Hunting with intact male in cold weather

natel24

Hunting with intact male in cold weather

Post by natel24 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:22 pm

First off, sorry for this type of question but I am being serious. My puppy (9.5mo) and I went out hunting this morning for about 3 hours. The temperature at the start of the hunt was about 12 deg and 25 when we finished. A few inches of snow were on the ground too. When we get home from any hunt I always give my dogs a good look over for any injuries, tics or what have ya. First thing I noticed was his scrotum (ball sack.. sorry) was beef red, and the skin seemed irritated. it is not usually like this. Could this be frost bite? or is it just an irritation or chaffing from 14.5 miles (according to the garmin) of running through snow and switch grass? This is my first season hunting with an intact male so I am unfamiliar with this. I am half tempted to put some Vaseline or mushers wax on them. Thanks in advance.

And by the way the hunt went really well even though we came home empty handed. Saw a few wood ducks around the creek bottom, and 2 hen pheasants one of which we located 3 separate times .

Tooling

Re: Hunting with intact male in cold weather

Post by Tooling » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:34 pm

Just went through this w/my pup - poor fella' was so raw he was bleeding & we had more hunting to do.

Bag Balm for healing

This stuff just prior to going out made a huge difference - adds a protective layer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Munster

Post by Munster » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:31 pm

It can be a problem and can go beyond just red balls. My male actually lost his sperm count. I dont breed him in the winter now and I restrict how cold I hunt w=him when I have a bitch in for breeding. I have also modified some dog britches to help keep them warm and toasty.

Funny to some, but I dont really care as long as his little buddies are warm.

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:49 pm

Munster wrote:It can be a problem and can go beyond just red balls. My male actually lost his sperm count. I dont breed him in the winter now and I restrict how cold I hunt w=him when I have a bitch in for breeding. I have also modified some dog britches to help keep them warm and toasty.

Funny to some, but I dont really care as long as his little buddies are warm.
Wow, didn't know it would reduce sperm count - that's more serious than I would have known had you not mentioned it - that said, it was pretty serious looking and became incredibly raw + I know about nil when it comes to breeding.

We were in somewhat extreme conditions and the cover was insanely thick and harsh, didn't know if it was the cold and snow (8-10" + drifts) or the abrasion from the cover - just kind of thought both.

My better half said that she had an idea for something to make in order to cover them up but I just couldn't imagine something that would stay put in serious cover w/out getting caught and pulling off in a not so pleasant way for the dog. Would love a pic of what you have devised.

Although the Udder Delight does not say so on the front of the container, it does so in the descript on the reverse stating that it leaves a protective layer - it really made a big difference in following outings. Bag balm was good for after but you have to keep your dog from licking it off.

gamekeeper

Post by gamekeeper » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:49 pm

I use Vaseline often on all our dogs and it is very useful.

Pepper

Post by Pepper » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:12 pm

Good stuff. Use on females as well. Their teets get red and raw as well. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mowermandan

Post by mowermandan » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:13 pm

[ would think mushers wax would be a better pre outing treatment because it is designed for the protection of dogs skin and feet I hear it is excellent for freezing conditions and extra protection against cutting and abrasions