Tipping guides

V-John

Re: Tipping guides

Post by V-John » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:41 pm

AZ Brittany Guy wrote: I know what its like to be a server, a bartender and a guy that carries someone's golf bag around and that is why I am a 20% tipper. In those day's I did my level best to give great service with a smile because my lively hood depended on it. We can complain about tipping until the cows come home but it's not gonna change in the foreseeable future. As a side note, back in the day as a waiter you had to pay the Service Director $10-20K to get a servers or doorman's job in the best houses in Las Vegas.

Other than that.......I don't have a real strong opinion about it. :mrgreen:
x 2. I know what it is to work for tips, having bartended and been a server, and delivery driver, for a long time. I make sure to tip, likely over tip.
Just the way I feel about it, I'm rather surprised to be honest at others disdain for tipping. I have no idea what to tip a guide to get to the topic on hand.

will-kelly

Post by will-kelly » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:51 pm

Ezzy you can research most questions like How did tipping ever get started? by googling it. There are a ton of resources on the web.

Here's a link to wikipedia's take on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gratuity

It looks like it's been around for quite a while. As for the whole living wage thing, not everyone that works in the service industry does it for a living. I know you may find this hard to believe but some people do it for the fun, some for the human interaction, some do it for the health care benefits and many do it for the tips.

There's a reason people respond to "good tippers". The old I love it when the Smith's come in for dinner. The husband's a really good tipper.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:17 pm

I can live with 20%, it's easy to figure! :D

I still feel you don't tip a person for doing the job they're paid to do, you tip them for exceeding your expectations. If they don't like it, let them go get a high paying job. I'm not going to add to their income just because they don't want to work a regular eight hour day.

I also think there's a HUGE difference between paying a wild bird guide and paying a preserve guide. Any one with a trained dog can be a preserve guide; they know where the birds are and the birds are in specific field. Wild bird guiding is a whole different ball game. Those boys work for their money. Unless you're driving pheasant in SD.

V-John

Post by V-John » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:42 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:I can live with 20%, it's easy to figure! :D

I still feel you don't tip a person for doing the job they're paid to do, you tip them for exceeding your expectations. If they don't like it, let them go get a high paying job. I'm not going to add to their income just because they don't want to work a regular eight hour day.
I'd venture to guess that most work to put them through school. Supplemental their income. Many other various reasons that you really can't judge them for why they are working in the service industry. I severely doubt it has to with "wanting to work a regular eight hour day"

At least that was me. I supplemented my income through college, and even now. And I work an eight hour day.
Without these people we would all be getting our own drinks and food and complaining about that too, I'd imagine.

jubal

Post by jubal » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:53 pm

Why would anyone need a guide for pen raised planted birds? So they will furnish a dog?

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:10 pm

John, I' talking about bird guides, preserves specifically. They are paid considerable more than a minimum wage waiter.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:30 pm

V-John wrote:
AZ Brittany Guy wrote: I know what its like to be a server, a bartender and a guy that carries someone's golf bag around and that is why I am a 20% tipper. In those day's I did my level best to give great service with a smile because my lively hood depended on it. We can complain about tipping until the cows come home but it's not gonna change in the foreseeable future. As a side note, back in the day as a waiter you had to pay the Service Director $10-20K to get a servers or doorman's job in the best houses in Las Vegas.

x 2. I know what it is to work for tips, having bartended and been a server, and delivery driver, for a long time. I make sure to tip, likely over tip.
Just the way I feel about it, I'm rather surprised to be honest at others disdain for tipping. I have no idea what to tip a guide to get to the topic on hand.
I haven't seen anything here that would suggest any disdain for tipping, just that it should not be a requirement. I have always been a good tipper when the service is good but I in no way feel obligated to tip for less than great service. And I certainly would not return to any business who required a tip or added it onto the bill. That is just not what tipping is about!

Charlie

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:18 pm

I don't know about bird preserve guides, but I tip generously anyone who I figure is probably serving me for $10.00 an hour - hair dresser etc. I consider it a charitable donation.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:22 pm

birddogger wrote:
V-John wrote:

I haven't seen anything here that would suggest any disdain for tipping, just that it should not be a requirement. I have always been a good tipper when the service is good but I in no way feel obligated to tip for less than great service. And I certainly would not return to any business who required a tip or added it onto the bill. That is just not what tipping is about

Charlie

It seemed that it was a simple question..."how much should I tip" and turned into a discussion on why you shouldn't tip and employers should pay their people enough that tips were not necessary. Kinda took a negative tone when all he wanted to know was how much.
Last edited by AZ Brittany Guy on Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

V-John

Post by V-John » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:42 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:John, I' talking about bird guides, preserves specifically. They are paid considerable more than a minimum wage waiter.
My bad. Other posts alluded to the service industry.

On an other unrelated topic, Jane's land went up for auction. You should buy it. :)

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:15 am

V-John wrote:
gonehuntin' wrote:John, I' talking about bird guides, preserves specifically. They are paid considerable more than a minimum wage waiter.
My bad. Other posts alluded to the service industry.

On an other unrelated topic, Jane's land went up for auction. You should buy it. :)
That's really depressing to me. What a great and unusual lady. Is Russ still alive?

will-kelly

Post by will-kelly » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:25 am

AZ Brittany Guy wrote: It seemed that it was a simple question..."how much should I tip" and turned into a discussion on why you shouldn't tip and employers should pay their people enough that tips were not necessary. Kinda took a negative tone when all he wanted to know was how much.
You are spot on with this one!

You know what they say...it's hard to teach and "old dog" new tricks.

Tip or don't tip, the choice is your's.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:25 am

will-kelly wrote:
AZ Brittany Guy wrote: It seemed that it was a simple question..."how much should I tip" and turned into a discussion on why you shouldn't tip and employers should pay their people enough that tips were not necessary. Kinda took a negative tone when all he wanted to know was how much.
You are spot on with this one!

You know what they say...it's hard to teach and "old dog" new tricks.

Tip or don't tip, the choice is your's.
There are not many simple questions on an open forum.
Personally, I thought it was quite interesting. Didn't get the negative tone........................Cj