New E-Collar... Dogtra Edge, Garmin 550 or Garmin Alpha

S'setter

New E-Collar... Dogtra Edge, Garmin 550 or Garmin Alpha

Post by S'setter » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:55 pm

My old Tri-tronics field 70 (G2) is failing again (probably batteries again)! I've decided to replace it (after 4 sets of batteries & 2 repairs in 10 years)! Been researching new ones... Have searched & read most of the comments here... After marginal reliability with tri-tronics always quits working during hunting season? I seriously considering Dogtra... But I'm sure there are cases to be made for both companies!

Hunt heavy grouse cover & pheasants open fields! English Pointer Max range is 150 yd.
I want:
1 mile range
Expandable to 2 dogs for future
tone function (to train to recall in heavy cover or wind)
Vide function (would be nice but not required)

Any Input or advice would be appreciated!
My list so far...
Dogtra Edge (maybe RT doesn't have the screen) $399
Garmin 550 $399
Garmin Alpha (probably will never need the GPS?) $700

Vman

Re: New E-Collar... Dogtra Edge, Garmin 550 or Garmin Alpha

Post by Vman » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:05 am

If you don`t need the GPS I would recommend the Dogtra Edge. One button for each collar up to four. No switch to switch or find. By that time it is usually too late anyways. I like it for training also. I can put one collar on the neck and another around the flank if I am teaching steadiness. Very easy to operate, has Nic,Cont,Page[vibrate] plus a light. each light is the color of the collar, so you can see which dog is which at night. Has the one mile range, battery lasts a very long time with two hr, charge. It is one sweet collar system.

S'setter

Post by S'setter » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:48 pm

Thx Vman... I have not needed the GPS to date with this pup... But she's young? Really like the simple buttons!

gsp1985gj

Post by gsp1985gj » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:36 pm

The value of the GPS feature with the alpha is it allows you to see in the thickest cover what your dog is doing and for me its been invaluable in training me to keep my mouth shut and let my dogs work. I've run the alpha for two years now. The tt-10 collar (older model) has tone, momentary, and continuos stim, with 21 levels, much like the old pro 100. You can add twenty dogs, you can set up a page with training buttons (3 buttons) which gives you the option to have three quick settings to correct a dog (I use two buttons for continuous stim relatively low levels for my dogs and one for tone, which I use as a silent command to turn my dogs). In terms of features I think it is the best set up available, particularly for tracking.

I have had some issues with the collars taking charge (I have three) I've had to deal with garmin customer service to replace one. I don't like the charging set up and the exposed contact points (this is now the same on the pro 550). I don't really think the alerts to tell you your dog is on point are very useful. In general I've been really impressed with the unit and its reliability in the field; we hunt thick, mountainous covers, and streams and drainages. I've never had an issue in the field.

The 550 is great I use it for training and it's been great, have only had it for a few months. Garmin customer service probably isn't what tritronics was but so far so good I've gotten what I've wanted from them, though took some prodding and effort but they do stand by their products.

jfwhit

Post by jfwhit » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:17 pm

I was going back & forth between the 550 with Astro or Alpha 100 + TT15 collar. I chose he Alpha and have been happy so far. My 1yr Brittany has already been trained with the 550 so he knows what's expected of him (heel, whoa, here). I haven't needed to use the ecollar much in the field. If I felt he still needed some basic training, I would want a faster way to switch ecollar levels. Although being able to set the three buttons on what you want may be enough. Mine has the new vibrate feature, so I have one button on e-stimulus, one on vibrate (to help get his head back in the game), and the tone for recall. Also I have only one dog. I hunt fairly open territory. I don't need the GPS as much as I thought. It is comforting knowing I will never lose him. Only a couple of times I worried where he was. I had no need to shout or blow whistle (make excessive noise), keeping the hunt quite. I am also geeky enough to like knowing my tracks, dogs tracks, and how far we walked, where truck is, marking coveys, etc. Charging has not been an issue. I like the light.

I haven't tried the other collar so I can't comment.

This is my $0.02 worth. May actually be worth less than a penny.

S'setter

Post by S'setter » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:36 pm

Thanks for the great reports on the Alpha collars! I really like the Alpha concept of knowing where the dog is at any time & being able to correct! But the price, various reports of charging & battery problems.I really thought Garmin would correct the Tri-Tronics terrible warrenty & customer service! Instead most reports are it's getting worse!!! I'm going order Dogtra Edge RT as it doesn't have the digital screen!

jfwhit

Post by jfwhit » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:12 pm

you can't go wrong with your choice.

I personally have had no issues. I'm not getting the battery problem. It stays charged for what seems like forever, plus you get a car charger with the system. Also have had good customer service. Called them a couple of times. On hold at first for 15-20 mins, then uninterrupted help for as long as I needed it. Fine with me.

Never used Dogtra so keep us posted. I truly am interested.

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:20 am

Vman wrote:If you don`t need the GPS I would recommend the Dogtra Edge. One button for each collar up to four. No switch to switch or find. By that time it is usually too late anyways. I like it for training also. I can put one collar on the neck and another around the flank if I am teaching steadiness. Very easy to operate, has Nic,Cont,Page[vibrate] plus a light. each light is the color of the collar, so you can see which dog is which at night. Has the one mile range, battery lasts a very long time with two hr, charge. It is one sweet collar system.
Have you tried to marry 2 receivers to one position on your Tri tronics G3 or 550 so both of the recievers on the neck and flank go off together.

Vman

Post by Vman » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:13 am

Have you tried to marry 2 receivers to one position on your Tri tronics G3 or 550 so both of the recievers on the neck and flank go off together.
Why would I want too?

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:43 pm

Vman wrote:Why would I want too
Another option making the Tri Tronics a little more versatile .