Elhew" sires that accessible. You could find an outcross pretty close. Me personally I'd look for a Rock Acre Blackhawk/Elhew something or other, preferably McGee. Where are you located? Are you wanting to do a life breeding? A.I. ?

art hubbard

Post by art hubbard » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:46 pm

I'm no e xpert on breeding or genetics, but I believe that Blackhawk and Mcgee are far removed from close working grouse dogs. imo

hustonmc

Post by hustonmc » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:56 pm

Come on Art. You should know as well as anybody you can develope the good dogs as you see fit. Sugar, Gena, Jake were just random bred dogs, but they were good weren't they? And there wasn't enough money in Idaho for someone to buy Gena from ya. ;)
Quite a few Fibber dogs that did well on the cover dog circuit, Blackhawk dogs as well. Just happens to be what I personally would do.

rinker

Post by rinker » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:55 pm

The OP's bitch is limbered Elhew Sinbad, who is a horse back open all-age dog.

art hubbard

Post by art hubbard » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:19 am

hustonmc, You are right on about those three dogs of mine you mentioned. They were Elhew bred dogs, but did not have any horse back dogs in back of them that I know of. Not trying to preach about breeding, but my experience with the Hawk dogs I have had were no way close to cover dogs. I'm sure there are some that will fit the bill but what are the odds against some of the Elhew dogs that have been bred for generations as cover dogs. By the way how do you know of some of my past dogs? I do have Elhew bred cover dogs now.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:01 pm

Pike (800x533).jpg
rinker wrote:I have seen a couple of pups off of Four Rivers Commander, and really liked them. I think he is a Sinbad son. I don't know if your looking for more of an outcross than that.
I have a Four Rivers Commander pup - he works big... and he is big - huge in fact! Tall drink of water. Love his retrieve and his hunt, but he is def. not "closer" working. He really stretches out on the prairie. He's only a year old.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SCT

Post by SCT » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:43 pm

Nice looking pup, looks like the bird caught him off guard?

S'setter

Post by S'setter » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:15 pm

Thanks for the info, input & advice! I like the four rivers commander
dog but am concerned about his range!
But he is the style & type.

ymepointer

Post by ymepointer » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:20 pm

Wild apple kennel I believe has some nice elhew blood out of Wynot ace. I think nitro kennels and superior kennels has elhew blood too. I have heard that crossing Blackhawk to elhew is pretty good nick. Matt has some nice dogs with elhew fiber base.

S'setter

Post by S'setter » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:13 am

ymepointer wrote:Wild apple kennel I believe has some nice elhew blood out of Wynot ace. I think nitro kennels and superior kennels has elhew blood too. I have heard that crossing Blackhawk to elhew is pretty good nick. Matt has some nice dogs with elhew fiber base.
Thanks... Took a look at those sites! Liked a superior male named "Striking Elhew Seeker" anyone have any input on him?

hustonmc

Post by hustonmc » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:41 pm

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5431

I do have this half Elhew bred dog. He is a 70+lb and the most stylish dog I've had. He is not what I call a big running dog. Although he has never been Grouse hunting. I have hunted him in all types of cover from willow/russian olive infested phez country, creek bottoms and cut him loose in rolling Hun country. He's a smart dude, runs to what the cover dictates.
Or you could just go to his daddy. I'll give you the contact info if interested. Your not going to find a more proven Elhew stud dog within 10hrs than you will with Bud.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:33 am

hustonmc wrote:Y'all need to remember Elhew Sinbad isn't really what you'd call an "Elhew" dog. He's out of Elhew Swami, which her herself is only technically called Elhew herself because she was so awesome, her bottom side being that of super blue hen who was kinda a hodgepodge Elhew breeding by someone other than Wehle.
Sooooooooooooo, to answer your question on sires. There really isn't any "Elhew" sires that accessible. You could find an outcross pretty close. Me personally I'd look for a Rock Acre Blackhawk/Elhew something or other, preferably McGee. Where are you located? Are you wanting to do a life breeding? A.I. ?
Exactly +1

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:44 am

S'setter wrote:I have a young elhew female pointer! Have bred several setter litter in the past. Fully understtand the pitfalls of breeding! So i'm consdering breeding her down the road! She's a fibber & sinbad grandaughter both sides! Even though there are many fine pointer lines out there! I'm only interested in "Elhew sires"! My preference I prefer the larger size, closer range grouse type Sires! Maybe a damascus, jefferson or sea wolf son? I would like to hear your input!
If you're wanting to go back to what Whele had success with get as close to Guardrail as you can. He sired two of his best females one of which is Grandmother to snakefoot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:07 am

Here's my direct son of Guardrail. He's for sale along with four Grandsons and five direct daughters of Guardrail.

ymepointer

Post by ymepointer » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:36 pm

.. Took a look at those sites! Liked a superior male named "Striking Elhew Seeker" anyone have any input on him?
No but he looks like a nice dog. I like early starters and natural retrievers myself. I would call and talk to the owner about him.
I also like that he is still a young sire.

S'setter

Post by S'setter » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:32 pm

Thx again for all the input! I'm still researching the sires! Anyone have any further suggestions? Please feel free to Pm me with suggestions if you prefer!
I've been contacting the owners to find out more.

ymepointer

Post by ymepointer » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:13 pm

You might try Bryan Hayes at choke bore kennels, or Elhew kennels.....not sure but recall he aquired Ehlew from Bob Wehle.