Metal or Plastic Barrels for Wild Quail Feeders

hi-tailyn

Post by hi-tailyn » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:28 pm

Wanting to help the wild coveys of quail that have shown up this year with our habitat improvements on our training area.

I have only seen people make feeders out of 55 gal metal barrels and was more interested in putting out more, smaller, feeders. I can get 20-30 gal plastic barrels and drill the same holes for the birds to peck out the milo out of the barrels.

Is there a problem with using plastic over metal. Does the plastic sweat any more then the metal?

Has anyone used plastic barrels and did they work as feeders for wild quail?

Luminary Setters

Post by Luminary Setters » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:46 am

The places I have been having success with either wild birds or pre-released birds avoid the use of feeder stations, and use random broadcast feeding. Their belief is feeders call the predators to the dinner table.

hi-tailyn

Re: Metal or Plastic Barrels for Wild Quail Feeders

Post by hi-tailyn » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:11 pm

Luminary Setters wrote:The places I have been having success with either wild birds or pre-released birds avoid the use of feeder stations, and use random broadcast feeding. Their belief is feeders call the predators to the dinner table.
That is what others had said when only putting out a few feeders. That is what I'm hoping to minimize.

Heard that putting several in a area in a way prevents predators from using them as a dinner table. Everywhere you would put one big barrel you could put 3 or so spread out through the cover to help prevent being dinner.

Wanting to know if I will run into problems using Plastic instead of Metal barrels for Milo.