Depression Ideas/experiences?

Windyhills

Depression Ideas/experiences?

Post by Windyhills » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:56 am

Well we have a new issue for us. Lost our old GSP a few weeks back to cancer complications that finally made it too difficult to keep her comfortable.

Problem is our other dog--her son--is quite obviously missing her badly. Whining for no reason frequently and he has never been much of a whiner for any reason. No interest in new toys. Hard to explain some of his other behaviors but there's no doubt whats wrong.

Still working on the SO to get another pup-- but I don't think I'll be ready until spring at the earliest in any case.

Timing is never good but was especially tough in that I haven't had the time to run him much lately. Took him out to a public hunting area in hilly terrain which did him some good over the weekend. Multi-day hunting trip likely in the near future but I fear only short lived relief. He's getting extra attention from everyone of course.

Any similar experiences out there to relate? How long did it last? Ideas that worked? Anything would be appreciated. Tough enough without our old gal around anymore as it is, real hard watching him as well.

I didn't bring him with when we had her put down, has that seemed to help others? I thought about it but assumed dogs can't process that experience in the manner we'd intend.

mnaj_springer

Re: Depression Ideas/experiences?

Post by mnaj_springer » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:11 am

Keep running him. If he likes to hunt it'll be good for him.

But also be aware of whether or not you're praising his whiny, sad behavior with the extra attention.

Sorry about losing your other pup :(

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:07 am

I have had luck with fostering other dogs during these periods but having multiple dogs now, it isn't as much of a big deal with them when one passes. When I've had two and lost one, I have found that fostering does seem to help, keeps the focus on the new dog and almost relieves the pressure for the other dog. I'm not sure that would work all the time, but it has worked for me in the past.

bobman

Post by bobman » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:35 am

Windy sorry about your dog its always hard losing one.

Bob

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:08 pm

I believe dogs do miss other dogs and humans. When my brother left for the RCMP, his Chessie would go out and lie at the end of the laneway every day waiting for him. The dog was found dead at the end of the laneway one day.

I'm not convinced another dog would ease your dog's grief, but I would probably try that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKBcs9tNWg8

Debf

Post by Debf » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:43 pm

It may be worth trying a foster dog - younger & opposite sex. Our first GWP (Oakley) was very attached to the older dog we had (Andi) and when Andi died she would search the house for her every time we came home for several months. However, we did have Oakley's son and she didn't seem to dwell on it too much otherwise. I know Max (the son) missed Oakley when she passed, but he then had a young DD to keep him company. Right now Max is days away from 15 yrs old and I know that our DD is going to be lost when he passes...I've been wondering how to ease her pain when this happens. I believe we will get a new pup eventually, but it will be hard on Aggie until the puppy comes...then it will be hard on Aggie trying to keep up with a youngster. Dogs! It's always something....

Good luck in whatever you decide - it's difficult to see them sad. Let us know how it works out.

Deb

Windyhills

Post by Windyhills » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:09 pm

Thanks everyone. Fostering isn't in the cards nor is a new pup for a bit, at least until spring. It's gotten a bit better. An out of state trip did him some good. He did pretty well, better than my shooting at least! :( Still needs more exercise than normal it seems. Very little snow so I can still run him around the house but hunting has wound down. Normally I would chase grouse--he's done well on them-- but that's gotten to be a bit scary in recent years once trapping season opens. My kid that he's closest to will be home from college for a while next week so that should help.